GC Wouldn't Let Me In

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm running low on sticks. I was in that part of the world. It was 3PM on a Wednesday, no one was there. They stopped me at the door. They told me since I wasn't wearing a mask I couldn't go in. They also told me the store was closed to browsing. They didnt get my money. I'm still running low on sticks.

Why bother even being open?

NouveauCliche

I'm running low on sticks. I was in that part of the world. It was 3PM on a Wednesday, no one was there. They stopped me at the door. They told me since I wasn't wearing a mask I couldn't go in. They also told me the store was closed to browsing. They didnt get my money. I'm still running low on sticks.

Why bother even being open?

Oh here we go - Pandora's box...but:

Why not just wear a mask?

vyacheslav

I can understand the mask requirement, but.......................not open for browsing?

I guess I can understand why they don't want people to wander aimlessly in the store for hours, but not being able to check out the stick or head selection? I agree with Insane Polack, why even be open at that point?

NouveauCliche

I can understand the mask requirement, but.......................not open for browsing?

I guess I can understand why they don't want people to wander aimlessly in the store for hours, but not being able to check out the stick or head selection? I agree with Insane Polack, why even be open at that point?
My thought is this:

It's nice that they are even open for someone to come in and quickly get what they need without having to have stuff shipped.

How our GC works is that if you have a mask - you can walk in - get what you need and get out - but you can't spend a bunch of time touching everything and aimlessly wandering.

So yes - if you have a mask and know you want you can go in and get it - which is great vs. not being open at all and having to have stuff shipped.

My particular area is still making national news for how bad it is here so my perspective is probably more conservative and jaded - plus I've known two people that have passed away from Corona...one was 26 years old - seemed perfectly healthy and worked at a Home Depot where people were allowed to walk around and browse, etc. Now his fiance' and their kiddos are left alone because a big box store was open for business and people didn't take the precautions they needed.

I don't understand people's hesitance to do everything they can to stop this thing.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh here we go - Pandora's box...but:

Why not just wear a mask?
I didnt have one. They didnt have any available for potential customers. No where else has turned me away (I dont go out normally, it was a necessary trip otherwise and I was literally across the street). Just seemed kind of pointless to be open but not let anyone in.

What if i wanted to dump my stimulus check on new cymbals? Gotta try them out first. For $1200, would they let me browse?

My particular area is still making national news for how bad it is here so my perspective is probably more conservative and jaded - plus I've known two people that have passed away from Corona...one was 26 years old - seemed perfectly healthy and worked at a Home Depot where people were allowed to walk around and browse, etc. Now his fiance' and their kiddos are left alone because a big box store was open for business and people didn't take the precautions they needed.
My wife and kid work in grocery stores. Dont think I'm not concerned or worried. I'm also not stopping my life from continuing because of fear. Are we all supposed to stay locked in our houses for the unforeseen future? If they are open, they should be open. Otherwise, just stay online only.

NouveauCliche

N95 which the public can’t buy at this point blocks down to 3 microns, COVID is 1 micron, so basically dust through a screen door. What most people wear are nowhere near what the N95 is and they wear them wrong. Why? Because you can’t breathe in them. I sure as heck can’t. At least the N95 allows your exhales to exit the mask, so you’re not rebreathing your own exhales.

For me, the mask makes me itch like crazy, so I’m constantly reaching in and scratching and adjusting. Wore one for years in a body shop and struggled with it the whole time. The only one that didn’t cause the above were the cartridge type. Just because you “look” safe doesn’t mean you are.

Germs and viruses can just as easily get in through your eyes, so you’ll need goggles too.

Also, I see people wearing filthy gloves and handling everything, then touching your stuff. I’d much prefer they skipped the gloves and washed their hands.

I get it. As a wise man once said, it’s better to look good than to feel good. Very much true here.

GC is almost out of business anyway. Thanks for the heads up. I need sticks too, but I’ll save the trip.

There's a lot of problem with how people are handling this.

My day job and part of why I'm so adamant about masks is that I work for a manufacturer of ambient air quality instrumentation - part of what we do is laser and optical measurements of PM - so I can get really far down that rabbit hole of how particles move in air.

Where you correct is that COVID or most Bio-aerosols range in size from 1.0 to 5.0 μm - which technically won't be stopped by an N95 mask if a steady stream of it is blast at a high velocity - the surface area of mask will typically stop a high percentage of single particles that can remain in the air after someone coughs, etc.

But the biggest reasons to wear masks is buried in the last part of that previous sentence and it's not framed in this way because it's not super positive sounding : if you have COVID and don't know it - a mask will stop you from aerosolizing something like 98% of the particles coming from your mouth for the people around you.

The government just hasn't stated it that way because "Wear a mask so you don't transmit the virus if you have it" sounds worse than "Wear a mask to protect yourself".

