Cymbal store: Should I stay or should I go?

Auspicious

Silver Member
So I am sitting in my chair right now and weighting the Pros and Cons of driving to a cymbal store to listen to some of them.. And so far the cons part of the list is much heavier. I already have a ride and a crash, still need to be behind the pad.

Yet the madness of owning a new Turkish sound is very strong, adding a new delicious sound to my low volume kind of playing I try to create.

--> How do you test cymbals at the store do you ask to install them behind a kit or you test the cymbals only?

I’ve asked and done both when in the store.
As to the other question of wether to go and listen and or purchase ?

I say run , don’t walk , and go get your sound if it’s what you want and can afford.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my time on the planet ? ..... LIFE IS TOO SHORT !

So go get a cymbal , it’ll cure what ails ya lol !

Hearing cymbals in person, preferably in conjunction with a kit, is by far the best way to audition them. Online demos are valuable but can be misleading. Polished recordings sometimes make cymbals sound significantly better than they do in their natural state.

Go if you want to, but don't be a kid in a candy store. If you find a cymbal you love, buy it. Just refrain from treating the experience as a once-in-lifetime pilgrimage that induces you to snatch up as much as you can. Chances are high that you'll regret that outcome.

--> I see it as a pilgrimage it's true, this is wrong, thanks for pointing that out for me.

I try not to think about the life span and telling me that the impression of how short or long life is, is only a state of mind...

Nevertheless, I also fight against the idea that life is too short.

Do it. If you are afraid you will spend a ton of money, only bring what you are comfortable spending. If you dont want to spend any money, go anyways. It's a good way to make a list of cymbals you are interested in and ones you arent. It will help you narrow things down for later.

@Al Strange It's truly a beautiful piece, exactly the kind of thing I want to investigate today, a Istanbul crash :)

@MrInsanePolack Usually I have a good discipline with spending money. I have a maximum budget of about 400CAD with taxes for a crash of about 18 or 19 inches, usually they are a bit less expensive then that probably.

It's not 100% sure I will spend any money today, the cymbal needs to be a perfect blend.

It's a good thing to have a budget, thanks for pointing that out and I will make a list of the models I like, good idea.

iHGJSc8.png

...so yeah, I say do it!!!

Even if you aren't planning on buying something. Watching demos online can only take you so far. The goal should be to find the cymbals you like and dislike IN PERSON.

I've had many occasions where I was shopping for 1 particular cymbal and discovered I really liked a totally different cymbal when I was at the store. You don't know until you try, right?

Last edited:
My last visit purchase, the owner brought my requests outside for covid and i played them. I also brought some select cymbals of my own to hear as a group. I didn't have a kit but that is ok, I was able to hear grouping within my own selection and this was a great experience. Of course I brought my own stick bag and such.

I mostly make purchases based on a musical context that help or something I don't already have....lesser so it's due to a great deal or something that will inspire me. I've made changes on many setups due to a particular project, I find this more satisfying to serve the music and justifies the purchase better.

iHGJSc8.png

...so yeah, I say do it!

Even if you aren't planning on buying something. Watching demos online can only take you so far. The goal should be to find the cymbals you like and dislike IN PERSON.

I've had many occasions where I was shopping for 1 particular cymbal and discovered I really liked a totally different cymbal when I was at the store. You don't know until you try, right?
I fear that with their big 22, 23 and 24" rides.

I think all drummers get a sound in their head they are looking for in cymbals. Sometimes it’s your personal preference or you get in a band and that dictates a new cymbal. But you have to seek to find it. I’m happy with what I have but always looking for different too. I’m not big on crashes but rides thst do everything and different hats in size and make I look. There is a Heartbeat ride I want to try in person and the Paiste Dark energy hats I’m curious about. I’ve loaned out a lot and some sit in cases so I’m slow to pull out my wallet.

How do you test cymbals at the store do you ask to install them behind a kit or you test the cymbals only?
I’ve never been able to tell how a cymbal will sound with my kit. It’s like I’m blind & deaf until I hit it while it’s hanging on my kit. Very frustrating. I’ve returned a dozen or so cymbals because the sound “didn’t fit”.

I think the closest to hearing cymbals accurately is in a place like the cymbal room at Memphis Drum Shop. It’s large and any sympathetic vibrations from the other cymbals won’t (can’t) be heard.

Memphis-Drum-Shop-About-Us.jpg

I've got a poster I'm looking at (right now) with Matt Chamberlain playing Agop traditional..his statement is that they are the most musical cymbals made today. I've listened to a few on YouTube and am mightily impressed.
It was @Chris Whitten on this very forum who suggested I check ‘em out...very happy with it, goes beautifully with my vintage 18” Sabian HH thin crash! (y):)

I COULDNT go in there..i know myself...id have to explain why the credit card bill was 2400 dollars. Some people have a gambling problem..ive got a cymbal problem. Is there a 1 800 cymbals off number for this addiction?
The phone # on this web page will:

--> How do you test cymbals at the store do you ask to install them behind a kit or you test the cymbals only?

Pre-internet I would take my cymbals into a shop where I had a working relationship with the staff or owner and see how the cymbals I was interested in blended or contrasted with my set up.

Thanks to the internet I rarely do that these days as I pretty much have a good idea what I'm after sonically as well as the weight range. When I do audition cymbals after playing them I'll narrow down the ones I'm interested in and then have a staff member put the cymbal through its paces while I walk the room to hear what each one sounds like from a distance.

I'm also fortunate enough to have a great relationship with one vendor who speaks my language when it comes to cymbals. When I explain what I'm after, and how I'm going to use it, he quickly narrows the options, models and sizes with a laser focus. Then it's a matter of patiently locating the optimal weight that speaks to me.

Back