GC Wouldn't Let Me In

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running low on sticks. I was in that part of the world. It was 3PM on a Wednesday, no one was there. They stopped me at the door. They told me since I wasn't wearing a mask I couldn't go in. They also told me the store was closed to browsing. They didnt get my money. I'm still running low on sticks.

Why bother even being open?

Hiya bud.

They way my local music shop works currently is like this:

There can't be anymore that 30 customers in the store at any given time.

When you walk through the door, you sanitise your hands (they have wall mounted dispensers), then you wait until a staff member assists you.........which is no more that a minutes wait......then you are good to go. I can browse, chat etc etc.

They all left when GC showed up. I literally have no other option than GC or pawn shops. Pawn shops dont carry sticks.

I dont leave the house unless necessary. A t-shirt wrapped around my face helps nothing. Neither does having a full beard. I'm extremely cautious if I do have to go out.

Brian.........it's people like you that have possibly saved a lot of lives.

You wear a mask to protect me. I wear a mask to protect you.

What's so hard to understand? Is "cooperation" a dirty word? Sheesh. It's like trying to talk to a bassist. ;)

Last edited:
Correct and if actions were based on facts instead of fear, there may have been some cohesiveness to rules and regs. Doctors themselves have said this is no more than a flu in medical reports, then turned around and said it was 10x worse on the same day, facing the cameras.

Since when has anything in life been safe? Living, going out of your home, working around equipment, walking under buildings and over sidewalks all have risks and people have died. When has GC ever been a safe haven? It's a risk just walking through that door. Guitar amps may blow out your ears and that crazy rocker may put a stick through your eye. If we were so concerned about being safe, we would instantly lower traffic speeds to 35 max. No, we keep raising them.

In some places, we also gather the elderly together and put them in care facilities, so we can be rid of the costly populace while blaming everyone else for their stupidity. There literally no logic to any of it. The only obvious thing is give little people a little bit of power and you get tyrannical rules. All we ever needed to know was what it is, how do we best protect ourselves and make our own decisions.

The only time anyone is safe, is when they are dead and even then you risk being exhumed for who knows what. there are also bugs down there...I hate them bugs!

For those wishing GC good riddance, your wish is likely going to come true. Their investment ratings have been lowered yet again and we thought they were done in 2018. I have limited use for the place, but since they put near every other store around here out of business, I won't even be able to get a pair of sticks or heads without a super long drive. I've tried online with terrible results. Selfish, I know...I was able to solve the head replacement challenges after being banished to low volume drumming, but those damn L80s chew the crap out of sticks fast!

This is a super slippery argument.

The whole "when has anything been safe" thing especially. I'm not sure your life situation - but for me - I have a wife, two daughters and I help take care of my mother, aunt and grandmothers. So if I get sick - I'm not worried about me personally - but I am worried about getting someone like my daughter or my grandmother sick - and them passing away because I had that cavalier attitude.

This is why I advocate masks - if you feel like you the world is unsafe anyways and don't care if you're sick - that's fine. However - if you have that attitude and get sick and are coughing around me without a mask - your decisions are affecting my health and that's not ok.

I'm the last person to advocate for more control from the government - but I'm really saddened that this health issue has turned so political.

It's a health crisis - and maybe I'm jaded because I've had to watch a family lose a father - and now I'm watching my guitarist's wife fight COVID in a hospital and we're pretty certain he's going to get sick too....but I think it's individual responsibility to do whatever we can and every health professional I know - which is quite few - have two things they suggest: 1. Wash your hands and 2. Wear a mask.

Hope you all stay safe and well.

Folks, the barriers we're up against when attaining equipment, as well as when carrying out a litany of daily tasks, have been exhausted through countless discussions thus far. The best we can do is make sensible decisions in relation to the data we possess. Let's all keep in mind that our actions don't exist in isolation. Our every move at the moment affects our families, our friends, our neighbors, and societies around the globe. Taking care of ourselves should be geared toward taking care of others too. I'm willing to tolerate personal inconveniences if my doing so will preserve lives. Waiting a bit longer to get sticks, heads, and so forth online is of no consequence to me. I'd rather go about it in that fashion than place myself and others at needless risk.

