Who is your favorite drummer(s)

Mark Heron, definately, he's the drummer of the band Oceansize... i HIGHLY recommend it, these guys are sick, my favorites ever.

I also like Gil Sharon, who's now playing with The Dillinger Escape Plan.
Dan Foord (Sikth), Abe Cunningham (Deftones) and Matt Tong ( Bloc Party)

Neil Peart - Rush
Gavin Harrison - Porcupine Tree
Bill Bruford- -Yes
Danny Carey - Tool
John Bonham - Zep
Carl Palmer - ELP
Stewart Copeland - Police
Ray Luzier - Army of Anyone
Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
Neil Smith - Alice Cooper
Jason Sutter - Marilyn Manson
Phil Collins - Genesis
Nick Mason - Pink Floyd
Eric Kretz - STP
Ringo Star - The Beatles
Keith Moon - The Who
Buddy Rich - Solo mostly

Hmmm. Gavin, Keith, Buddy and Ringo all on the same list. Go figure. Nice list, man.

1)ray luzier (favourite)
2)david silveria
3)dave lombardo
4)joey jordison
5)lars ulrich (not much)

John bonham ( led zepplin)
Jimmy chaimberlin ( smashing pumpkins)
Matt cameron ( pearl jam)
Sean kinney ( alice in chains)
Chad smith ( rhcp)
Dave grohl ( nirvana)
Taylor hawkins ( foo fighters

My favourites are Mark Craney, Vinnie Colaiuta, John Bonham, Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, Peter Erskine, Rodney Holmes and Ringo Starr. I really admire all and love their style of playing.

The Rev - A7X
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Buddy Rich
Tre Cool - Green Day
Neil Peart - Rush
Eric Kretz - Stone Temple Pilots(Bet you weren't expecting that one :p)

Here are a list of my favourite drummers. (no order)

Chris Pennie - Dillinger Escape Plan, Coheed And Cambria, Return To Earth, Fight Mannequins
Mike "Ratboy" Novak - (Previous) Every Time I Die
Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters (awesome grooves!)
Brann Dailor - Mastodon
Art Taylor - Jazz Sessions
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden
Jose from Incubus
Steve Shelley - Sonic Youth (does alot of 16ths and has sick grooves and fills)
Jimmy Cobb - Jazz Session Drummer

and many more! But those are guys I can name off the top of my head. Some of you may never have heard of most of them haha! These are why I love them :

Chris Pennie - The approach he has to drumming is amazing! His ideas, linear stickings and polyrhythms, grooves etc. etc. though people think he is all "chops" because of his solo videos on YouTube. He CAN groove really well.

Ratboy - This dude, he used a single pedal with Every Time I Die and I was surprised I was always like "No way!" then I took the time to sit down, learn a few songs and they turned out to be easy. Still need to make a few videos for YouTube to annoy all the people who covered the songs with a double pedal. Haha!

Taylor Hawkins - Nothing much, he's a straight-up solid drummer. He's just always been an inspiration for me live and I love watching him play. Also met him! Check out his solo stuff "Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders" on YouTube or Spotify.

Brann Dailor - I remember reading Rhythm magazine over here in the UK and you could ask Brann a question and I had just started listening to Mastodon a few months prior and digged the drummer. Surprisingly, my question got printed which was "Who are your biggest influences and did you ever take lessons?" and to my surprise, he had 2 lessons and he went back and forward to drums. Abit like me when I started! And not only that, but alot of his influences were the same as mine! (not really the metal side, I don't have a double pedal or dig much metal). So I started checking him out more, bought a ticket to see Mastodon and it was killer! He doesn't have a big kit but makes it sound amazing! 2 crashes a ride, 3 rack toms and a floor tom. Come on? Dude's sick! Also has so tasty licks!

Art Taylor - Nothing to say, he's played on alot of Jazz albums. I remember listening to one (can't remember, Miles Davis probably) and being like "Wow! That drummer is insane" went and checked the performers and there he was, Art Taylor. Started listening to more of his stuff and checking him out, I was in shock! Definitely an unsung Jazz drummer. I'd say better than Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqB-jOCgkTY&feature=related This video is amazing!

Matt Cameron - I love Soundgarden, I love time signatures, I love Pearl Jam, I love Matt Cameron. Dude just has an amazing sound and has a Dave Weckl/Steve Gadd approach to the drums. Which is unusual in Alt. Rock drumming, he even said he listened to more Fusion and Jazz before working with Soundgarden. Which is awesome!

Jose - Don't like his technique much, but his playing makes up big time for it. I still struggle with all the splash cymbal stuff he does in songs and he's doing really well for being self-taught. Maybe it isn't his technique, he is like... Really small after all?

Mark Heron, definately, he's the drummer of the band Oceansize... i HIGHLY recommend it, these guys are sick, my favorites ever.

I also like Gil Sharon, who's now playing with The Dillinger Escape Plan.
Dan Foord (Sikth), Abe Cunningham (Deftones) and Matt Tong ( Bloc Party)

Gil hasn't played with Dillinger for over 4 years now. They have a new guy, Billy Rymer. Not to mention the drumming on Ire Works is actually Chris Pennie I believe? Apart from like 2 or 3 songs. :)

Patrick Carney of the The Black Keys :) inspiration for me to start playing again because of his simple but tight beats.

And Taylor Hawkins, but like him better with Alanis Morissette

To be perfectly honest, my favorite drummer is me.

Sure, it may sound conceited at first, but when I think about it....it sounds perfectly rational.

My favorite drummers are
  • Joey Jordison - Slipknot
  • Dave Grohl - Foo Fighters
  • Chris Adler - Lamb of God
  • Jojo Mayer

Last edited:
In no particular order...

Neal Peart - Rush
Buddy Rich
Mr. John Bonham - Zeppelin
Clyde Stubblefield - James Brown
Chad Smith - RHCP
Percussion - Tito Puente

Honorable mentions...

Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Alex Van Halen - Van Halen

I'm really enjoying Eric Harland, Ari Hoenig, Antonio Sanchez and Brian Blade right now. My teacher has turned me on to Jeff Ballard's stuff as well, add to that the classic masters like Elvin and Tony. I'm also really enjoying the stuff of a puertorrican drummer, Henry Cole, I would guess not many here would know of him but he is out there making his name in New York (and playing all over with Miguel Zenon) and is such an incredibly huge inspiration, check him out: http://vimeo.com/36600936

Henry Cole is a killer. He sounds great with David Sanchez Quartet as well as Zenon. Lage Lund on guitar in that group is incredible.

What Ballard are you checking out? I love his playing, I think its pretty amazing that he played in Ray Charles's band, and also with Chick Corea and Brad Mehldau. I think he's quirky, and has a very individual way of playing.

Also, if you like Harland, if you haven't checked out Kendrick Scott yet, you should. His touch on the cymbals is really outstanding.

Gene Krupa
Buddy Rich
Mitch Mitchell
Chad Smith
Jojo Mayer
I admire chops but all these drummers have something much more important. Feel. Whatever they play it's the music that comes first and the flash and chops second. Krupa is my all time favorite. No one could swing a band quite the way he did but we're all still trying.

Back