Recent content by Gdog

1. G

Atlas arch

OK so I'm 3 years late to the party. I just put the Atlas Arch on my Gretsch Renown for my toms (I bought two arches) and for the most part, it's rock solid on there. The one rack tom hasn't budged, but the heavier one has moved down about 1/8" due to the weight of the tom. So I thought I'd...
  2. G

New Tom mounts for my Gretsch Renown Maple

I love that finish. I grew up a wood-grain guy, but bought these because I always loved the Renown lineup. I couldn't find the '57s that made me fall in love but these popped up in mint condition just as covid hit the world. So they've been patiently waiting along with me for a chance to get...
  3. G

Thanks! I'm loving it. It's been a few days and these things haven't budged. Not even when they're asleep.
  4. G

Greetings everybody! I was finding with the clamp-on tom mounts that I was flying off of my cymbal stands, that the toms would sag during play, and sometimes just while they were sleeping waiting for me they'd drop down. I couldn't get the socket tight enough around the ball, and I wasn't a...
  5. G

Gretsch Renown Maple vs RN1

It depends on the finish and if you're attached to the burst if that's the case. It can be shaved both sides or one side. To preserve the looks of a burst They'd have to cut either end and move spurs and redrill lugs on both ends. For mine it was a consistent sparkle so he cut the batter...
  6. G

Not yet, but I'm going to take it all out somewhere and do a little photo shoot. This lockdown stuff and no live music thing is making me crazy LOL
  7. G

What's your latest purchase?

My latest purchase is a drum modification to my bass drum. I had my Gen-1 Gretsch Renown maple 20x22 cut down to a 14x22 and it THUMPS now. Incredible sound for my taste, and sized for my gigs and style. It took me a while to commit, but I'm so glad I did. Pardon the different lighting in...
  8. G

So it's been a couple of months since I posted this thread. I didn't go with the trade. I liked my Generation 1 Renowns better than the RN1 and the finish grew on me. I DID take it to TRS drums for a shell cut-down and made a day of it. Lockdown was really bumming me out but it was worth...
  9. G

Thanks guys, I investigated the bd cut down, and there's a custom drum guy about 4 hrs drive (so it's a day trip), but haven't decided that route. Was going to go to 16, possibly 14. I like the precision work, but I'm in Ontario. Shipping this gorgeous pig wouldn't be cheap, and with postage...
  10. G

Thanks! I've played a 20x16 some time ago at a music shop but it was so cost prohibitive at the time, I just walked out. Loved the sound of it. Just Wasn't in a financial position to buy it at the time. My biggest concern has to do with it being possibly a step down. I'm curious as to the...
  11. G

Hey all, I've got a question re the Gretsch Renown series. I have a pre-RN1 Renown Maple in slate Silver sparkle (black square badge) with the 20x22 cannon bass drum. Rims style mounts but say GTS on them. The sound and quality are amazing but that bass is a monster on a small venue. I...
Back