Opinions on Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare.

OK, a couple of things you might want to know as a future FF owner:

First, you can put pretty much any 14" diameter shell into the frame. A real FF shell doesn't have a bottom bearing edge -- the bottom edge is flat and rests on a "shelf" of the frame and the bottom edge of the frame has the snare-side bearing edge -- but a shell that has a bottom edge cut will still work. This means that you aren't limited to Pearl shells -- you can use other brands, make your own from Keller ply blanks, change to a stave shell, a steambent shell, even acrylics. If the shell you insert is thicker than the frame (like with a stave shell) it doesn't matter; the added thickness will be on the inside of the drum and it will still seat securely. (If you're using a previous snare shell that has holes and beds cut, they will act like additional vents and you will have a VERY dry drum.)

Again, the depth of the frame is about 1.5", so you can change depth depending on what size shell you use. If you put a 5" shell in, you'll have a 6.5" drum. If you put a 6.5" shell in, you'll have an 8" drum, etc.

Second, you can change the lugs when you change depth -- Pearl makes these lugs in 3 different lengths. But they also charge about $100 for a set of lugs. All you really need is longer tension rods, though, which are just a few dollars. My own FF is originally a 3.5" depth, so I can use different tension rods to make it any depth above that, for around $15 per depth. And when you do that, you also open up the possibility of really cranking that batter head, because the top hoop won't touch the lugs -- for those who tune that high.

^-----That's what I was talking about "Jeff knows his stuff, just listen to him". :)

Great info, Jeff. I was ignorant of the obvious that I could use any shell. Man o man...the possibilities...shoot, I'm sure I could get you to make me a shell ;)

Rocket shells in california can make you a carbon fiber shell for it as well, Those things look awesome and sound even better. Plus you only need to pay them to cut the bearing edge on one side.

http://www.rocketshells.com/

bright,cutting, and resonant. pretty much describes them and they're also loud, too loud if you like to play your snare hard which I do. This drum can easily overpower the rest of your kit.

IMO the die cast hoops PEARL uses are pretty weak. If you turn this drum on its side and tension one lug you can see the hoop flex in that spot as you get in the higher ranges. A lot of die cast hoops are weak this way.

AQUARIAN Hi-ENERGY head's are the loudest/crispest sounding heads I could find for these snares.

If you take them apart you'll notice the bottom tension rods are shorter (as assembled from the factory), on used drums sometimes the bottom rods will mistakenly find their way onto the batter side.

The strainers and buts overextend these drums, make them a tough fit into cases and some bags.

Last edited:
I've got three of them, 5.5x14 Maple, 3.x15 brass and I just got a 6.5x14 steel and I love all of them! They have a pretty wide tuning range and you can get a resonant sound of them whenever you please. My maple one talks back for sure! These really are musical drums as opposed to some that I've heard. As Jeff pointed out, you can swap out shells for a different sound. The drums are heavy in weight but I haven't seen them as being bulky looking on stage. I always keep an eye out on my kit when we're on break because I've had a couple of people get a little too close8^). I do want to try out one of Jeff's creations. I've heard a lot of good about them and hey, I'm from Carolina too.

OK, a couple of things you might want to know as a future FF owner:

First, you can put pretty much any 14" diameter shell into the frame. A real FF shell doesn't have a bottom bearing edge -- the bottom edge is flat and rests on a "shelf" of the frame and the bottom edge of the frame has the snare-side bearing edge -- but a shell that has a bottom edge cut will still work.

So where to get a real FF shell? Are there any sonic difference if I used a real FF shell and a normal shell?

This means that you aren't limited to Pearl shells -- you can use other brands, make your own from Keller ply blanks, change to a stave shell, a steambent shell, even acrylics. If the shell you insert is thicker than the frame (like with a stave shell) it doesn't matter; the added thickness will be on the inside of the drum and it will still seat securely. (If you're using a previous snare shell that has holes and beds cut, they will act like additional vents and you will have a VERY dry drum.)

Cool I can even use an acrylic shell eh? But where could I get 'em? Hmm...

Again, the depth of the frame is about 1.5", so you can change depth depending on what size shell you use. If you put a 5" shell in, you'll have a 6.5" drum. If you put a 6.5" shell in, you'll have an 8" drum, etc.

Second, you can change the lugs when you change depth -- Pearl makes these lugs in 3 different lengths. But they also charge about $100 for a set of lugs. All you really need is longer tension rods, though, which are just a few dollars. My own FF is originally a 3.5" depth, so I can use different tension rods to make it any depth above that, for around $15 per depth. And when you do that, you also open up the possibility of really cranking that batter head, because the top hoop won't touch the lugs -- for those who tune that high.

I see, so any kind of tension rods will do?

