Gavin Harrison here!

AndrewL

Hi Gavin!

I don't really have a question. That link to the Derek Roddy video was great. Have you checked this one out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_-Qql7alM Dave and Derek are both monster players.

Also, I didn't buy tickets to the Porcupine Tree show for Toronto (Sept 30th) when I should have (I needed to see if anybody I knew wanted to go) and now tickets are selling online for (minimum) $200 a ticket, and at some places over $450 a ticket!!! It's absolutely ridiculous, and the concert is still 2 months away. I've compared the ticket prices for the Toronto show with prices for almost every other place PT is playing and by far, the Toronto concert was the most expensive. Unless I can find some for under $100 a ticket, I don't think I'll be able to go :'( . At least I'll be able to enjoy The Incident; I'm very excited for it.

Gus

Hi Terry

Can Finale play the music written with it? Or may need another program, midi module or something?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Gustavo

Last edited:

Alex P.

Can Finale play the music written with it? Or may need another program, midi module or something?

Hi Gus,

Yes Finale can play the music written. The sounds are not great, and there is no "feeling", no "groove" (like all the midi files), but it still helps.

supermac

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for getting back to me about the possible newspaper interview before PT play at Newcastle Academy in December.

My question is about 19 Days from your DVD. I've ust started working with it. I can happily playing along to marimba 19/8 section - but when the piano - and especially the accoustic guitar - come in, all the different accents and phrases throw me.

When you're playing the song, are you 'singing' the marimba pattern to yourself, or are you just 'eeling the 19/8 groove?

Cheers

supermac

Hi Gavin,

Further to post 2/3 days ago. After intesive study, I have got my head around the 19/8 riff on 19 Days and can play along to it quite freely.

Still have to count from 2mins 45 to 3min 30 though!

Lovely piece of music and great time signature to play with.

One of my favourite ever time signatures to is from the Billy Cobham album Crosswinds where he plays in 15/16, but it grooves brilliantly. I've been jamming to it for years.

Have you ever come across it?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi supermac

When you're playing the song, are you 'singing' the marimba pattern to yourself, or are you just 'eeling the 19/8 groove?

I think in the beginning I did carry on singing that marimba pattern just to keep myself in the 19. After a while you just start to feel it.

Hi Alex P.

Here is the “Shallow” ‘s transcription. It’s a bit difficult to hear the bass drum on the chorus, and the ghost-notes. So, I hope this is good.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8408/shallow1.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1024/shallow2.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9695/shallow3.jpg

Many thanks for these - they look great - good job!

Do you know when your next book will be saleable?

We don't know at the moment - myself and Terry are putting the final touches to it right now. I would hope it will be available before the end of this year.

Hi Kalma

how long did you work on this solo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s604Pa-waH0

I wrote a couple of drum patterns to play over (as you see in the cut in) and then I just improvised for about 10 minutes. What ended up on the DVD is an edited down version of that 10 minute solo. So as far as "how long did I work on the solo"? - about 10 minutes.

cheers
Gavin

The Bassist

Hey Gavin, I have a couple of questions that I've wanted to ask you, so here they are:

1) Are there any disadvantages to playing primarily open handed on the drums? I'm right handed, but play on the hi hat with my left, and have played like that since I began, but I've been told before that it limits me, although I don't really see how.

2) Around how long did it take you to at least begin to master stuff like playing a jazzy rhythm on the ride, and ghost notes on the snare without breaking the ride rhythm? I've been trying to do this for a while now, but it seems I'm not catching on.

and a couple of PT related questions: I'm going to go see you guys at the Boston House of Blues on sept 27, and was wondering if the live film will be playing in the background there. I've been to the venue before to see Opeth, and there was nothing there. I was also wondering if there would be a chance afterwards to meet you guys :p

Thanks in advanced. You've been my favorite drummer for a long time, and after learning that you take the time to personally answer fans' questions, that just made me respect you even more.
Have a great day!

Overg

Hey Gavin,

I can't believe that you are still here :) finding the time to answer the infinite questions, this is so great, I always read this thread.

I have a question as well.. :

was wondering, in a live show, how do u tune the headphones, is the bass guitar is the one you want to hear the most?
or maybe the guitar ? and the vocals ?

Thanks again for your time :)

O

nanrick

Hello Gavin,

Huge fan of your drumming here. Your latest work with OSI is a masterpiece. I like the tracks; The Escape Artist, False Start, Radiolougue and Be The Hero. But I must say that I'm in real awe with your drumming on Stockholm, I just love the subtleties you laid on that track, truly magnificent.

On with my question, you mentioned that you never personally met Kevin and James for that session, so we're you exchanging audio files back and forth? And if yes, how much are you involved in terms of your drum sound, did you use (aside from your usual drum setup) other drum, cymbals or percussion instruments?

And on your drum mics to DAW recording hook-up, how do they show in your Logic Pro, do they all show as a one track or are they all showing 16 separate tracks?

Apologies for the many questions. It's my first time.

Thanks

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi The Bassist

1) Are there any disadvantages to playing primarily open handed on the drums? I'm right handed, but play on the hi hat with my left, and have played like that since I began, but I've been told before that it limits me, although I don't really see how.

I would say that it's actually an advantage to play open handed - as long as you're left hand is better and smoother at holding the time.

2) Around how long did it take you to at least begin to master stuff like playing a jazzy rhythm on the ride, and ghost notes on the snare without breaking the ride rhythm? I've been trying to do this for a while now, but it seems I'm not catching on.

I can't really say - because that was the very first thing I learnt to do. My Dad was a jazz musician and that's all I was listening to when I was very young. He played a little bit of drums - so I guess I picked it up from him.

I'm going to go see you guys at the Boston House of Blues on sept 27, and was wondering if the live film will be playing in the background there.