You are correct that you can get it through the eyes and nasal passages actually.

And gloves....people could use those well if they wanted to - we have a big package and use them as needed - getting gas then immediately throwing them away etc. but wearing them for extended periods of time and touching multiple surfaces etc. is a total waste - just like those silly plastic covering on PIN pads, etc....it's still a gross surface that multiple touch haha.

I've always been a germaphobe though - I travel with a UV C sanitizing system for hotels and stuff haha.

It's a by product of working in industrial water technology and now air technology.

I didnt have one. They didnt have any available for potential customers. No where else has turned me away (I dont go out normally, it was a necessary trip otherwise and I was literally across the street). Just seemed kind of pointless to be open but not let anyone in.

What if i wanted to dump my stimulus check on new cymbals? Gotta try them out first. For $1200, would they let me browse?

My wife and kid work in grocery stores. Dont think I'm not concerned or worried. I'm also not stopping my life from continuing because of fear. Are we all supposed to stay locked in our houses for the unforeseen future? If they are open, they should be open. Otherwise, just stay online only.

My wife also works in the public - she works in the legal system - so I'm super concerned about her as well.

Bottom line for me is that I'm glad GC is open enough for emergencies and if you have to play by their rules to get some sticks and you need 'em - better than not having it at all.

My preference is always local guys though - I'd just as soon see GC completely shut down anyways - I've always hated that place.

Hope your family stays well man - everyone is at the grocery store.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Bottom line for me is that I'm glad GC is open enough for emergencies and if you have to play by their rules to get some sticks and you need 'em - better than not having it at all.
I was just taken back because it was non peak hours, no one was there, and they are open. Saturday, sure I get that. But the store was empty. I would have taken 5 minutes of their time. It felt more like they just didnt want to bother even thinking about helping me. I could have told them what I wanted, waited by the register which is right next to the door, paid and left. Easy. No more than 10' into the store.

C.M. Jones

I have no desire to embark upon a sociological exploration of the implications of our current epidemic predicament, but I'll state briefly that your GC encounter is indicative of the current mess we've created through ambiguous policymaking. The guidelines often contradict themselves. Businesses are open but aren't really open. We should venture into public, yet remain mostly at home. Masks aren't mandatory, but we should wear masks. We're in an abyss of amorphous standards, and people are groping in darkness to find their way.

Clarification: I am not, in the preceding passage, attributing fault to a specific statesman or governmental body. I'm just describing what I observe.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Wearing a mask to stop an airbourne virus that has travelled around the world is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos, about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Unprecidented climate of fear that's not going anywhere anytime soon (thankyou government and media). Giving jobsworths too much power. We're all adults, lets draw our own conclusions and take our own risks.

Wonder if banks will insist on folk wearing masks ;)

mikyok

Platinum Member
Drive thru only here. Everyone gets to push the same dirty button, open the same dirty clamshell thingy, and use the same dirty pen. It's much safer that way.
I have spent a whopping £1 in real money since lockdown started in March. Most places are only accepting card payment.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Wearing a mask to stop an airbourne virus that has travelled around the world is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos, about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.
True or not, if the rule is to wear a mask, you wear a mask. Who in the US doesn't keep a mask or two handy at this point?

BruceW

I was just taken back because it was non peak hours, no one was there, and they are open. Saturday, sure I get that. But the store was empty. I would have taken 5 minutes of their time. It felt more like they just didnt want to bother even thinking about helping me. I could have told them what I wanted, waited by the register which is right next to the door, paid and left. Easy. No more than 10' into the store.
The "why" part is easily explained. Big corporate companies attract attention from regulatory bodies. If they are found to be violating whatever the local ordinances are, they can get fined. As for the individuals at that particular location, well... it's likely they are being monitored, too. I work at a big corporate retailer, and we are being monitored by our in-store camera systems. (We also had to measure available space MULTIPLE times, as we the state regulatory agency involved put a lot of pressure on our management regarding this.) It's likely going on at GC, too. So its equally as likely that the employees there are not willing to risk their employment to help you violate the local ordinances. I expect its not that they "don't care".

That having been said, your local independent music store won't have all of those same issues, and are very likely going to be more flexible in taking care of your particular issue.

Or, you can leave a mask in your car, so that you always have one, if you need one for a given circumstance.

Rotarded

Wait! How did you go from this:

As far as my health is concerned, any evidence of the thing is bad. I'm not taking that chance if it's still active or not. I'll operate under the premise it's still active. No different than finding a live grenade in your attic. Does it still work? Is the powder still good? Should I pull the pin? I'm not taking that chance.
To now not wearing a mask??

