New Tama Starclassic Performer line, maple/birch

The W/B has the quick release tom mounts and the quick release floor tom legs. Not sure if the previous B/B Performers had them since htey were introduced with the STAR series (minus the little extra sliding support bar).

It appears that they don't brand the W/B as a Performer anymore, and that the "Performer" name is associated with a budget line of drums.

Still, the new Performers do have memory locks for the Starcast mounting system , they just don't have the quick release.
The B/B did in fact have quick lock tom brackets and Starclassic bass drum spurs (part number MSB30). And that was a Performer.

Yeah, point being, the Bubinga is only avaliable to top end Star kit and Tama decided walnut was a good alternative to Bubinga (not gonna argue about that, it's good).

Well, there obviously must be a reason why they not only replaced Bubinga with Walnut in the Starclassic hybrid shells but even offer a full STAR Walnut line. Surely not because walnut would sound bad ;-)

The B/B did in fact have quick lock tom brackets and Starclassic bass drum spurs (part number MSB30). And that was a Performer.

And also, the Superstar Hyper-Drive also has the memory locks on the Star-Cast mounts.

Star-Cast on the Superstar Hyper-Drives is taken over from the “old” Starclassics, yes, but all in all, the new Starclassic Performer has 1:1 the same hardware as the current Superstar Hyper-Drive and none of the current other Starclassic series (except for the lugs, obviously), there’s just no talking around it.

The BB line moved to the quick lock mounts and the wing mount Tom holder for the 2016 production run. Prior, they had the same brackets you’re seeing used with these new birch/maples. Those brackets had, and have, memory locks.

I believe the BB run started in ‘07. I also want to say the quick locks also marked the end of the Omni tune line and ushered in the Star line as the flagship model. I suppose my point there is that there are a lot more BB kits out there sans quick locks than there are with. There are also those who prefer them that way.

There are also those who prefer them that way.

True, there are quite some people who really don't like the wobble of the Quick-Lock brackets and one could argue that they're not really necessary, as you have memory locks either way.

For rack toms, I actually couldn't care less, however, I really came to appreciate the Quick-Lock brackets on my floor tom.

True, there are quite some people who really don't like the wobble of the Quick-Lock brackets and one could argue that they're not really necessary, as you have memory locks either way.

For rack toms, I actually couldn't care less, however, I really came to appreciate the Quick-Lock brackets on my floor tom.
Ha, different strokes, as they say. My experience with the floor toms was the opposite.

I wouldn't say they're a deal breaker for me, but I'd at least lean towards quick locks being an example of a solution in search of a problem.

Got a Star Walnut kit in August, and previously owned an old Rockstar kit with Starcast mounting system. I also have a Mapex Velvetone kit with it's own mounting system that uses a hex L-rod. I tore down the Star kit for a couple of weeks and just set it back up this week. I've got to say, the Quick-Lock made the entire process a breeze and, to me, absolutely makes a huge difference.

True, there are quite some people who really don't like the wobble of the Quick-Lock brackets

I don't like the wobble of the Starcast system because it actually affects the sound with a vibrato. To some extent, Tama improved this in the STAR line with a bottom hoop mount point, and not much of an issue for a lighter player but anyone that take a wallop on the rack toms with larger sizes, always a vibrato due the Starcast system. You can hear on the Sweetwater 10" tom review, some seem to move more than others which I don't if it's the angle of the setup or not.

I don't like the wobble of the Starcast system because it actually affects the sound with a vibrato. To some extent, Tama improved this in the STAR line with a bottom hoop mount point, and not much of an issue for a lighter player but anyone that take a wallop on the rack toms with larger sizes, always a vibrato due the Starcast system. You can hear on the Sweetwater 10" tom review, some seem to move more than others which I don't if it's the angle of the setup or not.

I actually have the same issue on the floor tom. With the Quick-Lock system, it wobbles like crazy. It won't fall or anything, but there seems to be a lack of stability.

As far as the Starcast system, most vendors that use a 2 point mounting system all have the same structure.

I actually have the same issue on the floor tom. With the Quick-Lock system, it wobbles like crazy. It won't fall or anything, but there seems to be a lack of stability.

As far as the Starcast system, most vendors that use a 2 point mounting system all have the same structure.
Mine only wobbles when I forcibly push it with my hand. When hitting it with sticks, there is no noticeable wobble to me.

A little underwhelming. They sound fine though.

Inflation of "new" drum kits is kinda nuts.. 2017/2018 SC B/B used to run 1400~1500 for 4pc with the premium quick lock hardware. Aside from finish, this spec of drums would have likely ran closer to the 1k mark 4 years back.

Basically looks like a glorified superstar hyperdrive with starclassic lugs. Also note, Tama tolerance on shell roundness is 3/16 instead of 1/8th like DW or Pearl. That includes the more premium SC maple. I asked directly. Cant comment on the Japanese SC maple or Star drums.

