Traditional Grip v Matched Grip

That first reply was great. But here is my opinion.

Learn one grip, and learn it well. they are both valid.

Decide on what type of music you want to play first. It's going to be tough to blast beat over deathmetal riffs at break neck speeds with volume if you use trad. If you are playing jazz, trad looks cooler to me, but I see many use both styles well.

I am much better with matched, so I never bother trying to start over from square 1.

Why split your time up to be just ok at both, be great at one of them.

I'd say its 99% about aesthetics, and how you started to learn. but there are a few cases where matched will work in your favor.

I originally learnt trad grip, and played it all the time. But I couldn’t get a strong back beat playing rock music. So I tried matched. I now play faster, smoother and with more control when I use matched grip. I can also crash with either hand using matched.
Trad still feels like home, but I really only use it for jazz swing when I want to limit my volume.

I have to add that learning both grips, has strengthened both grips for me. It seems odd. Unlike the right hand that can hold a stick many dif ways, the left can’t, so the more varied use of that hand is always helpful. Trad was my first learned and comfortable grip but at my older age I developed carpal tunnel in my left. Two years and 2 Cortisone shots later I decided to learn matched to take the onus off trad and it’s worked with those side benefits, except for mild trigger finger from the matched use.

To some there is a different creative process when playing trad as the movements are different and may help lead to splitting the hands diferently in your mind.

I play matched but, for the most part, I now practice using traditional grip. Somehow, everything seems more musical with trad grip. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at it. Maybe if I keep practicing it will eventually become my preferred grip for playing with other people.

I have to add that learning both grips, has strengthened both grips for me.

+1. I've found that practicing with traditional grip has made my matched grip better.

Dont matter what u use as long as it sounds good. Im 100% trad cause I get more power and finesse than match and its all in the wrist and elbow with my arm resting on my leg....so less wear and tear.

Back