What is this?

GerJiménez

Hi there, I've been following the forum for a time, and now decided to start posting!..
I decided to begin learning something about drum theory, I understand the basics about time signature, notation, and other concepts, but I've got trouble knowing what's happening on a song!.. So i decided to claim for help!, I have not a drum teacher cause I'm right now studying an engineering, you know. Ain't nobody got time for that!, but still, I love drums.

So here it is!.. Right in the minute 3:06. I know it may be the simplest thing in the world. But I'm really new into understanding this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QhhnUCEKVA

I appreciate your help, community!

Toolate

Platinum Member
I am new too but that sounds like a half time shuffle. He went from straight eighths on the hats to playing a shuffle at half the speed.

Someone make sure I am right please.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
A little tricky and challenging.

It's not half time shuffle,

it can be counted in 4/4, but try to count it as :

two bars of 3/4 and one bar of 2/4, then repeat.

Drumometer

If you wanna play this rythm you have to feel it and just play the 2nd snare in time. Drumming is much about feeling. If you don't feel the drums, the cymbals, the groove and these things you can not play drums. And this drum fill is a real feeling-thing, I think.

GerJiménez

Oh i see it's 4/4, i've found trouble playing it with the band cause it sounds too empty or robotic, i've tried to keep the quarter time on hihat and it's very difficult!.. You know what i mean? That shaker makes the whole thing groovy!.. Oh and thanks by the way!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Oh i see it's 4/4, i've found trouble playing it with the band cause it sounds too empty or robotic, i've tried to keep the quarter time on hihat and it's very difficult!.. You know what i mean? That shaker makes the whole thing groovy!.. Oh and thanks by the way!
Like I said, try to count it as follow (3 stands for 3/4, 2 stands for 2/4)

- (end of double-time swing part) and then:
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
3, 3, 2
- then two bars of 4/4 (saxophone alone)
- back to 4/4 groove.

GerJiménez

Heeey many thanks Alain! Certainly it's much easier counting like that! That's what i love about theory!.. Maybe i'll post later the results of your help, community! (video) hehe

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I'm just hearing a 4/4 with the second snare hit on the "and" of four. It's really not that complex if you count along.

EDIT: disregard. I was listening to the wrong part of the song. Apologies.

Last edited:

GerJiménez

It's not that I like this music so much, but I took a few minutes to make a rough drum chart, just because I enjoy tricky rhythms. So here it is.
Ii's in 4/4, although I still hear 3+3+2 inside of 4/4.

Have fun!
Omg you went too far, thank you! I appreciate it, a lot. This puts everything clearer.
How did you do the drum chart?
I mostly like jazz, latin jazz, I guess this song is Fusion, and it's oooold
what music do you like, then?

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
No problem, I did it for the fun of it, but I barely listened to the whole song.
I enjoy many styles in fact.
I use Sibelius to write music.
Cheers
Alain