Starclassic or Neusonic?

___

Can't play well with others
I currently own a Renown, a Design, and a Pearl DMP. I love Ludwig, but the Starclassics are phenomenal. Question: is the Tama worth another $300-$400 over the Neusonic (Ludwig changed the spurs on the new releases)? I enjoy playing rock and psychedelic jazz. Every genre sounds good with the Renown, but who among us is satisfied with only 3 kits? ?

Caveats: I don’t gig (I could) and I’m not a pro. I just enjoy playing and I’m not married, so I buy what I want, not necessarily need. DW has great build quality, but they don’t speak to me sonically. I love the heritage brands and I don’t think DW has their style or panache despite their pro roster. As such, the DW gets returned (just bought it). It was an experiment buying it.

Also in queue is the AQ2 Safari. The Midtown, Breakbeats, Club Jam, and SC aren’t in its league.

why would you get another mid level kit, it's pointless. Get a great kit, try quality over quantity. Also have you thought of improving your playing instead of buying more kits? Buying stuff is fun but it won't be as rewarding as playing good effortlessly and knowing your stuff. I've discovered that I can almost play anything I want with 1 kit, and wherever I need a different kit, it's not because of the wood, color, shell construction or hardware, it's because of the size.

Nobody's going to stop you from buying a new kit, but ask yourself if you really should just because you can.

All true, of course. I’ve decided to stick with the ones I brought to the dance (sans the DW). I’ve been playing for 30 years, so describing myself as an amateur only means I don’t get paid for it. It’s just for love of the instrument.

My “pro” kit is my Renown because the cost benefit is there and there was no point in getting anything above that in build quality. The sticking point for me was the BD size. I’m 22 and 24, hence the Safari or Starclassic/Neusonic in 20. I may take the leap and jam live once we’re beyond the coof madness.

Tama. Like Porsche, there is no substitute.
Plus, the Starclassic line is superior to that Neusonic in all ways.

All true, of course. I’ve decided to stick with the ones I brought to the dance (sans the DW). I’ve been playing for 30 years, so describing myself as an amateur only means I don’t get paid for it. It’s just for love of the instrument.
with that experience you probably already know what sizes you want. But as I said, what's the point in having many mid level kits when you can have a high end kit? I would understand a mid level kit when going for a different size you've never tried and might not like..

QC is what matters and Tama does an excellent job of that in all their factories.

Being a long time automotive and equipment technician, I have an aversion to things made in the US as they tend to lack QC.
Almost everything I've repaired that has recall issues or build flaws was made in the US.
I started as Ford factory trained tech and fixed things like the front bumpers falling off the F-150 because they used a speed clip to hold it on and used the wrong size, the steering lines cross threaded into the worm gear, the leaking gaskets all over the 4.0. When I went to Toyota it got marginally better and I say marginally because the Toyotas built in the US had a lot of NVH complaints and poor QC versus their Japanese manufactured versions.

QC is what matters and Tama does an excellent job of that in all their factories.

Being a long time automotive and equipment technician, I have an aversion to things made in the US as they tend to lack QC.
Almost everything I've repaired that has recall issues or build flaws was made in the US.
I started as Ford factory trained tech and fixed things like the front bumpers falling off the F-150 because they used a speed clip to hold it on and used the wrong size, the steering lines cross threaded into the worm gear, the leaking gaskets all over the 4.0. When I went to Toyota it got marginally better and I say marginally because the Toyotas built in the US had a lot of NVH complaints and poor QC versus their Japanese manufactured versions.
the instrument industry is different i think. US made is a stamp of quality that is almost unmatched at least mass production speaking. there are obviously going to be hand made things in china by an artisan with superior quality but how often do you see those in stores... a US made instrument is more expensive than a chinese made instrument for a reason. it’s been like this for the past 60 years. This doesn’t mean that tama has bad quality, but you do get the guarantee that you’re going to get good stuff if it’s US made.

the instrument industry is different i think. US made is a stamp of quality that is almost unmatched at least mass production speaking. there are obviously going to be hand made things in china by an artisan with superior quality but how often do you see those in stores... a US made instrument is more expensive than a chinese made instrument for a reason. it’s been like this for the past 60 years. This doesn’t mean that tama has bad quality, but you do get the guarantee that you’re going to get good stuff if it’s US made.
I'll have to agree to disagree for the time being. I would need a lot of convincing that that is indeed the case when it comes to instrument manufacturing.
One of the biggest drivers of the cost differentiation is the lack of labour laws and controls in the people's republic. Slave labour is cheap, just ask Apple.

