Where have all the OTHER DW drums gone?

Mikecore

Silver Member
How come every search I've done in an attempt to find DW prices yields nothing but Eco-X drums, from Guitar Center to my local drumshop? What If I'm interested in something with an actual color on it, or bass drum sizes OTHER than 22"?

Because the DW kits are very custom. They are very literally made one at a time.

The retail price varies depending on the finish.

Thus you're not going to find much a price list around the net, because there are too many variables.

In stock kits will almost always feature a 22", because that's the most popular size.
Kits with 24" tend to not move, and 20" are only appealing to a certain (small) segment of the market.

If you want to see all the options, you need to go into a reputable dealer and discuss what it is YOU want.

How come every search I've done in an attempt to find DW prices yields nothing but Eco-X drums, from Guitar Center to my local drumshop? What If I'm interested in something with an actual color on it, or bass drum sizes OTHER than 22"?

last time i checked you could go on DW's custom setups builder, build your set, and get a quote for the set

worked for me a few months back

That's not really what I was driving at. The problem is that the ONLY thing I'm seeing all of a sudden is Eco-X, whereas Collector's Series and others used to appear either as entire kits or as orphaned drums, scratch & dent, whatever....and I could at least get a ballpark idea of where such drums sat in the market (that Jazz Series 16x18" bass drum that the guy didn't want after all, for example).

Also, I used to have a price list from a few years ago, and that showed that DW prices were broken down into general categories, so all of the Finishply had a list, Satin Oil had another, Lacquer another and so on. Then you added another 10% for black, brass or satin chrome hardware, blah, blah. All of that was online a few years ago.

Now, it's Eco-X uber alles, as though we are supposed to forget that DW is capable of making something out of maple or mahogany. I want to know what's with the shutout?

That would be a dealers list. It is broken down into specific drums, their dimensions and which finish you choose. If you want a quote on a set you have in mind then contact a dealer, but each drum is priced individually. When I ordered my set the receipt had the dimensions and price of each drum on it. I suppose it isn't online anymore because international dealers (like the store I work for) have their own price lists in their specific currency. A kid coming in with the US price list and wondering why it's 40% more at your store and wanting it at that price isn't exactly a good situation.

As for Eco-X kits being so abundant in the marketplace, I would assume that DW are trying to really push them to the public. Also, music stores generally order NEW products, not old ones, hence why most kits in store are VLT/X-Shell hybrids or Eco-Xs, and 22" is the most popular bass drum size. DWs are a slow enough moving product as it is, one with an 18" or 20" bass drum would be even harder to move. It's the same reason you don't see a lot of Jazz or Classics kits around. Most stores can only afford one DW (if at all), and the Collecter's Series is the fundamental line of DW Drums.

If you want a price on a DW Collectors, ask for a quote from a dealer. It will be worth a few grand for them so I would think they will bend over backwards to help you, I know I would.

The Five Star drum shop where I shop always has 12 to 15 different DW kits in their shop. Most of them are the Collector series with a few Classics and one or two Jazz kits thrown in. They do move drums, lol. There are not many shops that can afford to keep such an inventory.

Dennis

I see where you all are coming from. I was hoping to find something online, since most drumshops keep shorter working hours than I do, but I'll just have to pester those guys in person, I guess.

It's kind of moot anyway. I just found a kit estimate from a couple of years ago in my notebook that puts me in the ballpark I was looking for to begin with.

Thanks, all!

The Five Star drum shop where I shop always has 12 to 15 different DW kits in their shop. Most of them are the Collector series with a few Classics and one or two Jazz kits thrown in. They do move drums, lol. There are not many shops that can afford to keep such an inventory.

Dennis

Well I'm insanely jealous of you.

Back