What is this?

GerJiménez

Hi there, I've been following the forum for a time, and now decided to start posting!..
I decided to begin learning something about drum theory, I understand the basics about time signature, notation, and other concepts, but I've got trouble knowing what's happening on a song!.. So i decided to claim for help!, I have not a drum teacher cause I'm right now studying an engineering, you know. Ain't nobody got time for that!, but still, I love drums.

So here it is!.. Right in the minute 3:06. I know it may be the simplest thing in the world. But I'm really new into understanding this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QhhnUCEKVA

I appreciate your help, community!

I am new too but that sounds like a half time shuffle. He went from straight eighths on the hats to playing a shuffle at half the speed.

Someone make sure I am right please.

Oh i see it's 4/4, i've found trouble playing it with the band cause it sounds too empty or robotic, i've tried to keep the quarter time on hihat and it's very difficult!.. You know what i mean? That shaker makes the whole thing groovy!.. Oh and thanks by the way!

Oh i see it's 4/4, i've found trouble playing it with the band cause it sounds too empty or robotic, i've tried to keep the quarter time on hihat and it's very difficult!.. You know what i mean? That shaker makes the whole thing groovy!.. Oh and thanks by the way!

Like I said, try to count it as follow (3 stands for 3/4, 2 stands for 2/4)

- (end of double-time swing part) and then:
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
- then two bars of 4/4 (saxophone alone)
- back to 4/4 groove.

Heeey many thanks Alain! Certainly it's much easier counting like that! That's what i love about theory!.. Maybe i'll post later the results of your help, community! (video) hehe

I'm just hearing a 4/4 with the second snare hit on the "and" of four. It's really not that complex if you count along.

EDIT: disregard. I was listening to the wrong part of the song. Apologies.

Last edited:
It's not that I like this music so much, but I took a few minutes to make a rough drum chart, just because I enjoy tricky rhythms. So here it is.
Ii's in 4/4, although I still hear 3+3+2 inside of 4/4.

Have fun!

Omg you went too far, thank you! I appreciate it, a lot. This puts everything clearer.
How did you do the drum chart?
I mostly like jazz, latin jazz, I guess this song is Fusion, and it's oooold
what music do you like, then?

Back