Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin, in the teaser video for the PT-album The Incident you said that "you were never allowed to do this thing in a rockband" or something like that. What were you talking about?

Hi Gavin, just wanna say for being such an inspiration to me, im currently studying Jazz in college here in Quebec city in Canada and its been really usefull to my playing i still dont know if ill see myself as a Jazz Drummer but i still like the feel it gives to my playing and ideas i can grab on! I bought 3 tickets for the Montreal show on September 29th i cant wait to see a second time you guys live!

I got a question for you! I this video which is you playing So What at Pasic 2008, around 1:40 i see you playing rolls what are these actually, are these 16th triplets? and where do you actually start to play them on 1 or the and of 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWoOMALJrQ

Thx and see you on september 29!
Ethan!

Last edited:
Hello Sir,
I think you ought to have a look at this
http://www.rsjonline.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3895&PN=1
people out here are going crazy over some rumour of PT coming down to play in december
is there any trace of truth in that ?

also iv been tripping on Circles off late
the buzz roll in Faith that comes around 2 minutes into the song is unbelievable
the first time i heard it...i played it back 4 times to actually digest the fact that a drummer can play such a roll with such control, clarity and more importantly...feel.
i think that track is by far one of the most musically expressive pieces iv ever heard

it cost me a bomb to ship it to India...but id like to tell everyone on the forum ITS WORTH IT....please buy a copy ..... its a treasure chest of rhythmic knowledge

cheers
(and thanks for making such an album)

Hi NickPavlou_GR

1. Watching you in Lycabettus Theatre in Athens in 2005 - After this show, you released Deadwing, FoaBP, NR and now you are going to release "The Incident" and still we haven't see you touring around here! Basically I think that something happened here that was a bad experience for you and that's why you're avoiding Greece. Am I correct ? Or is there something else that makes you leave Greece out of touring? I was thinking about coming in England and attending on of your gigs, but it is way too expensive idea for a single night :/

I know we haven't been to Greece in a long time. Nothing bad happened at all - we just haven't been able to fit in into our schedule.

2. Great work on "Time Flies" preview!! What I want to ask on this is that, Stevens voice has something "vintage" that makes me recall older decades. Do you know if he used any plugin in order to create this feeling? Or even if he did something in the mixing process?

You should ask Steve that.

3. This year I finished my Bachelor course on Sound Engineering. It was a distance-course with the Preston University in America and as far as I know, I can go on with a post-graduate after this one. I've heard that in England, especially in London there are some very nice universities in case I want to do this step. Can you suggest any?

I'm not really in touch with the Universities in the UK so I can't recommend one. I'm sure there are some - I'm just the wrong person to ask. Sorry.

4. Let's say, that I want to work with you, with the PA staff. Is there this possibility? I guess not since you probably all know each other and you're a team but I was always curious :)

The PA is handled by our sound engineer. He would be the person who chooses the PA staff.

Hi jez-

Gavin, in the teaser video for the PT-album The Incident you said that "you were never allowed to do this thing in a rockband" or something like that. What were you talking about?

I was reiterating something that Robert Fripp had said to me: "Play what you've always wanted to play in a rock band - but were never allowed"

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

I got a question for you! I this video which is you playing So What at Pasic 2008, around 1:40 i see you playing rolls what are these actually, are these 16th triplets? and where do you actually start to play them on 1 or the and of 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWoOMALJrQ

I think they're 5 stroke rolls (32nd note) starting on beat 2.

Hi drumbumhamza

I think you ought to have a look at this
http://www.rsjonline.com/Forum/forum...?TID=3895&PN=1
people out here are going crazy over some rumour of PT coming down to play in december is there any trace of truth in that ?

Yes there's a good possibility. We have been asked and we'd love to do it. I think there's still a few details to iron out so it's not confirmed yet - but let's hope it happens!! Glad you're enjoying "Circles".

cheers
Gavin

Yes there's a good possibility. We have been asked and we'd love to do it. I think there's still a few details to iron out so it's not confirmed yet - but let's hope it happens!! Glad you're enjoying "Circles".

cheers
Gavin

:) thanks for the info
hope it works out
hope we meet this time (I barely shook hands with you in London)
(PS the institute you'll be coming to is coincidentally the same institute at which i teach drums :) )

Hi Gavin -

I'm patiently waiting for "The Incident" from the clips I've heard so far, this sounds to be an amazing work! Do you feel the excitement in anticipation of the release date and the public hearing it or is that all gone now in favor of the upcoming tour?

Another question that goes back a few years - for the DVD "Arriving Somewhere" there were a number of tracks played at the concerts in Chicago but not included on the DVD:

Radioactive Toy (played both nights; I know the bonus tracks included this from another show)
Deadwing
Gravity Eyelids
Mellotron Scratch
Strip the Soul
Shesmovedon

I was curious why these performances from Chicago were not included on the DVD and might these ever see a release?

thanks; all the best -

Backing tracks

Hello!
I have a solo oppertunity coming up soon, and was wondering if you have the backing track for that (awesome) song that you can be seen playing on your Drummerworld page that's like a Big Band/Hip-Hop track (that I unfortunately don't know the name of) available for download or purchase from anywhere, like the 19 Days track was made available through Rhythmin Horizons?

If not, is there anywhere you can recommend that I can get drumless backing tracks from, as I'm in desparate need of finding something to play along to that I can really make my own, preferably without the drums already there!

