$800 for Rogers Londoner. Is it worth it?

RogerLudwig

This is at my local pawn shop. Going to look today. What do you folks thing about the price?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 5Eb5W55Je3G33F63Hfc81427a09ee665213f6.jpg
    5Eb5W55Je3G33F63Hfc81427a09ee665213f6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,120
  • 5G95Ea5K13K53F73Jcc81da09d38ccbeb1876.jpg
    5G95Ea5K13K53F73Jcc81da09d38ccbeb1876.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,119
  • 5L65E95M13F63L43J6c8185f6c2957ec81d6b.jpg
    5L65E95M13F63L43J6c8185f6c2957ec81d6b.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,180
  • 5Nf5Fc5Mb3Jc3N73Hac8130f0e8fa7b851dfd.jpg
    5Nf5Fc5Mb3Jc3N73Hac8130f0e8fa7b851dfd.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,097
Not an outrageous price. About right, but could go for $100-200 less if you bargained. Usually, pawn shops drums are bit overpriced. Also they're not drum experts so inspect them thoroughly. Nice kit though, I'd love it...

If they've been sitting a while (and you've got cash on hand) offer them $500. If they just came out and they know what they have, it may be a bit harder, but in "THIS ECONOMY", you can definitely get them to come down some, if you need them to.

Go for it. Great sounding tubs. I paid $83 just for the three legs and tom leg mounts you have pictured. The sum of the parts of that kit, are worth it alone. And, of course, if you can get the price reduced, even better.​

I'm not sure if that's an upside down dyna or not.If it is and has the snare frame,and the kit is all original,with no extra holes,then its a good price.Vintage Rogers drums are going for pretty decent money these days,depending on model,wrap,era,and originality.That color I believe is called black strata,and is very similar to 60's vintage Ludwig oyster black pearl.It looks to be original,and not a rewrap..The bass drum hoop looks to be a little out of round,but that can be coaxed back into shape.

I would PM JohnPloughman,who is a member here,and who is THE Rogers guy,for more info.

They are great sounding drums,and were the Cadillac of American drums in the 60's.

Steve B

They are great sounding drums,and were the Cadillac of American drums in the 60's.

Steve B

I had a frankenstein londoner put together from a set of '66 Holidays and 9/72 Fullertons with a matching dyna-sonic maple snare. I sold it in early 2008 and, including paying for shipping it to Italy, the buyer paid more than $7000 for the kit, including all Rogers hardware (cymbal stands, high hat, pedal, and even an NOP set of snare wires). I sold at the top of the market, no doubt, but I've had sellers remorse ever since, so these are starting to look pretty good. Tamadrm, I'm not so sure it's a dyna, but we'll see. Even if it is a dyna missing the snare frame, a replacement frame might still be found.

I thank you all for your opinions. Now I'm off to see them. I'll report back later.

I sold it in early 2008 and, including paying for shipping it to Italy, the buyer paid more than $7000 for the kit, including all Rogers hardware (cymbal stands, high hat, pedal, and even an NOP set of snare wires).

$7,000? Holy jeez. I'd have no remorse. I love Rogers though.

So here’s what happened.

The advertisement for the kit was on Craig’s List for $800.00. When I got to the pawn shop the price in the tag was $1495.00. The shells are Dayton’s and the snare is a five-line COB Dyna-sonic (serial #30xxx). The chrome on the snare was in very good condition, but the other drums had a fair amount of pitting and some rust. The bass drum is missing one claw and T-rod, and has the worst case of pitting. The 16” has seven extra holes, drilled to accommodate a piece of metal that serves as a guide for the legs. Who knows what they were thinking. There is a crack in the wrap on the 16” as well and the rubber feet were missing. The 13” has a crack in the wrap that runs the entire depth of the drum; from batter side to reso side. The 12” was sun-faded on one side such that the wrap was an awful color, almost yellow. All three toms had a fair amount of pitting on the lugs and collet plates. Here’s a good argument for keeping drums in cases, but I digress. I stood there for ten or fifteen minutes pondering what to do. Should I buy it? Should I leave it? Should I offer $600?