If the Starclassics are considered midrange, then the Pearl Masters are what? Entry level drums???

*Facepalm*
Yeah, a Starclassic is hardly midrange. I wouldn’t describe my Renown as midrange, either. I couldn’t justify anything above $1600 USD and thus bought “midrange.” My Pearl DMP would fit that description, but the 24” kick is too much fun.

My Superstar Classic is midrange and with Evans EC2s they sing. I love Tama. They take QC seriously and I’d buy most kits made in Taiwan since their manufacturing rivals Japan’s these days.

I love gear and the idea that your skills from one kit doesn’t transfer to another is...bizarre. Configurations matter. No one is rocking psychedelic jazz in a 9 pc, double bass beast.

Sounds like you have pretty strong opinions already. What kind of input are you looking for?

The only thing above them in the lineup are the Star drum sets:

I'm not sure Starclassic and Neusonic are to be compared if someone's going strictly by price.

They aren’t. The Starclassic has superb build quality, but with a modern sound. The Neusonic has that old Ludwig sound I love (there’s old Ludwig and new Ludwig, IMO). Torn between both if I grab one in the near future... Ludwig seems to have a more open sound while Tama seems to have more attack as they are oriented more towards rock/metal (Erskine notwithstanding).

Ludwig did just release a newer version of the Neusonic with elite spurs. Just so everyone knows...

Another little tidbit since I’m digressing: Tama is actually the name of the wife of the founder. Found that out just the other day. Gakki means “star” in Japanese, hence everything is named as such. Only drummers probably care, but thought I’d share. Oh, and it’s Ta-Mah, not Tah-mah or Teh-mah.

Tama is not more geared towards rock or pop or metal than Gretsch or Sonor or Ludwig or Yamaha. Quite a lot of well known jazzers play Tama.

The Starclassics are expensive top-end drumsets with amazing quality. The Tama Star are what you call boutique drums. Exceptional on every way - at an eye- watering price.

As the TO does not need a new drumset but loves to have another drumset, he should just buy, what his heart tells him. He does not have to justify buying yet another drumset. Do collectors have to justify their spending of money on some gear? Nah.

And American made stuff is nowadays MOSTLY not the best of the best.

I'll have to agree to disagree for the time being. I would need a lot of convincing that that is indeed the case when it comes to instrument manufacturing.
One of the biggest drivers of the cost differentiation is the lack of labour laws and controls in the people's republic. Slave labour is cheap, just ask Apple.
it sure is cheap and i don’t agree with apple for their shady business model even though their products are very good.. coming to drums, sure there are many factories in taiwan where manufacturing is of high quality, take for example Yamaha factory and Tama, they make some of the best drums out there. But US made is always going to be more expensive and have a better reputation. You probably get more defective bearing edges from chinese manufacturers than US made kits.

Tama is not more geared towards rock or pop or metal than Gretsch or Sonor or Ludwig or Yamaha. Quite a lot of well known jazzers play Tama.

The Starclassics are expensive top-end drumsets with amazing quality. The Tama Star are what you call boutique drums. Exceptional on every way - at an eye- watering price.

As the TO does not need a new drumset but loves to have another drumset, he should just buy, what his heart tells him. He does not have to justify buying yet another drumset. Do collectors have to justify their spending of money on some gear? Nah.

Agreed, but it does seem Tama is more geared towards rock/metal. They have a superb lineup (like Pearl), but I do notice more heavy hitters playing Tama. Pearl has its share as well. Just an observation...

we are talking about the W/B kit. OP mentioned it. Now if we’re talking starclassic maple or walnut then that’s another story. they are higher end drums and no longer in the mid range. But we’re not talking about them. and yes, pearl masters are mid range drums, no way to sugar coat it.

Back