Yes there should be. I haven't been to that venue - but I'm assuming that the stage is big enough (and high enough) to set up a screen? The only times we don't use the screen is if the venue simply isn't big enough at the back to put it up. Occasionally at festivals it's too difficult to organise it.

I was also wondering if there would be a chance afterwards to meet you guys

I can't promise to meet anyone after a show. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. Sorry to be vague.

Hi Overg

I was wondering, in a live show, how do u tune the headphones, is the bass guitar is the one you want to hear the most? or maybe the guitar ? and the vocals ?

I try to make a pretty even balance of all the instruments and vocals - I don''t really have one much louder than another.

Hi nanrick

On with my question, you mentioned that you never personally met Kevin and James for that session, so we're you exchanging audio files back and forth? And if yes, how much are you involved in terms of your drum sound, did you use (aside from your usual drum setup) other drum, cymbals or percussion instruments?

Yes we just sent files to each other. I used my usual drumset and mics here at my home studio - and that's pretty much what it sounds like on the record. We didn't discuss that drum sound - they seemed to like it from the start of the process. I changed ride cymbals and snare a couple of times where I thought it needed it.

And on your drum mics to DAW recording hook-up, how do they show in your Logic Pro, do they all show as a one track or are they all showing 16 separate tracks?

Yes they turn up as 16 separate tracks in Logic.

cheers
Gavin

Gus

Hi Gavin,

In your previous dvds you enclosed Italian and German subtitles. Have you thought in doing Spanish subtitles for you forthcoming one?.

Just saw the MD2008 dvd and you were brilliant. Great sound. Was a surprise to me see you playing 'life', one of my favourites, and what a great farewell with 'quite firm'!. Love that horn section and your drumming around.

Best regards
Gus

huXler

Hi Gavin!

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen. We could convince our drum teacher to come with us, and we all can't wait to see you guys live.
Is there anything special planned for that show?

Cheers

kvri

Hi Gavin,

First of all, I have to say that you are one of my favorite drummers ever. I just love the melodic way of drumming, that too few rock drummers have.. Maybe its a jazz background thing..

Anyway, I got the Rhythmic Horizons DVD and that has helped me a lot as a drummer. Now I am finally able to somehow tackle through Porcupine Tree songs like Halo and Sound of Muzak! When trying to play these songs I too usually hum the bass melody in my head.

However, when the guitar or bass is playing in another time than drums I'll get confused (especially in odd time signatures). I noticed that PT has many songs that utilize these polyrhythms between different instruments. So what's your trick to keep in time in these songs? I guess you use same tricks when displacing beats in fills, do you just ignore the bass track in your head? I guess I just havent got that sixth sense you mentioned in the DVD to feel where I am in the beat.

On another note, I already preordered the new album. So the second question is, how does it feel to be able to play with such great musicians? I mean all the guys in PT are virtuosos on their instruments, not to mention other bands like KC you have worked with.

Cheers,
Jukka

zacharr

Hi Gavin!

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen. We could convince our drum teacher to come with us, and we all can't wait to see you guys live.

Cheers
If Gavin would tell you, it won't be special anymore, right? :)
Cheers
Tom

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Gus

In your previous dvds you enclosed Italian and German subtitles. Have you thought in doing Spanish subtitles for you forthcoming one?.

There will not be any subtitles on the next DVD. I don't think anyone actually appreciated them on the previous DVDs - and it was a MASSIVE amount of work/time/money to do them.

Hi huXler

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen.

Every night is a special night ;-) Is there any particular reason that you think we should be doing something 'special' in Wettingen?

Hi kvri

However, when the guitar or bass is playing in another time than drums I'll get confused (especially in odd time signatures). I noticed that PT has many songs that utilize these polyrhythms between different instruments. So what's your trick to keep in time in these songs? I guess you use same tricks when displacing beats in fills, do you just ignore the bass track in your head? I guess I just havent got that sixth sense you mentioned in the DVD to feel where I am in the beat.

Actually I like to know what everyone else is playing and how it relates to what I'm doing. Otherwise it's like "1,2,3,4 see you at the end of the song" and just hope that you all finish together.

cheers
Gavin

huXler

Hi huXler

Me and my cousin just got our tickets for the 25th November in Wettingen.

Every night is a special night ;-) Is there any particular reason that you think we should be doing something 'special' in Wettingen?
No, no particular reason, but I had to ask something after all :-D

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

I'm not sure if my questions were answered already, so I just ask...

-1- How do you program your clicktracks?
-2- How do you get such an dry sound to your snares without dampening?
I use an Sonor Artist Vintage Maple Snare in 14*5. Standard Sonor Resohead and an Evans 2layer Head.
Without dampening I don't get a good sound out of the snare and I was tuning it for 4 hours yesterday.. I also watched the Bob Gatzen videos on youtube.

Maybe you can give me some tips?

Thanks again
David

NeuroAxis

Hi Gavin,

I'm not sure if my questions were answered already, so I just ask...

-1- How do you program your clicktracks?
-2- How do you get such an dry sound to your snares without dampening?
I use an Sonor Artist Vintage Maple Snare in 14*5. Standard Sonor Resohead and an Evans 2layer Head.
Without dampening I don't get a good sound out of the snare and I was tuning it for 4 hours yesterday.. I also watched the Bob Gatzen videos on youtube.

Maybe you can give me some tips?

Thanks again
David
There was a website setup www.askgavinharrison.com which arhives all past posts so that you can search for the answers to things that have already been asked. I believe there is ample material on both of your questions at that website.

Drum-R

Hi Gavin!

Did you get an 20'' Oriental Crash of Doom and cut it down to 18''...
Because on Zildjian site there's no 18'' Crash of Doom