Too obsessed with drums?

lol at the chris adler cat comment. he really doesn't have any interest other than his band. not even doing drum solos.

I've tried several times to get the gravity blast(? i think that's what its called jojo mayer just called it a 1 handed roll in his dvd) technique down in my biology class. The only other thing I can do in that class is stare at the 2 lab rats in their cage. I also like to play neat hip hop beats and see if anyone notices....they never do. Not even if I'm rocking out on demo kit at Guitar center....lol.

Far Beyond Driven or Beyond The Realms...........

Obsession: an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something (drums) or someone (drummer).

Hell yeah -anybody want to make something of it? LOL
I think of all things you could be obsessed a musical instrument-like drums- is really healthy and good. Right?

Don't worry, I'm like you but I'm also have keys + guitars + bass +.... Well, music in general and music gear in particular!!!

I would think most here will be in the same boat :) Drums are my living so they take up most of my day no matter what.
I did retire from playing in 2003 for 12 years to concentrate on my family. I was 'forced' back into playing in 2015 & I am now worse than I ever was with them. I am in a happy place though with it all & my wife is very supportive :)

I have the Thomann app on my phone and i check every day if there has been new gear released. I like to stay informed about what is new. And i'm always thinking about improving my setup etc.

Yup, i do the same.. just means you are a drummer :) Last night i watched a hour long docu about Pearts last drumkit.. i thought that was all just graphics on it, not inlay.. completely insane..

I can relate 😄👍. Been obsessed since I started playing in bands around the late 90's. When my best friends (non-musicians) are gaming (used to do that a lot with these guys earlier) and wondering what the hell I do in my spare time now (after the kid is sent to bed), the answer is most probably drums or band related.

🤔

10D9906A-8B06-4E9D-83A6-7E91451A2A9A.jpeg

I‘ll take “compelling motivation” for $800, Alex.

I’ve been obsessed with:
  • Surfing
  • Bicycling (road racing & mountain biking)
  • Skateboarding (slalom racing, preferably giant slalom ‘cuz the wipeouts are horrific)
  • Crew (i.e., “rowing long skinny boats”)
  • Photography
  • Drums
Surfing will always be #1, even if I’m 4,000 km from the closest shoreline and haven’t paddled into a wave in 35 years. Obviously it’s a “disturbing preoccupation”.

I used to own a Mazda 323, the car was great lasted over 225,000 miles and then I sold it to a friend for $1.00. I replaced the clutch only after 200,000 miles. But the greatest thing about the car was the cover over the steering wheel had an incredible hollow sound similar to a conga drum. Also the car had an unusually large steering wheel for such a small car that allowed my hands to play the steering wheel cover while driving. I have not found another car that sounded so good.

I was addicted to drumming. I feel it is like a meditation, and the addiction is possibly the same that runners feel.

I was working one time the late night shift at a 7-11 many years ago. I brought a pair of drum sticks and practice pad to let the night go easier. I found that if you hit the 2 liter pepsi bottles with the sticks the right way, they sound great. I got fired from doing that when they found out. But, that was many years ago.

When I hit the turn indicator in my car, I'm
hammering out a rhythm on the steering wheel in time.
The other day I was washing the stainless salad bowl
and I couldn't help but to flip it over and check out the
tone. I found the sweet spot!

My legs bounce when I'm seated. Pens, pencils and
utensils are all percussion instruments, to me.

Once I was changing the water bottle on the cooler at
work and I started jamming on flat bottom of the empty.
What a sound!

Am I too obsessed with drums?
YEP !! i dont buy a new car unless the dash board has a good drum sound !! ,and the radio is more important than the A/C !!

My obsessions have run drums, hunting/fishing, weight lifting, sex, drugs, rocknroll, running, science, research, teaching, wife/kids/family and friends. Saved best for last. I make myself hunt and fish on occasion because the thrill is gone. I still keep reading and thinking research- I miss that a lot. But music and drums have been a constant for decades- I never tire of it and my thrill grows if anything.
I worry and obsess over my family. Right now it’s my wife and daughters- their Mom/ Grandmother is dying ( kidneys shutdown a few days back so matter of time). All the grandkids and great grand babies came this weekend to basically say good bye. It was beautiful she was so happy to see all together at one time. What a zoo lol. My wife has been staying there caring for her. My mother in law is at home thankfully. Just celebrated 61 years of marriage and my father in law has been in poor health longer and can’t believe she is dying before him- because she had been in excellent health. He won’t leave her side, always been faithful. I’m the only male in my family to be faithful- the only who tried to be a father and a granddad now. For all my faults I did break that cycle and got that right I feel. All my haters can lick my bung hole.

this is quite possibly one of the deepest digs of any forum I am on!!!

and yeah, I have been obsessed since 3 or 4 years old

I have lost relationships over drumming and music
I have been homeless b/c of drumming and music
I have almost been shot b/c of drumming and music
I spent most of my elementary and middle school years ostracized b/c of drumming and music
but then spent the rest of my life not being ostracized b/c of drumming and music

funny that some call it obsession, and some call it a lifestyle

I think to excel in any field (especially the arts) you have to be obsessed or maybe driven would be a better word?

But look at one of the greatest drummers, Buddy Rich. Reportedly he didn't have drums in his home or travel with practice pads. He just played the drums while performing on stage. Of course he got a full immersion musical experience in his younger years, and perhaps later in his career he was seeking some balance and peace.

What is this, some kind of trick question thread?
*looks around for Allen Funt*

Ive found that when I'm not drumming I'm always watching drum videos or researching drum related topics(which is why i love this site:] ) and during the entire day I'm usually tapping on everything its like i cant stop... but at the same time its not like i want to stop :)
I say don't.
Passion like this will have you growing in leaps & bounds and will only make you better.
Be sure you're practicing good form & practices so you don't develop bad habits.

Someone tapping drives me insane.

Admittedly, a short drive.

I wish drummers wouldn't do this in public.

Back