Most Random bit of equipment that's failed at a gig

What happened was that the beater got stuck in my trousers leg on each beat!

I was about to post about this very thing! What a weird feeling: when you come down hard on the pedal and instead of getting a sound, your pantleg suddenly jerks forward...

Others:

-The foam ring of an EMAD head slipping out and flopping around... that momentary confusion when the kick response and sound suddenly changes AND you want to know what creature is brushing against your leg!

-I was in the middle of a competition performance when I noticed my snare felt dead and sounded very low... afterwards I realized the top head had separated from the collar and one entire half of the head was completely loose...

-In the middle of a heavy session one of the throne's legs just broke and down I went. That was startling to say the least!

Last edited:
I was about to post about this very thing! What a weird feeling: when you come down hard on the pedal and instead of getting a sound, your pants cuff suddenly jerks forward...

Others:

-The foam ring of an EMAD head slipping out and flopping around... that momentary confusion when the kick response and sound suddenly changes AND you want to know what creature is brushing against your leg!

-I was in the middle of a competition performance when I noticed my snare felt dead and sounded very low... afterwards I realized the top head had separated from the collar and one entire half of the head was completely loose...

-In the middle of a heavy session one of the throne's legs just broke and down I went. That was startling to say the least!

I had the throne failure happen as well during a gig. Luckily I position the tripod with one leg forward and two back. It was the front that broke and I was able to finish the song balanced on the back two and my pedals. I finished the set in a chair.

I use a stick bad as a holder during gigs and hang it from my 16" floor tom. One night the bottom rips out of the bag. I look down mid-gig and realize all of my spare sticks were all over the floor. It looked like somebody was trying to build a fire under my floor tom. I dont generally lose sticks while playing, but the rest of that gig I was scared to death that I was going to chuck one and have to dig around on the floor for a new one mid-song.

I really digged into the pedal, with no sound at all... What happened was that the beater got stuck in my trousers leg on each beat!
Happened to me once.. but the song was 'All Shook Up' by Elvis.. and O course it happened right at the spot where the band cuts out and there's a big 'thump' from the kick drum!

- nothing but dead air - everytime it came around!

Not really an answer to the question but I'll share anyway.

We played a good support slot a couple of years back in front of a packed audience. The Tivoli in Buckley we were at, supporting From The Jam.

I'm a very large bloke. The bass pedal fell apart on me. So, having a spare in my drum bag, song ends, and I set off running to get the spare.

The singer pipes up, "Uh oh, drummer's just heard that Greggs are about to close".

Audience cracked up, I cracked up. Struggled to set the spare pedal up for the tears of laughter rolling down my face.

The wing nut on a double tom stand failed in the middle of a tune. The toms went crashing to the lowest position. Fortunately, had one crew guy out with us. He clamped it in place with a pair of vice grips. No beats missed. lol

I broke a snare side head somehow, but that was during rehearsal.

On a gig (all of these in high school oddly enough), I've had clutches loosen up and drop the top cymbal, my bass drum pedal come unhooked from the hoop, a cymbal stand collapse and fall over, and one of my floor tom legs gave way and the floor tom collapsed.

I had a gig in 2013 or so where the 'venue' (a local bar that was run by volunteers and a lot of people/friends from the village would come to) said that they had a drumset and i wouldn't need to bring my own.

First band arrived, drummer sets up his kit, finishes his set and i begin to setup the kit i supposed to play: no throne (since then i always bring my own throne), They had some kind of weird wooden chair that didn't work, but the other drummer was kind enough to borrow his. Also, there wasn't a rug under the kit so the bass drum kept slipping away. Especially with double bass work. During our second set we strapped the bass to the throne with some ropes and that worked fine. Oh and ofcourse i brought only one pair of the sticks i used (last pair) and during that gig i snapped a stick and didn't have a replacement for it, so i finished that song on a pair of other sticks i had in my bag.

If i have a gig nowadays i always check before hand if everything is there (and even bring my own stuff just to be sure).

In the winter of 2014, I was playing a show in Chicago with country singer Corey Cox. With about 3 songs to go in the last set, my bass drum pedal spring snapped. I had no backup pedal, so I had to play the bass drum parts on the floor tom for the rest of the show. We had to leave early the next morning for our next show (otherwise I would've gone to Vic's Drum Shop- that place is AMAZING!), and I ended up going to a hardware store in Sterling, Illinois to find a replacement spring. I found one that worked well enough, but to this day I ALWAYS bring a backup kick pedal (and snare drum too).

Back