Acoustically Speaking

RayI

I have my YSC kit in a spare bedroom backed up to the wall facing the door , while practicing tonight I thought how it would sound if I turned it around to face the wall anybody try this to hear how it would sound.
Ok maybe I'm thinking too much during this quarantined period

It's still quite close to a wall either way, presumably in a fairly small room. Your bass drum might register the most significant impact, as the sound emitted from the resonant head will bounce directly off the wall it faces. I support your final statement: You're thinking too much during the quarantine. Most of us are.

I have my YSC kit in a spare bedroom backed up to the wall facing the door , while practicing tonight I thought how it would sound if I turned it around to face the wall anybody try this to hear how it would sound.
Ok maybe I'm thinking too much during this quarantined period

I find that the if I have a bass drum facing a wall - I lose a lot of low end and end up with a very mid rangey punch that isn't my favorite sound - I do it in my drum space because I have an aesthetic light thing happening on the wall vs. the room it sets in...but if I was recording in that room I would face it away from the wall. I still might haha.

I currently face the wall. There is no discernable difference really. I dont have much room so it's easier, and once ear plugs/buds are in it matters not.

My wife makes me stand in the corner a lot since the isolation junk started. Uh oh.....here she comes now yelling "GET INTO TIME OUT RIGHT NOW!"

I used to face my bass drum against the wall. It was easier to sit down at the drums when I walked into the room. For some reason I can’t remember, I turned them around one day and all the drums had more low end. Especially the bass drum. It’s probably the same reason that drums behind a shield seem to have more highs. All the high end is reflected off the wall. With them turned around, the high end isn’t so in your face.

I used to face my bass drum against the wall. It was easier to sit down at the drums when I walked into the room. For some reason I can’t remember, I turned them around one day and all the drums had more low end. Especially the bass drum. It’s probably the same reason that drums behind a shield seem to have more highs. All the high end is reflected off the wall. With them turned around, the high end isn’t so in your face.
I was going to experiment and try facing the wall , but decided to let the the big dog (bass drum ) lay where he may and leave it alone

Back