Then I was told by one of the staff that it was sold for $1500 and the buyer was going to pick it up on Sunday. I have to say I was relieved to know I didn’t have to make a decision about buying it. I was leaning towards walking away anyhow, so I’m kind of glad it was already sold. I don’t believe that I would have paid $800, let alone $1500 for it. When I told the staff fellow that he’d gotten a great price he got defensive and pointed out that the four wooden drums matched. No kidding, a matched set, as if that isn’t a common phenomenon. Yeah, I said, and then pointed out all of the flaws, congratulated him, and left.

Thanks to all for your sage advice.

Wow...matching wooden drums........got be worth a bizallion bucks.

Sounds like the buyer did you a favor.Collector value wasn't there,but with some work and a little cash,they would have made a great players kit.A real shame about the damage

The deals are still out there,mostly in yard sales,and attic/estate finds.Your Rogers kit will come along.

You got 7K for a Frankenstein Rogers kit?Nice.The best deal I ever got was a 40's aluminum badge Slingerland Super Gene Krupa Radio King with beavertails,and clamshell, 7x14 in WMP ,in 9-9.5 out of 10 condition.I got it at a yard sale for 20 bucks.The owner sold off the other 4 pieces the week before,for 100 bucks.

Steve B

So here’s what happened.

The advertisement for the kit was on Craig’s List for $800.00. When I got to the pawn shop the price in the tag was $1495.00. The shells are Dayton’s and the snare is a five-line COB Dyna-sonic (serial #30xxx). The chrome on the snare was in very good condition, but the other drums had a fair amount of pitting and some rust. The bass drum is missing one claw and T-rod, and has the worst case of pitting. The 16” has seven extra holes, drilled to accommodate a piece of metal that serves as a guide for the legs. Who knows what they were thinking. There is a crack in the wrap on the 16” as well and the rubber feet were missing. The 13” has a crack in the wrap that runs the entire depth of the drum; from batter side to reso side. The 12” was sun-faded on one side such that the wrap was an awful color, almost yellow. All three toms had a fair amount of pitting on the lugs and collet plates. Here’s a good argument for keeping drums in cases, but I digress. I stood there for ten or fifteen minutes pondering what to do. Should I buy it? Should I leave it? Should I offer $600?

Then I was told by one of the staff that it was sold for $1500 and the buyer was going to pick it up on Sunday. I have to say I was relieved to know I didn’t have to make a decision about buying it. I was leaning towards walking away anyhow, so I’m kind of glad it was already sold. I don’t believe that I would have paid $800, let alone $1500 for it. When I told the staff fellow that he’d gotten a great price he got defensive and pointed out that the four wooden drums matched. No kidding, a matched set, as if that isn’t a common phenomenon. Yeah, I said, and then pointed out all of the flaws, congratulated him, and left.

Thanks to all for your sage advice.

Wow. I have to admit I was disappointed when I saw this thread this morning because I was planning on looking at this set on Saturday. I knew if it was any good you'd snap it up so I waited to hear the outcome.

I am sorry you ended up wasting your time but I would have been offering $600 and in the condition you describe probably would have walked out anyway. At least you saved me a trip.

I think I am going to try and pick up a Ludwig kit anyway since I have finally decided I want to get as close as possible to the Ringo Kit for my sons room. Yeah, I've seen the prices and I don't quite know how I am going to pull it off yet... lol.

Wow. I have to admit I was disappointed when I saw this thread this morning because I was planning on looking at this set on Saturday. I knew if it was any good you'd snap it up so I waited to hear the outcome.

I am sorry you ended up wasting your time but I would have been offering $600 and in the condition you describe probably would have walked out anyway. At least you saved me a trip.

I think I am going to try and pick up a Ludwig kit anyway since I have finally decided I want to get as close as possible to the Ringo Kit for my sons room. Yeah, I've seen the prices and I don't quite know how I am going to pull it off yet... lol.

Glad to have saved you the trip. The kit was quite flawed. The CL ad was only two days old, so they went fast. I'd never been to this pawn shop before and they had about four or five kits for sale. I'm definitely going to visit again to check out the inventory. They did have a fairly large (for a pawn shop) collection of guitars and amps.