Thank you!

Huw

Hi cygnify

Do you feel the excitement in anticipation of the release date and the public hearing it or is that all gone now in favor of the upcoming tour?

Not really - I've heard the record thousands of times already as I was working on it. I'll probably never listen to it ever again!!

Another question that goes back a few years - for the DVD "Arriving Somewhere" there were a number of tracks played at the concerts in Chicago but not included on the DVD:
I was curious why these performances from Chicago were not included on the DVD and might these ever see a release?

We chose what we thought were the right songs for the DVD to have a flow to it. Sure there were other songs and alternative performances too (plus some soundcheck performances) - but I think it dilutes the quality if you just release everything. The material on the disc is (in our opinion) the best stuff.

Hi Huwbean

I have a solo oppertunity coming up soon, and was wondering if you have the backing track for that (awesome) song that you can be seen playing on your Drummerworld page that's like a Big Band/Hip-Hop track (that I unfortunately don't know the name of) available for download or purchase from anywhere, like the 19 Days track was made available through Rhythmin Horizons?

No it's not available.

If not, is there anywhere you can recommend that I can get drumless backing tracks from, as I'm in desparate need of finding something to play along to that I can really make my own, preferably without the drums already there!

have a look at www.drumfun.com there's loads of good sounding drum-less tracks there.

cheers
Gavin

Re: Backing tracks

Thank you!

Huw

In addition to what Gavin recommended, if you purchase Drumhead magazine it usually comes with a CD that has at least one 'playalong track' where they give you the full band on one track of the CD and then everything minus drums on the next tracks, as well as transcriptions of all the drum parts in the magazine. The playalong track usually features a click track as well, though, so I don't know if that would be good for your purposes.

PT play in India
09-04-2009

Porcupine Tree are happy to announce their first ever performance in India. It will take place on 21st December at the Mood Indigo festival, ITT Bombay, in Mumbai. More info soon.

wooooohooooooooo
cant wait

Hi Gavin, i take your post ad i wanna reply you, and this probably is the first time that i'll not agree with you!
All the Italian drummers that i ever met, that have your DVD's LOVES them.Because those are simply AMAZING.And because those drum methods are subtitled in Italian.
So you can say that it will be expensive, and that it take a LOT of time, but i can tell you: YOUR SUBTITLES ARE APRECIATED A LOT. ;)

cheers from Italy
Riccardo

Hi Gavin
Hi Riccardo

I agree with ItalianRicky, your works are wonderful, and all the italian drummers have appreciated a lot your work.your subtitles are appreciated a lot. You are really a great. "you're number one " we love you thanks a lot from all italian drummer

For anyone who hasn't been to the PT site lately, Gavin recently participated in the Stick it to MS event in Brimingham, at which 582 drummers broke a world record by playing in unison for over 5 minutes. There's a montage of video footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhryPbjaadU

Just wanted to thank you Gavin for taking part in this kind of important work. MS has affected my life personally as well so it was nice to see so many people working for this good cause.

I was also curious; were you just down on the floor with all the other drummers, or what was your participation exactly?

Hi NeuroAxis

Just wanted to thank you Gavin for taking part in this kind of important work. MS has affected my life personally as well so it was nice to see so many people working for this good cause. I was also curious; were you just down on the floor with all the other drummers, or what was your participation exactly?

I was on the stage. It wasn't an event that I was invited to -I think most of the drummers on stage had played the day before at the Birmingham Drum Fest - but when I read about Stick It To MS I felt a call to duty and contacted the organisers and told them I wanted to join in. It was an amazing day. I don't think I've ever heard a noise quite like it!!!!

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

Okey, not a very drum-related question this..but here you go.

Do you have spotify? If so, do you have a playlist you want to share? Just noticed the playlist site on the PT-page, and I really liked the Aaron parks - Invisible cinema album! Some great stuff!

cheers!

Hello Mr. Harrison. First off, I think its amazing that you can dedicate time to your fans and i'm sure everyone here really apreciates it.
Massive fan, i love your creativity and your smoothing of odd time signatures. Infact i love just about everything in your drumming, everything is very unique and you inspire me to try harder every day.
I just wanted to ask about tuning the reso head on the toms, what technique you use if it wouldn't be giving away too much. I've been struggling with tuning my resos a lot lately.
Pre-ordered the new Porcupine Tree album, can't wait to hear it.
All the best and Thank You in advance

Last edited:
Hello Sir,
I thought you'd wana take a look at these clippings.

scan0001large.jpg

scan0002large.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for other articles as well. There are gona be tonnes of these :p

Cheers

Hi Gav how are u? i hope fine,

What could I say the new cd of PT its so amazing
can you tell me what do you do in boonie the cat and the metric about this track
you sound so tight so fat so wonderful man, you inspire me to put my sticks into the drums everyday and be the best i can be

cheers and god bless u man
i hope to see you someday here in mexico doing a drum clinic one of these days ;)

Raul Guereca,

Hi Gavin!

Nice to have you here!
I've just listened to "The Incident" and I'm really impressed! And your versatile playing is a really big part of that success.

Now my question: do you especially work alone with Colin Edwin to get these fantastic bass-drums interactions or does it simply comes together while playing the tunes with the full band?

Thanks and cheers!
Jerome

Back