Heavy Metal/Power Metal Drumming.

SebastianRFC

Hi, I have been playing drums for about 1,5 years and I love listening to heavy metal, power metal and all sorts of metal. But I play on a cheap electronic drum set, and I don't know which drum set to get for around 2150 euros. I live in the eu so most of the things here are more expensive. It would be nice if it was a 7 piece drum set.

I'd focus on a 5 piece kit for now. Use the money you would've spent on the extra 2 toms on high quality cymbals instead. Buy add-on toms later.

Buying used drums is always a great option. You can save a ton of money and get something higher quality.

Since you live in Denmark, maybe you could list a bunch of new and used kits that are available in your area, and we can tell you which ones are best.

In Europe, brand new Sonor Drums and Meinl cymbals are cheaper than the rest of the world. Though on the used market, you can find literally anything.

Is there a band you particularly like the sound of the drums on? Usually the drummer in endorsed and you can find information about their setup online. And then you can use that to work out an acoustically similar and cheaper alternative.
If you love Iron Maiden, for example, a top of the range Sonor and Paiste combination like Nicko's would set you back around 25000 euros. But a nice set of mid range Sonors and some good Paistes would be well in your price range. :)

There isn't really a market for used drums in Denmark, but the sites I buy from are called Thomann and Gear4music. They have danish sites.
I like the sound of Metallica and Dragonforce.

Hi, I have been playing drums for about 1,5 years and I love listening to heavy metal, power metal and all sorts of metal. But I play on a cheap electronic drum set, and I don't know which drum set to get for around 2150 euros. I live in the eu so most of the things here are more expensive. It would be nice if it was a 7 piece drum set.

Tama Superstars(?) come in either Maple and Birch with a 7 piece I believe. Under 1000.00 USD around here in a Music Store. I visited one of your greatest furniture makers a couple of years ago..I quite enjoyed Odense and the surrounding area.

In terms of power metal and thrash, yeah, the big classic tom runs think Iron Maiden - Nicko on pretty much everything lol, Metallica - Lars on stuff like Creeping Death that classic tom run intro, Megadeth - Nick on Holy Wars, Slayer - Dave tom runs all the time, etc. In terms of death and black metal maybe not as much or at least not as pronounced big runs down the toms.

I think of Metallica as more rock-oriented metal. To me, metally-metal is just straight blast beats.

We've gone off topic here but as someone who got turned onto Heavy Metal at the back end of the 70s as a 13 year old and lived it for the next half dozen or more years, Heavy Metal = Judas Priest, Saxon, Accept, Scorpions, Manowar, Motorhead, Dio etc. Plenty of tom tom work there.

Back