^-----That's what I was talking about "Jeff knows his stuff, just listen to him". :)

I see, yea I'm listening alright...

Great info, Jeff. I was ignorant of the obvious that I could use any shell. Man o man...the possibilities...shoot, I'm sure I could get you to make me a shell ;)

He makes drum shells? Cool.

Rocket shells in california can make you a carbon fiber shell for it as well, Those things look awesome and sound even better. Plus you only need to pay them to cut the bearing edge on one side.

http://www.rocketshells.com/

Carbon Fiber? Like the plastic stuff on F1 cars? wow Didn't know that could be made into a drum shell...Nice! Thanks for the Info.

bright,cutting, and resonant. pretty much describes them and they're also loud, too loud if you like to play your snare hard which I do. This drum can easily overpower the rest of your kit.

Ouch too loud...that's what my friend (the seller also said)... =\ Nevermind that...I'm sure I can get over this. :D

IMO the die cast hoops PEARL uses are pretty weak. If you turn this drum on its side and tension one lug you can see the hoop flex in that spot as you get in the higher ranges. A lot of die cast hoops are weak this way.

If you take them apart you'll notice the bottom tension rods are shorter (as assembled from the factory), on used drums sometimes the bottom rods will mistakenly find their way onto the batter side.

Ouch...weak hoops...Are they gonna affect the play-ability? Or is it just the Nature of Die Cast hoops? Since you said that many die cast hoops are weak that way.

The strainers and buts overextend these drums, make them a tough fit into cases and some bags.

Hmmm will take note about.

AQUARIAN Hi-ENERGY head's are the loudest/crispest sounding heads I could find for these snares.

Wait since you said it may be too loud why make it louder?

???

I've got three of them, 5.5x14 Maple, 3.x15 brass and I just got a 6.5x14 steel and I love all of them! They have a pretty wide tuning range and you can get a resonant sound of them whenever you please. My maple one talks back for sure! These really are musical drums as opposed to some that I've heard. As Jeff pointed out, you can swap out shells for a different sound. The drums are heavy in weight but I haven't seen them as being bulky looking on stage. I always keep an eye out on my kit when we're on break because I've had a couple of people get a little too close8^). I do want to try out one of Jeff's creations. I've heard a lot of good about them and hey, I'm from Carolina too.

I see, thanks for the opinion :) Just a quick one, are they really that loud? (The maple one)

I have one as well. I originally bought it as a 5.5 x 14 Brass shell. It's loud, it cuts, and it cracks very nicely. I recently switched out the lugs (which were like $14 a piece, hella expensive for 10 lugs, and I had to special order them) and made it a 6.5" and got a Pearl FF maple shell from DrumsOnSale.com for $115. Pearl made different FF snares for different years some some hardware on the drum is different than older FF snares. I really love the maple shell, although I think it is a little on the thin side. Much more controlled and not as belligerently loud as the Brass. I play mine with an Ambassador X head. I used to use an Emperor X, but that, I think is way too thick. One thing to remember is that these drums are meant to be cranked up pretty tight. Very Nice snare overall

Ouch...weak hoops...Are they gonna affect the play-ability?

No, its the nature of that die cast design. Some die cast hoops aren't that rigid really, they flex at high(er) tensions.

The FF is one of the loudest snares out there, it may work for you, but I find myself having to hold back too much on them b/c I like to hit the snare hard(er). The intent wasn't to make it 'louder' w/the Hi-ENERGY head, it was just the result of putting that head on, that head allowed the FF to be all it could be IMO.

They're great snares if you like tight and loud. Some people can benefit from that. They won't fit in a standard 14" case, at least the 1st generation models anyway, which is what I owned/played... strainer/but extends too far.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 9,401
Last edited:
Hi people of DW Forum,

I'd like some thoughts on the Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare, which I think I may be buying in the future form a friend of mine though not anytime soon, as I currently not enough funds Do you think it's worth it? He's selling for RM600(roughly 180USD?) The seems condition is good enough.(according to the pics)

I have yet to hear the real sound but according to my friend he describes the sound as bright,cutting, and resonant. I'd like some pros & cons of this snare for you pro people...(to me at least :p) Anyways here's a taken from my friend's phone.

6519848789_56e48f90fb.jpg

I prefer feedback from those who owns this Snare. Those who don't own it are also welcomed to give some opinion on it.

Reply Soon.
BB
I just bot a vintage mahogany shell from precision drums to go with mine (made with poplar and african woods apparently) - I'm looking forward to this. will report on it's sound (im a jazzer fwiw).

btw op - those drums (not the snare) look nice - what are they? That's like one of my favorite colors for drum wrap finishes.

edit - precision 5x14 shell.

They won't fit in a standard 14" case, at least the 1st generation models anyway, which is what I owned/played... strainer/but extends too far.