I'm confused by all the cheap nitpicks here, as if this is a top-line kit when really a low-mid kit. Performer < SC W/B < SC Mple < Star
They made a Starclassic line as affordable as SLP and you get some of the main attributes of whats in the Starclassic line. If they give too many features, it hurts their high-end line. If you don't like what the Performer provides, cough up the cash for the options you want.

I did, but I wouldn't dare pay the 3k MSRP my shell pack/exotic finish/hardware sells for in 2020. Bought last years inventory before the price hike.

I would argue Tama could ship Japanese made SC maples for the same or little more and net the same profit margin as they are now due to tariffs. I would honestly prefer that..TBH. Made in Japan has a notion of top end quality to my generation. Not saying the Chinese SC maples aren't good, but theres subtle things I could comment on.

Last edited:
Also note, Tama tolerance on shell roundness is 3/4 instead of 1/8th like DW or Pearl. That includes the more premium SC maple. I asked directly.

Wut. You're saying they allow a shell to leave the factory that is 3/4" out of round? That can't be right.

Mine only wobbles when I forcibly push it with my hand. When hitting it with sticks, there is no noticeable wobble to me.

Same here. My Velvetone kit doesn’t have quick lock floor Tom legs, but the feet of the legs have a spring in them that allows the drums to float without feeling wobbly.

Also note, Tama tolerance on shell roundness is 3/16 instead of 1/8th like DW or Pearl. That includes the more premium SC maple. I asked directly. Cant comment on the Japanese SC maple or Star drums.

In terms of the out of roundness, you’re saying Tama allows for 3/16” in their cheaper Chinese made kits? What is Pearl and DW’s tolerance for their cheaper kits (Sessions Studio, Masters, Designer & Performance series kits)?

In terms of the out of roundness, you’re saying Tama allows for 3/16” in their cheaper Chinese made kits? What is Pearl and DW’s tolerance for their cheaper kits (Sessions Studio, Masters, Designer & Performance series kits)?

They allow up to 3/16 for all Chinese made kits/snares in that specific factory. Including the now pricey Starclassic maple. I think the bearing edges are sanded down better on the SC line vs cheaper superstars. Not sure about the newer performers.

DW should be 1/8th for all their lines including collectors.. I think most of the Taiwanese Pearls are 1/8th... which is quite standard on the "high end".

Last edited:
I did, but I wouldn't dare pay the 3k MSRP my shell pack/exotic finish/hardware sells for in 2020. Bought last years inventory before the price hike.
List price is 2020 was even higher for the SC Maple Exotics. Official Tama 2020 price list showed $4,600 USD for a 3pc Exotic shell pack.
In Europe it’s quite a bit cheaper. List prices here are around $2,000 less for the same Exotic shell pack configurations.
Granted, the actual dealer price is something different again, but in Europe it’s actually not too different (because all taxes are already included in the listed price).

I would argue Tama could ship Japanese made SC maples for the same or little more and net the same profit margin as they are now due to tariffs. I would honestly prefer that..TBH. Made in Japan has a notion of top end quality to my generation. Not saying the Chinese SC maples aren't good, but theres subtle things I could comment on

I see a new 4pc SCM ~$2700. A Star maple 4pc I see ~$5000-6000. I don't think you can bring back a made in Japan SCM line without undermining the STAR line which is marketed as boutique Japanese craftsmanship.

Same here. My Velvetone kit doesn’t have quick lock floor Tom legs, but the feet of the legs have a spring in them that allows the drums to float without feeling wobbly.
That's the thing; the Starclassic floor toms already came with their version of floating floor tom feet, which I think are a pretty novel, effective, and elegant solution used by a number of prominent manufacturers.

I see a new 4pc SCM ~$2700. A Star maple 4pc I see ~$5000-6000. I don't think you can bring back a made in Japan SCM line without undermining the STAR line which is marketed as boutique Japanese craftsmanship.

They sell brand new 4pc Starclassic maple kits "made in japan" for around $2500 MSRP USD converted in Tokyo music shops. It really depends on profit margins and what they feel is acceptable. BoM cost is obviously much much lower than you would think which leaves shipping as the only factor.

The MSRP for my 3 pc Chinese exotic was 3k for 2020..List being higher, but no one really cares about that. I obviously paid much much less.

Japan has always had the MIJ starclassic line, but the rest of the world got chinese models around 2010 to maximize profit. With B/B getting discontinued a couple years back, Japan got their first Chinese starclassic kit with the W/B. While they still produce both Maple and pure Bubinga lines.

Id argue with the newer performer and US tarrifs, theres legitimacy here. They also recently brought the current exotic finishes to the japan factory while they were exclusive to china for a handful of years.

This is the Chinese site mind you ^ Seems they're importing MIJ SC maple kits to china.. while they make SC maple domestically for everyone else...

I think 3k would be a fair MSRP for a 3pc MIJ SC MAPLE exotic if you factor inflation cost from the early 2000s. food for thought ;)

Last edited:
Back