Did You Know??

No ideas, since I never really to much 70's fusion outside of a few things here and there. Although I swear Polly has told this or a similar story before.

Here is one: Name the famous drummer in the late 60's who discussed forming a new band with Jimmy Page, but didn't paving the way for John Bonham to join what became Led Zeppelin.

Not sure if I told it before ... but that could just be my memory.

Carmine Appice??

I would say Ginger Baker,before he kind of forced his way into Blind Faith.Possibly Simon Kirk

Steve B

Here is one: Name the famous drummer in the late 60's who discussed forming a new band with Jimmy Page, but didn't paving the way for John Bonham to join what became Led Zeppelin.

... and I believe that drummer has as much a reputation and influenced as many drummers as John Bonham, am I on the right track?

I'm thinking Steve Gadd or Andy Newmark, who I believe he shared house with at one stage.

Here's one ... Rick Marotta, is known for deceptively simple-sounding, perfect beats.

However, I had an album by a top fusion guitarist who has played with Steely Dan and RM played a somewhat out-of-character take with plenty of fills on the title track. What was the album?

since this got buried Ill give the answer

it was Buddy Richs snare drum

he got it from the late great Bob Yeager at Pro Drum shop

since this got buried Ill give the answer

it was Buddy Richs snare drum

he got it from the late great Bob Yeager at Pro Drum shop

Gvda, not Andy Newmark either then. That's as good as I get - anything else would be a stab in the dark. Buddy Rich? :)

Yeeha!

I knew someone would say Carmine. But not the answer.

Surely not Moonie? :)

I note that no one got my question:
Here's one ... Rick Marotta, is known for deceptively simple-sounding, perfect beats.

However, I had an album by a top fusion guitarist who has played with Steely Dan and RM played a somewhat out-of-character take with plenty of fills on the title track. What was the album?
Answer: Steve Khan's Some Arrows. I thought it was a strong fusion album but it's one of those oldies that almost completely drifts from public memory. Here's the title track with a typically quality take by Rick Marotta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnGytN66dU

Jim Keltner played a Ludwig Vistalite 5x14 Super Sensitive snare drum on the Steely Dan track "Josie" that most everyone in the industry hated the sound of ...Jim himself calls it a "weird instrument" ...luckily Walter and Donald liked the sound

he never used that drum on another track after Josie

how did he acquire that drum?

I'm calling The Loon too, Pol.

He and Entwistle certainly discussed (albeit very briefly) leaving Townhend and Daltry for a new venture with Page. And as MAD correctly points out, hence the name Led Zeppelin.

Yup.

Keith Moon and John Entwistle discussed with Jimmy Page leaving The Who to form a new band with Jimmy Page, and Keith (and/or John) said it would go over like a lead balloon. Keith and John obviously didn't leave The Who, leaving the door open for Jimmy to find new band members, which lead to Bonham joining what became Led Zeppelin.

Here an (easier) one:

Two drummers who have the exact same name have both made the cover of Modern Drummer magazine on separate occasions.

Who are they?

Two drummers who have the exact same name have both made the cover of Modern Drummer magazine on separate occasions.

Can't say I'm an avid reader of Modern Drummer, so I'll take a wild stab in the dark and call on the only drummers I know who share the same name and say the Wards, William and William

......or the Taylors, Roger and Roger. ;-)

Can't say I'm an avid reader of Modern Drummer, so I'll take a wild stab in the dark and call on the only drummers I know who share the same name and say the Wards, William and William

......or the Taylors, Roger and Roger. ;-)

I forget that MD is primary a USA thing.

But yes, Roger Taylor (Queen) and Roger Taylor (Duran Duran) is the answer.

since you guys seem to be ignoring my difficult questions :) Ill ask an easier one

who played "ghost" drums on KISS Dynasty ?

hint; he plays on TV every night

since you guys seem to be ignoring my difficult questions :) Ill ask an easier one

who played "ghost" drums on KISS Dynasty ?

hint; he plays on TV every night

That's easy:

Anton Fig.

Far less easy: Who played "ghost" drums, replacing Patty Schemel, on Hole's "Celebrity Skin album?

Wasn't that something like Zawinul saw in the way he walked or talked or something bizarre like that? It was something non-musical ... Google would get this quickly but I'm trying to be good.

Yep that's it Pol, the walking to be specific. They were recording Heavy Weather a few weeks later I believe.

Here's a good one. How does Tony "Thunder" Smith count 32nd notes, as he explained in a 2010 interview?

This thread makes me feel very inadequate. Excuse me while I go and immerse myself in drumming trivia in the hopes of one day being able to participate .... :)

Yep that's it Pol, the walking to be specific. They were recording Heavy Weather a few weeks later I believe.

Here's a good one. How does Tony "Thunder" Smith count 32nd notes, as he explained in a 2010 interview?

Cool ... I can see why he'd do that because natural grace of movement tends to flow to all areas.

Love Tony Smith. I saw him play with John McLaughlin's One Truth Band, and it was my second favourite gig ever (my fave was Queen). Just incredible. He's a brilliant drummer with a great sounding kit. No idea how he counts 32nd notes, though.

Hmm, maybe equal second fave tied with Oregan (with Ralph Towner and the late, great Colin Walcott) and Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Back