Let's Talk Snare Drums

Ludwig chrome over brass supraphonic. It's perfection. All I would ever need is that, plus a Craviotto maple snare.

ye i heard that one is good i might get it. Ludwig supraphonic 14 by 6.5 is the best though.

the good...
Ludwig 402 Supraphonics!
Craviotto (anything, really)!
Vintage Slingerland and Ludwig 3-ply (hit and miss...but, oohhh when they "hit")
Drum Workshop Black over Brass!

and the bad...
Gretsch round badge 3-ply snares!
Those snares with huge/multiple vent holes--any company!
Asian maple snares (sound just like cheap beginner snares)!

...that's all I got, and it's just my opinion. Can't wait to see what everyone else says...

out of the 2 snares i have not all ive played.

good.
remo 50th anniversary snare shame the throw off has the gripping capability of well i dont want to be banned so i cant say.
very nice snare 1 of 200 so will be worth a bit later on . ;) but gives a lovely crack with the rimshots till the throw undoes, and with the moon gel the short sustain is perfect for me just need to fix tht throw :mad:

not as good.
some yamaha steel snare dosent help the heads are rather bad. but good enough as a side snare for now

my first set was a $600 ludwig cs series. The snare was ok at the time, but now its not good.

by the way the Pearl Dennis Chambers Snare sounds kinda cool does any know anything about it?

Live snares:

Pork Pie BBB
6x14 Keplinger Black Iron
6x14 Phattie with Slingerland hoops

Studio snares:
6x13 Tempus FG
6x13 DW Edge Craviatto
6.5x13 Yamaha Mushashi
5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic COB
4x14 Yamaha Coliauta Sig
10x14 Ludwig Stainless

Not a dud in the house.

I wouldn't get an M or Meridian snare. Try as I might, I can't get them to sound as good as some of the same price range.

I got a birdseye maple black panther 13 x 6. Slapped a genera HD Dry on it and cranked it pretty tight. It sounds so deep, powerful, and just dang awesome. but that's only in my school's room. In my basement its very very very ringy and i dont like it THAT much.

I love all my snares,

SJC custom 10 ply maple 14x7 diecast hoops
SJC custom 10 ply maple/acrylic hybrid 14x8 diecast hoops
SJC custom 6 ply maple 14x6.5 w/ 13ply wood hoops
Tama Warlord Masai 13 ply ( I think) bubinga 14x6

I am also a fan of the pearl free floaters and the old supraphonics.

Got a soft spot for the old radio king snares too

Not a fan of:
Chad smith sig. snare. Never could get into that one, sold it after three weeks.

My snares - ;

Ludwig 6 1/2 * 14 Supraphonic
Ludwig 5 * 14 vintage Acrolite
Tama 5 1/2 * 14 Starclassic Birch / Bubinga
Tama 6 1/2 * 14 vintage superstar mahogany
Pearl 6 1/2 * 14 Brass free floater
Yamaha 5 * 14 vintage steel

I love all of these snares for different reasons. They all have different sounds and suit different types of music. I love it when I haven't played one of them for a while and when you play it , it's like getting to know an old friend again.

I would love to one day get a Brady Jarrah stave snare. They look and sound amazing.
Something to dream about. mmmmmmmm!

Im curious ,
Noone is sayin black panther? Is it because they are bad or just average
Because i was gonna get one so when i looked at this thread hoping they would be all over here, i was suprised !

its not that its a bad snare its just noone who has 1 has replyed

I love my 14x5 Ludwig black beauty w/ tube lugs and gold hardware
I really love my 14x6.5 Pearl Eric Singer Signature snare, it's a 1/2" of plied maple, my main ax
I want a DW edge snare
I want a Craviotto 1 ply snare
I want a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty,

I got a birdseye maple black panther 13 x 6. Slapped a genera HD Dry on it and cranked it pretty tight. It sounds so deep, powerful, and just dang awesome. but that's only in my school's room. In my basement its very very very ringy and i dont like it THAT much.

huh....i guess some people havnt been reading all the posts. its a very very VERY good snare in a room with decent acoustics. my basement just has just horrendous acoustics, that's why it sounds below average in my house, but Incredible in my school.

I would love to one day get a Brady Jarrah stave snare. They look and sound amazing.

These are lovely. I recorded with what I think was an Ash 14x5.5 and it recorded really nicely. No moongel or anything like that, it was perfect, with a really nice feel. Reminded me of a Craviotto.

ludwig supraphonic= tha best. 1960 vintage slingerland is good too

No way!

Man, I swear I have not heard a single one of these that can sound anything but the bad type of "boxy". The 3-ply kits sound incredible, however!

The 6-ply snares sound alright...

Haha ok. I haven't heard a 3-ply round badge in person. I just love the idea of owning one. Did Tony Williams use a 3-ply or 6-ply? because his snare sounded awesome (I'm talking Miles Second Great Quintet era).

Haha ok. I haven't heard a 3-ply round badge in person. I just love the idea of owning one. Did Tony Williams use a 3-ply or 6-ply? because his snare sounded awesome (I'm talking Miles Second Great Quintet era).

3-plied Gretsch round badges are notorious for sounding awful. I thought they would sound great, too, having heard some toms and bass drums. Boy was I ever wrong! Man oh man!!! I've played about 15 of them now. Each time I get hopeful and think, "THIS one will be different!"...but it never is.

I think you could bend a piece of corrugated cardboard into a circular shape and make a better sounding shell...

Back