DW Design Series...Good Deal?

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I not a DW Guy and I've never owned any, although I've owned some PDP drums and was happy with those. There is a Design Series kit for sale here locally in the 5 piece configuration (10/12/16/22/14SD) in the cherry stain gloss finish. They also come with a PDP Concept Maple 8" tom that he stained to match, just has different lugs. He said they have been moved from one house to another once and have never been taken out of his home otherwise and they are in immaculate condition. All maple. These go for $1,600 new. Guy wants $850. This seems like a pretty good deal, considering that is basically 50% off a new kit and these are like new. Any thoughts on the Design series? I've read mixed reviews........................

Thanks,

V

I really like them. The smaller lug is killer. Very similar to the Yamaha Tour Custom Maple, in my book. Checks all the boxes I want in a maple shelled kit .... and it don't break the bank.

Having played the Design Series drums at Guitar Center I can tell you the build quality is impressive and they sound great. The factories in Taiwan are knocking it out of the park. I can't imagine why they'd get mixed reviews. I've been very critical of DW's high prices on their Performance and Collector's series, but for the Design Series I think the price is very competitive.

In fact, I think they may sound slightly better than Collector's Series because they don't have reinforcement rings. This gives them a lower fundamental pitch than the Collector's, which sounds better to my ears.

I would jump on that deal!

I considered the Design Series myself, but ended up going with Performance Series. I was buying new, and decided to concentrate more on what I really wanted, and what I'd be happy with 5 years down the road, more than what was a great deal. But if I was shopping used, I probably would have jumped all over this deal. I did buy my DW rack used for $200!

That's a good deal. I'd buy them and rewrap them in something sparkly.

Greetings,

I not a DW Guy and I've never owned any, although I've owned some PDP drums and was happy with those. There is a Design Series kit for sale here locally in the 5 piece configuration (10/12/16/22/14SD) in the cherry stain gloss finish. They also come with a PDP Concept Maple 8" tom that he stained to match, just has different lugs. He said they have been moved from one house to another once and have never been taken out of his home otherwise and they are in immaculate condition. All maple. These go for $1,600 new. Guy wants $850. This seems like a pretty good deal, considering that is basically 50% off a new kit and these are like new. Any thoughts on the Design series? I've read mixed reviews........................

Thanks,

V

That's a solid deal for sure - not my first choice at all for $1,600: but prime purchasing at $850.

Thanks for all the input....................I was going to go look at them today but they already sold. Probably just as well. I'm sure antoher good quality kit in that price range will come up again at some point.

While we're on the subject...........

I know the other kits in that general price range of $1,600 (Gretsch Renown, Mapex Saturn, Pearl Masters, Tama Starclassic etc.) . It seems like many people would choose the others over the Design. Any particular reasons? Is it the lack of size choices/finish choices? Is the Performance Series worth the extra $800 or so? Why or why not?

Thanks. I have plenty of experience with mid level kits but not much experience with upper mid level and higher.

Too bad you’re not a 4-piece player. There are Design series shell packs (3-drums) new for $799. Its a good line.
I am considering pulling the trigger on of these myself. Great sizes- 16x22, 9x13, 16x16. Surprised I don’t see more discussions about this particular shell pack, but seems to be a great bang for the buck. My local GC has 2 of these in stock, in the satin black finish, dropped to $699.

I am considering pulling the trigger on of these myself. Great sizes- 16x22, 9x13, 16x16. Surprised I don’t see more discussions about this particular shell pack, but seems to be a great bang for the buck. My local GC has 2 of these in stock, in the satin black finish, dropped to $699.
That’s even better! I’d get those!

Too bad you’re not a 4-piece player. There are Design series shell packs (3-drums) new for $799. Its a good line.
BTW, GC near me has the red and black Design 3 piece packs on sale for $699 as well. Seems like an in store deal. The same GC had a 3 piece performance series in satin natural finish for $999. I think it may have been a floor demo. Walking into GC can yield some good deals if you happen to be in the market for whatever their in store sales are that given day. I once saw a 3 piece Collectors series in store for $1,600...floor demo in tiger oyster wrap, I don't like that color, but nonetheless it was a great deal for a demo kit.

I sold this exact kit in brilliant white finish, same sizes, just over a year ago for (I think) about £900 ($1,164). Sounds like a pretty sick deal to me. Also it's a great kit, assuming nothing wrong with it then I am sure you'll have no regrets what so ever.

Can anyone answer if the lugs that the STM mount attaches around are different than the rest of the lugs? Can you remove the STM and still use the lugs it was attached to or are replacement lugs needed? If I bought the Design 3 piece, I would like to remove the mount and put the tom in a snare stand.

Can anyone answer if the lugs that the STM mount attaches around are different than the rest of the lugs? Can you remove the STM and still use the lugs it was attached to or are replacement lugs needed? If I bought the Design 3 piece, I would like to remove the mount and put the tom in a snare stand.
The lugs are exactly the same. The mount can be removed, you just need to take out the tension rods and it slides off.

Greetings,

Thanks,

V

I have owned a Design kit for 6 years now... and everytime i look at other kits i just can't justify it, i tune it low and it sounds great and has never given me a single problem. (after i switched to aquarian heads at least...remo was great if you want to practice tuning daily)

I played the preformance kit before the design kit and honestly..i liked the design more and it was like $600 less at the time.

P.S. i got mine for $1250 new.. (made a phone called to musicians friend and they knocked like 200 off) but even at $850 that's a bargain if it's in good shape.. i haven't found anything under 2k i would rather own honestly.

I have owned a Design kit for 6 years now... and everytime i look at other kits i just can't justify it, i tune it low and it sounds great and has never given me a single problem. (after i switched to aquarian heads at least...remo was great if you want to practice tuning daily)

I played the preformance kit before the design kit and honestly..i liked the design more and it was like $600 less at the time.

P.S. i got mine for $1250 new.. (made a phone called to musicians friend and they knocked like 200 off) but even at $850 that's a bargain if it's in good shape.. i haven't found anything under 2k i would rather own honestly.
I think the Design series is DW's equivalent to Gretch's Renown series in the sense that they're really well made, sound great, made overseas for a lot less money.

I think the Design series is DW's equivalent to Gretch's Renown series in the sense that they're really well made, sound great, made overseas for a lot less money.
Yeah, i was looking at the Sonor AQ1 (or 2?) and they are around 1k but chinese maple.. the DW's are North american maple.. not that it matters.. As far as where they are built.. i personally don't care.. :)

Back