James Gadson

He’s one of my faves.

Note the tape on the reso heads.

85A0269C-F9A9-4784-BF25-D3F10EE9AEE6.jpeg

It’s too bad he can’t groove hard enough to work in the studio. Otherwise he’d be on a lot of records

He plays great on several relatively recent Beck tracks.
The shame is ageism is alive and well in the music industry.
I know record producers who were very successful in the 80's who still have all their skill and talent, but haven't been asked to produce a record for years. It's all about flavour of the month.

I know record producers who were very successful in the 80's who still have all their skill and talent, but haven't been asked to produce a record for years. It's all about flavour of the month.
I love that sound they get for him. Dirty.

Here’s another one

Love the hand cut out reso hole on those drums.

Sure ageism is alive and well everywhere, but one has to examine the other side of the coin in this instance.
If every job of any kind, had people working into their 80's, there wouldn't be any room for any youth to fill and be employed.
1980s are 30 or 40+ years ago. In the 1960's How many producers were working on Beatles, The Who or Stones records and had produced stuff from the 1920's?

Last edited:
The other coin....
You don't end someone's career because of a certain age. It's against the law in many places. You can't lose your job as a doctor, or a chef just because you turned 60. Change happens because people who are better come along, or they are prepared to work harder than the older person.
Producers from the 1920's weren't working on The Beatles or The Who because everything had changed, the technology, the music industry, the music. In reality a lot of contemporary music now could have been made in the 1980's. Similar techniques, even similar songs.
If young artists want to knock the 1980's people off the pedestal, then be better than them and invent something those artists and producers can't do. You don't just knock them off based on a arbitrary number.

The other coin....
You don't end someone's career because of a certain age. It's against the law in many places. You can't lose your job as a doctor, or a chef just because you turned 60. Change happens because people who are better come along, or they are prepared to work harder than the older person.
Producers from the 1920's weren't working on The Beatles or The Who because everything had changed, the technology, the music industry, the music. In reality a lot of contemporary music now could have been made in the 1980's. Similar techniques, even similar songs.
If young artists want to knock the 1980's people off the pedestal, then be better than them and invent something those artists and producers can't do. You don't just knock them off based on a arbitrary number.
lol, well I turn 60 soon so am not arguing for youth's sake. To my knowledge, 60 or even 65 is not a mandatory retirement age most countries. In fact many countries have a dearth of new talent in a given vocation.
But I do realize some day it is important and essential that somebody younger than me gets my job. Circle of life. I agree they do have to earn it.
Still, I'd prefer the person doing my next brain surgery or house reno is 40 not 80.

Isn't the music industry a lot of who you know? So somebody knows producer and thats why they got the call. Age had nothing to do with it?

Isn't the music industry a lot of who you know? So somebody knows producer and thats why they got the call. Age had nothing to do with it?
The kind of people I'm talking about are globally known. Why I mentioned ageism is because I think the younger artists and company executives assume older producers can't still make popular records.
An example would be Nile Rogers, who seemed to disappear off the scene for 10-15 years, until Daft Punk invited him to collaborate with them on their last album - which was one of their biggest hits, now Nile is 'hot' again.

I love that sound they get for him. Dirty.

Here’s another one
Doyle Bramhall II is one of the most talented cool cats on the planet... from his Stevie Ray association to the Arcangels to his solo stuff.. amazing talent! Thanks for posting!

Back