Good luck with the Ringo kit. There are some nice inexpensive kits sometimes on the IE Craig's List, but some of the asking prices for Ludwig Accents are as much as a new set.

-Bill

You got 7K for a Frankenstein Rogers kit?Nice.The best deal I ever got was a 40's aluminum badge Slingerland Super Gene Krupa Radio King with beavertails,and clamshell, 7x14 in WMP ,in 9-9.5 out of 10 condition.I got it at a yard sale for 20 bucks.The owner sold off the other 4 pieces the week before,for 100 bucks.

Steve B

I was at the right place at the right time. It was the top of the market and the kit was literally flawless. Kept in cases since I got them in the early 70s, cleaned often enough to have no pitting at any of the chrome. Harry Cangany appraised the kit in early 2008 and sent a letter documenting his appraisal. The snare alone was valued at between $4000 and $5000. I think that's what clinched the deal for my Italian buyer. Probably couldn't get $2500 for the snare today.

Yeah, I do sometimes regret selling it, but I was able to buy two custom Ludwig CM kits and hardware with the proceeds. I swear that with the right heads and tuning the CMs sound just about like my old Rogers set.

-Bill

Glad to have saved you the trip. The kit was quite flawed. The CL ad was only two days old, so they went fast. I'd never been to this pawn shop before and they had about four or five kits for sale. I'm definitely going to visit again to check out the inventory. They did have a fairly large (for a pawn shop) collection of guitars and amps.

Good luck with the Ringo kit. There are some nice inexpensive kits sometimes on the IE Craig's List, but some of the asking prices for Ludwig Accents are as much as a new set.

-Bill

As far as that pawn shop I am pretty sure I will never check it out. It's quite a trek for me (near LAX at the moment) and the fact that they listed it for $800 on CL while having it ticketed for almost double that. On top of that I texted the owner about it yesterday and told him I would be coming by so if it has been sold it would have been decent to let me know.

added to all that, the obvious flaws you noticed could have, and SHOULD have been spelled out in the ad. Just doesn't feel like someone I would enjoy dealing with.

but yeah.. ugh.. the Ringo Kit. What is this disease I have? I started out looking at a cheap PDP set to be a part of my sons bedroom remodel and now I won't be satisfied with anything but a true 60's era ludwig kit. Somehow I have got it in my head how cool it will look with the Oyster wrap and The Beatles graphic between his guitars and I can't shake it.

That Rogers kit was my savior because I had half convinced myself that a nice Rogers kit with oyster wrap mocked up like the Ringo kit was "close enough" but the truth is I never would have been satisfied so it's all for the best.

Many years ago I started on a quest for a nice Fender Squier guitar and ended up with a Gibson Les Paul Classic. Still have it to this day, even having been offered way more than I paid many times and now it is my sons favorite guitar. Never regretted that purchase for a single minute.

Once I find these drums and pay enough to jeopardize my marriage, I bet I won't regret them 10 years from now either.

Cheers!

I was at the right place at the right time. It was the top of the market and the kit was literally flawless. Kept in cases since I got them in the early 70s, cleaned often enough to have no pitting at any of the chrome. Harry Cangany appraised the kit in early 2008 and sent a letter documenting his appraisal. The snare alone was valued at between $4000 and $5000. I think that's what clinched the deal for my Italian buyer. Probably couldn't get $2500 for the snare today.

Yeah, I do sometimes regret selling it, but I was able to buy two custom Ludwig CM kits and hardware with the proceeds. I swear that with the right heads and tuning the CMs sound just about like my old Rogers set.

-Bill

That kit wasn't in Mardi Gras wrap was it?The snare....a wood dyna in 14x6.5".Harry is the man.The Vintage stuff will come back in value.Look at 60's early 70's Ludwig Standards.The're getting up there with the Classics in price.

You're right about the CM's .Just beautiful full sounding drums.

Steve B

That kit wasn't in Mardi Gras wrap was it?The snare....a wood dyna in 14x6.5".Harry is the man.The Vintage stuff will come back in value.Look at 60's early 70's Ludwig Standards.The're getting up there with the Classics in price.

You're right about the CM's .Just beautiful full sounding drums.

Steve B

WMP and the snare was a 5x14. I was really lucky

Back