hands are numb after long session

drummerbuttsweat

I played two back to back 12+ hour sessions last november tracking loud fast hard rocking songs w my band. By the end of the 2nd days session my hands were buzzing inside, even when I was holding them still it felt as though I were clenching a vibrating cell phone or something...

for the next couple of weeks I noticed that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my hands completely asleep and numb or with "pins and needles"

My band took some time off over the holidays / new year... I thought with a solid month off that my hands could recover. But we started back up with a regular rehearsal schedule and I notice that my hands are feeling numb some of the time again...

anyways, I was just wondering if there were some warm up recommendations or tips to help recover from this.. and maybe tips to help avoid future damage?

I discovered the Moeller technique thru this site years back and that really saved my hands when I started touring allot...
Im self taught, so my technique isn't always great, but I tend to play with the standard American grip and or Moeller grip for the really loud stuff... maybe French grip if im doing delicate cymbal stuff...

any ways, Im sure allot of this came from pour technique and fatigue, but any recommendations or advice would be great!

Thanx for your time!

I'm having the same issue with my left hand. I started developing it after I raised my snare a bit to make rim shots easier. My numbness is on my pinky and ring finger.I did some research and found that my ulner nerve is the culprit. It runs from your spinal cord down the outside of ones hand. The numbness can actually be originating from the spine due to an out of whack lumbar. If your whole hand is numb it could be carpal tunnel. One of the contributing factors to having these issues is having your arms bent for long periods. Try to sleep with your arms as straight as possible if your issues arise more at night. Repetitive compression on the hand could also be a factor. Try not to hit so hard:). I would definitely suggest seeing a doctor for a definitive diagnosis. Untreated these thing can be a real nuisance for a drummer. Good luck, I hoped this helped.

I get that sometimes. Use lighter sticks and microphones instead of playing loudly with heavy sticks. That should help a lot. It's nothing serious, I used to get the same feeling when I rode a mountain bike without a front shock. Once I got one with a shock, the problem vanished.

Btw, you may want to talk to a doctor about your buttsweat. A good dose of baby powder may be in order.

I played two back to back 12+ hour sessions last november tracking loud fast hard rocking songs w my band. By the end of the 2nd days session my hands were buzzing inside, even when I was holding them still it felt as though I were clenching a vibrating cell phone or something...

for the next couple of weeks I noticed that I would wake up in the middle of the night with my hands completely asleep and numb or with "pins and needles"

My band took some time off over the holidays / new year... I thought with a solid month off that my hands could recover. But we started back up with a regular rehearsal schedule and I notice that my hands are feeling numb some of the time again...

anyways, I was just wondering if there were some warm up recommendations or tips to help recover from this.. and maybe tips to help avoid future damage?

I discovered the Moeller technique thru this site years back and that really saved my hands when I started touring allot...
Im self taught, so my technique isn't always great, but I tend to play with the standard American grip and or Moeller grip for the really loud stuff... maybe French grip if im doing delicate cymbal stuff...

any ways, Im sure allot of this came from pour technique and fatigue, but any recommendations or advice would be great!

Thanx for your time!

Yes, you are playing with improper technique. Your hands are absorbing the rebound of the stick. Take a look at this video, pay close attention and do what the man says. You should be good after the first week or so ;) ...all I can say is it works and is a much much faster way to good hand technique. I'm talking about the free stroke that he's demonstrating.

He plays a solo for the first 3 minutes, after that he begins with the lesson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAO0TSp594

I get that sometimes. Use lighter sticks and microphones instead of playing loudly with heavy sticks. That should help a lot. It's nothing serious, I used to get the same feeling when I rode a mountain bike without a front shock. Once I got one with a shock, the problem vanished.

This could be true. How long do your hands go numb for? Mine have been numb for a month. I remember the days we use to use our arms for shocks. You kids and your fancy technology!

Bad technique discussions aside, I sometimes suffer from numbing hands when I play. Short of accepting the fact that it could be a carpal tunnel issue, I've been working with my chiropractor on this issue and we discovered that there are a few vertebrae that are out of alignment between my upper back and base of the skull. It's improving as we work on it and it's much better than it was. As he explains it, all those nerves from your neck extend out down your arms and any kind of inflammation or misalignment can affect blood flow. It's working for me, but its funny how as I get older more things start to bug me. I'm sure we're all going through something as we get older.