You wear a mask to protect me. I wear a mask to protect you.

What's so hard to understand? Is "cooperation" a dirty word? Sheesh. It's like trying to talk to a bassist. I ;)

Exactly.

The problem with this virus is that you spread it when you feel perfectly healthy. The mask is to protect the people around you, not yourself. If you sneeze or cough the mask will reduce the force and distance of your contaminated air.

In China not wearing a mask is considered socially irresponsible. In the United States a mask is perceived as a sign of weakness. Somehow we need to change that perception here.

As an American male I tend to feel stupid and weak wearing a mask but I still wear one out of kindness towards others.

They have been doing it wrong in the hospitals all along. They should have been slapping those things onto patients for years, instead of wearing them themselves. Who knew?

Actually, no. The difference between the two situations you raise are obvious. Unfortunate that you don't see that.

I can understand the mask requirement, but.......................not open for browsing?

I guess I can understand why they don't want people to wander aimlessly in the store for hours, but not being able to check out the stick or head selection? I agree with Insane Polack, why even be open at that point?
Browsing includes touching items and during these times it's not a good idea. You might not get sick, but CAN become a carrier and spread it to those of us who are ancient of age, or have existing health issues. Order your sticks online AND wear a mask to prevent spread ov Covid-19 whether you're exhibiting symptoms or not. This is NOT a joke or hoax to gain control of the public. My daughter is an RN and works with coronavirus patients. Some have died. It is not a good way to go. Very painful and like drowning. Ventilators are not fun.

There's a lot of problem with how people are handling this.

My day job and part of why I'm so adamant about masks is that I work for a manufacturer of ambient air quality instrumentation - part of what we do is laser and optical measurements of PM - so I can get really far down that rabbit hole of how particles move in air.

Where you correct is that COVID or most Bio-aerosols range in size from 1.0 to 5.0 μm - which technically won't be stopped by an N95 mask if a steady stream of it is blast at a high velocity - the surface area of mask will typically stop a high percentage of single particles that can remain in the air after someone coughs, etc.

But the biggest reasons to wear masks is buried in the last part of that previous sentence and it's not framed in this way because it's not super positive sounding : if you have COVID and don't know it - a mask will stop you from aerosolizing something like 98% of the particles coming from your mouth for the people around you.

The government just hasn't stated it that way because "Wear a mask so you don't transmit the virus if you have it" sounds worse than "Wear a mask to protect yourself".

You are correct that you can get it through the eyes and nasal passages actually.

And gloves....people could use those well if they wanted to - we have a big package and use them as needed - getting gas then immediately throwing them away etc. but wearing them for extended periods of time and touching multiple surfaces etc. is a total waste - just like those silly plastic covering on PIN pads, etc....it's still a gross surface that multiple touch haha.

I've always been a germaphobe though - I travel with a UV C sanitizing system for hotels and stuff haha.

It's a by product of working in industrial water technology and now air technology.

My wife also works in the public - she works in the legal system - so I'm super concerned about her as well.

Bottom line for me is that I'm glad GC is open enough for emergencies and if you have to play by their rules to get some sticks and you need 'em - better than not having it at all.

My preference is always local guys though - I'd just as soon see GC completely shut down anyways - I've always hated that place.

Hope your family stays well man - everyone is at the grocery store.

Amen to all of the above and thanks for your eloquence. My daughter is an RN, she's 5 months pregnant AND asthmatic. She is on the front line 4 days a week treating people with Covid. So far she's okay, but she tells me every day just how serious this virus is. The entitlement we as Americans seem to feel needs to be put on a shelf until such time as there's a vaccine and only then can we "breathe easier". BTW, with freedom that we all enjoy comes responsibility.