MntnMan62

The first answer is that in some areas it is against the law to open at all. In addition, opening up during a pandemic is problematic for these non-essential stores. If you let people in from the outside they then need to have protocols in place to wipe everything down that could be touched by those people coming in from the outside. In addition, it puts the employeess at risk for potentially getting the virus from those people. Therefore, not open for browsing makes sense.

mikyok

Platinum Member
True or not, if the rule is to wear a mask, you wear a mask. Who in the US doesn't keep a mask or two handy at this point?
If the store are so worried and have these rules why not supply disposable masks and gloves on the front door.

I trust they're aware that the virus can live on certain surfaces for up to 72 hours as well.

Don't worry I know we usually follow suit across the Atlantic so we'll probably be doing the same soon enough.

BruceW

If the store are so worried and have these rules why not supply disposable masks and gloves on the front door.

I trust they're aware that the virus can live on certain surfaces for up to 72 hours as well.

Don't worry I know we usually follow suit across the Atlantic so we'll probably be doing the same soon enough.
Masks and gloves are not necessarily readily available, certainly not in quantity for browsers. Places that do allow customers to come in are epxecting customers to have their own masks. Most are usually offering hand sanitizer at this point...

As for whether they are "aware that the virus can live on certain surfaces for up to 72 hours"...the people manning these retail establishments don't get to make determinations regarding that information. Big chain retailers have to do what their management says, and their management has to do what their legal teams insist, based on local ordinances.

MntnMan62

It doesn't matter if the people wear masks. That is a minimum requirement. They still have to wipe everything down and employees can still contract the virus if they touch something a customer touched who has the virus. It's really not all that complicated to understand why the protections have been put in place. Clearly many in the US find this subject to be very complicated which is why there are now over 102,550 people dead in the US.

MntnMan62

Correct and if actions were based on facts instead of fear, there may have been some cohesiveness to rules and regs. Doctors themselves have said this is no more than a flu in medical reports, then turned around and said it was 10x worse on the same day, facing the cameras.

Since when has anything in life been safe? Living, going out of your home, working around equipment, walking under buildings and over sidewalks all have risks and people have died. When has GC ever been a safe haven? It's a risk just walking through that door. Guitar amps may blow out your ears and that crazy rocker may put a stick through your eye. If we were so concerned about being safe, we would instantly lower traffic speeds to 35 max. No, we keep raising them.

In some places, we also gather the elderly together and put them in care facilities, so we can be rid of the costly populace while blaming everyone else for their stupidity. There literally no logic to any of it. The only obvious thing is give little people a little bit of power and you get tyrannical rules. All we ever needed to know was what it is, how do we best protect ourselves and make our own decisions.

The only time anyone is safe, is when they are dead and even then you risk being exhumed for who knows what. there are also bugs down there...I hate them bugs!

For those wishing GC good riddance, your wish is likely going to come true. Their investment ratings have been lowered yet again and we thought they were done in 2018. I have limited use for the place, but since they put near every other store around here out of business, I won't even be able to get a pair of sticks or heads without a super long drive. I've tried online with terrible results. Selfish, I know...I was able to solve the head replacement challenges after being banished to low volume drumming, but those damn L80s chew the crap out of sticks fast!
You're right that there has been a shortage of facts coming from leadership. But the facts are out there for everyone. You just have to dig a bit to find them. Those doctors who say the coronavirus is just like the flu are just as wrong as those doctors who say it's 10 times worse. Presently the death toll suggests that the coronavirus is twice as bad as the flu. 80,000 deaths from the flu in 5 months during a bad flu outbreak last year equates to 16,000 deaths per month or 192,000 deaths per year. Thus far there are over 100,000 deaths in the US over the past 3 months. That works out to 33,333 deaths per month or 400,000 deaths per year. If things had been handled properly there would have been a centralized approach to establishing protocols, with those protocols to safeguard people reflecting the specific circumstances for that particular area. So rural areas should be approached differently than densely populated cities. The problem is that each state was told to fend for themselves and some of the people responsible for making decisions had no idea what they were doing. Add to that, there should have been massive testing from the very beginning nationwide and it still isn't happening. Therefore, we are still seeing about 1,000 people per day dying from the virus. To compare walking around equipment, under buildings and over sidewalks to the coronavirus is ridiculous. Ultimately, the reason this country is in the situation it is in is purely because of stupidity. We probably differ in our opinions on where that stupidity is exhibited.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That having been said, your local independent music store won't have all of those same issues, and are very likely going to be more flexible in taking care of your particular issue.
They all left when GC showed up. I literally have no other option than GC or pawn shops. Pawn shops dont carry sticks.

Wait! How did you go from this:
To now not wearing a mask??
I dont leave the house unless necessary. A t-shirt wrapped around my face helps nothing. Neither does having a full beard. I'm extremely cautious if I do have to go out.

EDIT: I now have a mask in the car if needed. My wife had to see her Dr. today and got me a medical grade one. Not N95, but better than t-shirt material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.