Bad technique discussions aside, I sometimes suffer from numbing hands when I play. Short of accepting the fact that it could be a carpal tunnel issue, I've been working with my chiropractor on this issue and we discovered that there are a few vertebrae that are out of alignment between my upper back and base of the skull. It's improving as we work on it and it's much better than it was. As he explains it, all those nerves from your neck extend out down your arms and any kind of inflammation or misalignment can affect blood flow. It's working for me, but its funny how as I get older more things start to bug me. I'm sure we're all going through something as we get older.

Exactly what my chiropractor said. Well, that, and I have borderline ape like technique!

I have a major congenital nerve impingement issue which has been aggravated by a lifetime of use. I am going to be posting a thread soon detailing what I found and why it's NOT always your technique.

I have never been able to hold 220 plus tempos with my left hand, whatever I did and whoever I studied with (FYI, Joe Morello, Art Verdi, Mike Mangini and Tommy Igoe) it always cramped up. Everyone told me I needed to relax.

Finally this year, I has an orthopedic surgeon evaluate my arm and it seems I have what's called compartment syndrome. I am getting surgery in a month or so and I am being told that my hand will loosen and finally be "normal".

Tingling, numbness, and "pins and needles" are all signs of nerve impingement. You need to have a qualified orthopedic surgeon evaluate you. This may require some rather unpleasant nerve and/or internal arm pressure testing.

It may be your technique or it may be something else...

It's always somebody's technique that's at fault when this kind of problem is mentioned!!!
I have and have had, for some time now, carpal tunnel syndrome at varying degrees of severity in both hands, compounded by trigger finger in 2 fingers. The condition causes cramp, pins and needles, numbness and a considerable amount of pain. I can have all of these symptoms at once during a 2 hour gig from start to finish. If that isn't bad enough I also have rotator cuff impingement in my right shoulder which limits movement in everyday life not just behind the kit.
Had steroid injections in my hand and fingers with absolutely no improvement and have been told by my Orthopedic surgeon that surgery is the the only option left that will give me some relief though they are uncertain how much.
CTS and trigger finger is common with writers, even though no associated impact is attached to their profession.....Must be bad technique!!!

At 51 years old with 30 odd years of working with my hands combined with years of Rugby, marshal arts and moto-cross, it's no surprise really!

A couple of things help -
Taping my fingers while playing.
Tramadol helps with the pain and I have changed sticks from White Oak to Hickory to reduce the impact slightly.

I had the same thing happen to me a few months after my heart attack...my left hand would go numb after playing for a while. It scared the crap out of me, but after talking to my doctor, found out that it is probably a bit of carpal tunnel, or even tendonitis related.

It doesn't happen any more, or rarely does. I have torn both my rotator cuffs and also done some other damage to my shoulders playing hockey, and what Bo is talking about is definitely part of my problem as well. Everything being interconnected. My right shoulder sounds like a ratchet when I move it around due to all of the shrapnel in there

Could be worse,look at Phil Collins.
I've got a pinched nerve in my neck that forced me to quit playing for years.
My hand still twitches from time to time.
I think it came from a marching sling in my younger years.

Could be worse,look at Phil Collins.
I've got a pinched nerve in my neck that forced me to quit playing for years.
My hand still twitches from time to time.
I think it came from a marching sling in my younger years.

marching slings...pure terror!!

Long story short, I too have a nerve situation that is either in my neck or around T7 in my back. Years ago being incorrectly diagnosed with Carpletunnel, I went to PT and they were the ones that informed me of how all of this nerve stuff works and is interconnected. They correctly informed me that I did not have CT but rather nerves that were being pinched for one reason or another. I have come to realize over the years that when I start to strain while playing (either something demanding speed and power OR when I struggle to accomplish a new routine) I will lose my posture while sitting at the set and lean towards my left. Shortly thereafter, my right hand will start with the "tingles" as I call them. It sucks, but once I stop and regain my posture, the tingles go away.
(Not always possible, but I have found that a good hot tub with strong jets on the back really helps.)