Wearing a mask to stop an airbourne virus that has travelled around the world is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos, about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Unprecidented climate of fear that's not going anywhere anytime soon (thankyou government and media). Giving jobsworths too much power. We're all adults, lets draw our own conclusions and take our own risks.

Wonder if banks will insist on folk wearing masks ;)

The Mayo Clinic says with other preventative measures, wearing a mask can help stop the spread. This is a combination of effort. I have no clue where you're getting your information, but there is actual GOOD info available. Just going at life willy-nilly with no care in the world. It's going to lead to more death. Do you not SEE THAT?????

South Korea has approx 51 million citizens. And they have had around 300 deaths. They tested 100,000 to the US's first 2,500. And if you look up SK, EVERYONE is wearing a mask. BTW, SK is about the size of Indiana. They have 51 million people SLAMMED in that country. And they make us look like squabbling children.

Draw our own conclusions and take our own risks. WOW

This is a HEALTH ISSUE. It has been SO politicized. It's so stupid.

EVERYONE SHOULD INSIST on people wearing a mask. Everyone should WANT to wear a damn mask.

100,000 DEAD.

THIS, is TRULY STUPID.

Presently the death toll suggests that the coronavirus is twice as bad as the flu. 80,000 deaths from the flu in 5 months during a bad flu outbreak last year equates to 16,000 deaths per month or 192,000 deaths per year. Thus far there are over 100,000 deaths in the US over the past 3 months. That works out to 33,333 deaths per month or 400,000 deaths per year. If things had been handled properly there would have been a centralized approach to establishing protocols, with those protocols to safeguard people reflecting the specific circumstances for that particular area.

These are important statistics, and ones I take no issue with. What these statistic do not take into account though is the fact that the flu kills a certain number of people when no precautions are taken to prevent it outside of "stay at home if you have one" and "go to the doctor if it's bad". What we're dealing with now, and what the numbers that correlate to it do not take into account, is a death toll larger than the flu despite drastic government measures being taken to reduce those numbers. Do we have any idea just what the death toll would be if we were allowed to carry on with our lives throughout all of this? I'm inclined to believe that the death toll, as well as the death rate, would be far worse (if only because some who would otherwise have access to life-saving treatment would not receive it due to limited resources).

.....THIS, is TRULY STUPID.....

How about this one" "....."Masks are NOT allowed in the buildings for safety sake. They are viewed as a robbery in progress and will be handled that way." ...."

ibtl

We need Congress to give the Fed govt charge over States and have a central unified response instead of each State independent and all over the place. No national testing, no central response- each state is autonomous to make their own decisions nor can Fed force any state to comply. It’s not much of a plan- States receive grants and funding for medical surge but how well each state implements a plan is up to them HHS is suppose to make sure they have one. Then it gets politicized so all the smoke snd mirrors start/ it’s a chip fest .

They have been doing it wrong in the hospitals all along. They should have been slapping those things onto patients for years, instead of wearing them themselves. Who knew?

Azheat.......I do understand your perspective on this.

As a Registered Nurse in Intensive Care, I can tell you the biggest issue with making patients wear masks is compliance.

Patients who are transferred to ICU are not always sedated and on a ventilator.

So those patients who are somewhat alert are usually hypoxic, septic, confused to begin with.

Slapping a mask on them compounds their state of anxiety even further and they just rip them off, or get aggressive with staff.

So it's easier for us to wear the masks and just put these patients in isolated rooms.

We can restrain them both physically and chemically, but there are legal ramifications if we get accused of assault.

It's a very touchy subject.

Ultimately it would be great if all patients could wear masks.......but the reality is far different I'm afraid.

Well you can generically blame all government since Fed and State of both parties create our response and since 2003 Bush, Obama, and now Trump poor performances with these pandemics. Seems the problems are systemic, and it turns out our behavior determines s the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back