Yep. 1st gen had the hex lugs too. You definitely needed a bigger case to accomodate the extended wires on those. I owned one too. Worst drum I ever owned in terms of tuning. It was an absolute nightmare to tame......horrid, squealing overtones that just couldn't be tuned out no matter how I dialled it in. The only drum I've ever had to use a big thick Emperor X head on in order to control (in fairness I believe it was that particular drum as opposed to a general problem with them, but nonetheless....).
I was lucky enough to trade it off for a newer model. That was truely a trade that rolled in my favour......night and day in terms of tuning this one and the newer models have a standard strainer and wire set up. No problems fitting one in a standard case.

I have one as well. I originally bought it as a 5.5 x 14 Brass shell. It's loud, it cuts, and it cracks very nicely. I recently switched out the lugs (which were like $14 a piece, hella expensive for 10 lugs, and I had to special order them) and made it a 6.5" and got a Pearl FF maple shell from DrumsOnSale.com for $115. Pearl made different FF snares for different years some some hardware on the drum is different than older FF snares. I really love the maple shell, although I think it is a little on the thin side. Much more controlled and not as belligerently loud as the Brass. I play mine with an Ambassador X head. I used to use an Emperor X, but that, I think is way too thick. One thing to remember is that these drums are meant to be cranked up pretty tight. Very Nice snare overall

Thanks for your opinion!

Ouch...weak hoops...Are they gonna affect the play-ability?

No, its the nature of that die cast design. Some die cast hoops aren't that rigid really, they flex at high(er) tensions.

The FF is one of the loudest snares out there, it may work for you, but I find myself having to hold back too much on them b/c I like to hit the snare hard(er). The intent wasn't to make it 'louder' w/the Hi-ENERGY head, it was just the result of putting that head on, that head allowed the FF to be all it could be IMO.

They're great snares if you like tight and loud. Some people can benefit from that. They won't fit in a standard 14" case, at least the 1st generation models anyway, which is what I owned/played... strainer/but extends too far.

Alright, thanks for the info...and what's that pic for?

???

I bought a snare once because I assumed it was a good drum and it had a great price. Never again will I buy a drum cause it looks good or has a good price. Hear it for yourself, and try tuning it the way you would. Does it sound good to you. I eventually traded that snare on a better one and played many til I actually found a drum that sound incredible.

I now have a arsenal of snares which all were purchased according to the way they sound. One of my favorites is a Ludwig Supraphonic which I bought at a music pond shop. The drum is very pitted but it had the Lud-A-Loy sticker on the inside and is dated back to the 70's according to the badge. I paid $50 for that drum! So shop sound not price or looks.

I just bot a vintage mahogany shell from precision drums to go with mine (made with poplar and african woods apparently) - I'm looking forward to this. will report on it's sound (im a jazzer fwiw).

btw op - those drums (not the snare) look nice - what are they? That's like one of my favorite colors for drum wrap finishes.

edit - precision 5x14 shell.

Looking forward to that report!

The drums are Pearl VML which he is also trying to sell but I've already got a Kit (Mapex M series) Also in the same colour...so I'm not gonna buy his kit anytime soon...Though I like the Pearl 1000 series hardware :3

Mine used to fit nicely in my Protector case which is square.

Square cases? Cool.

Yep. 1st gen had the hex lugs too. You definitely needed a bigger case to accomodate the extended wires on those. I owned one too. Worst drum I ever owned in terms of tuning. It was an absolute nightmare to tame......horrid, squealing overtones that just couldn't be tuned out no matter how I dialled it in. The only drum I've ever had to use a big thick Emperor X head on in order to control (in fairness I believe it was that particular drum as opposed to a general problem with them, but nonetheless....).
I was lucky enough to trade it off for a newer model. That was truely a trade that rolled in my favour......night and day in terms of tuning this one and the newer models have a standard strainer and wire set up. No problems fitting one in a standard case.

Okay...how can I know if the one in the pic is new or the older model?

I bought a snare once because I assumed it was a good drum and it had a great price. Never again will I buy a drum cause it looks good or has a good price. Hear it for yourself, and try tuning it the way you would. Does it sound good to you. I eventually traded that snare on a better one and played many til I actually found a drum that sound incredible.

I now have a arsenal of snares which all were purchased according to the way they sound. One of my favorites is a Ludwig Supraphonic which I bought at a music pond shop. The drum is very pitted but it had the Lud-A-Loy sticker on the inside and is dated back to the 70's according to the badge. I paid $50 for that drum! So shop sound not price or looks.

Will do it. Heard it, sounded good to me but maybe alittle loud. But I think I'd (only) be taking it out for Gigs. ~.~

Ist generation has square tube lugs and the rollers on the strainer/but are spring loaded.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    119 KB · Views: 12,972
Back