Long story short, I too have a nerve situation ...

Other Nerve Numbness - Over the past few years, the tip of the middle finger on my lefthand (I am a lefty and am always using tools with a heavy 'grip' mode of use) was always tingly, like I just had slammed it in a car door and it was coming 'back to life' after the initial trauma was over; felt like a million needles were all sticking in the pad and tip of that one finger only.

Relief - I read this on an archery forum, as I also shoot the bow & arrow. Take the offending finger, trap it against your thumb as if you were winding up to 'Flick' something away with force. Hold the pressure, hold, hold. Again, start easy and build up. Repitition is key! Driving on the highway? Do this stretch/exercise. Sitting watching TV? Do this stretch/exercise. Playing in a long session and you're feeling it ... do this stretch/exercise! In my case it has lessened BOTH the intensity of the numbness (now down to 10-20% of what it used to be!) and occurrence (as somedays I don't even notice it at all). Try it!

More attached on Carpal Tunnel ... but the system would NOT let me add it as words', huh?

Caveat - Now with all that said ... no, I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night and I do not hold a medical Doctorate degree ... so you should consult medical authorities as maybe required for YOUR case.

Attachments

• C-T.jpg
    C-T.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I’ve had bouts of RSI in both hands since returning to drumming after a long hiatus. The short of it is, depending on your age and general conditioning you stand a good chance of hand issues being something you learn to live with or you find yourself unable to play at all.

One facet that's not often discussed is how other physical activities, notably mousing, texting and swiping a screen, are repetitive. Ergonomics with these things is important. It's literally a game of millimeters. Another concern is working with your hands, once you've had a relatively serious RSI from drumming, makes them more susceptible to strain from those other activities.

Hopefully this will help; it's what Ive learned from dealing with the issue over the years, and into my 6th decade.

The goal is always to prevent it from reaching critical mass, which I define as having to put the sticks down for extended periods of time rather than a few days to a week or so.

So, If you feel tingling, numbness, soreness, stiffness, any ‘ness’ whatsoever, back off and do something else on the drums to keep your attitude positive. This is a great opportunity to work your feet and-or independence if your other hand is OK. Or reading. Use your feet to read. View it that way - opportunity to concentrate intently on your feet. It’s easy if you have a double pedal.

This is important because it works towards improvement, and that helps prevent developing negative feelings. You get to that point (negativity) you could wind up doing something stupid, like ignoring the issue and hitting hard anyway, or thinking you're good to do when you're not. Staying vigilant and positive is important if and when this issue becomes chronic.

You don’t want to baby the afflicted hand or limb, but you don’t want to go back to what got you here either either. Learn to lower your average playing volume and keep it there. It sounds easy but it’s not. I managed to play simple things very softly when I couldn’t turn a door knob or brush my teeth without discomfort, and I don't think it set me back one iota. In fact, I felt like it helped to keep at it as long as it didn't hurt. The moment you feel tingling or numbness you stop. No ifs or ands. It's frustrating but it beats not playing at all.

Technique wise, learn to minimize arm and stick movement on and between drums - economize your movements. Play smart, not harder. For example, on those roundhouse rolls don’t go at with your arms; rather, concentrate on efficiently getting your hands in position above each drum and performing the strokes with lower height and precision.

Develop a very soft grip. This is probably the most difficult aspect for rock players. You need to create a cradle for the stick that acts as a shock absorber. You’ll drop a lot of sticks in the process, you might even hit yourself in the eye (I did), but your hands will thank your for the effort and you’ll likely keep playing the drums.

Mentally, realize this is going to change how you play but frame it as goal-oriented endeavor that will ultimately improve your playing from the ground up.

Lastly, take up another instrument that doesn’t involve, or only slightly involves, the injury. Guitar is what most guys get into. Take the same relaxed approach you’re using to deal with your injury as you learn the new instrument. If nothing else, though it usually helps drumming musicality to play something else, whatever instrument you get into is an insurance policy if you do have to stop playing the drums for long periods.

Good luck.

mic drop.....

Back