drumming gloves

Wow!
It appears there's not much middle ground on the gloves issue; they're either loved or hated.
To each his own, I guess, but it makes sense to me that if you're practicing long and hard enough to get blisters maybe you should take a break. Or practice with gloves!

I'm surprised to hear that so many gloves are wearing out so quickly. I got my golf gloves back in November, and just this past week wore a hole in one of them. Granted, I only play a few times a week, but that includes a 2-3 hour rehearsal and 3 high-energy services on Sunday. (This is not your father's praise band!)
Since I didn't have time to pick up a new glove I put a band-aid on my finger so I wouldn't get - you guessed it - A Blister!

Uh-oh! Since I took preemptive steps to avoid a blister, does that mean I'm no longer a 'real' drummer??
Just playin' around, folks! Don't cuss me out too bad!

Find what works for you, and make it work the best it can. The important thing is to KEEP DRUMMING!

A friend of mine recommended football gloves for wide recievers which makes sense. I was also thinking golf gloves but definatly not drummer gloves, you could probibly get alot more grip from something else.

I wore Mechanix Wear utility gloves after some trial and error with other gloves (curling, baseball, golf, drumming). I liked them and was comfortable in them. But then I found I had to wrap the sticks in hockey stick tape so I could keep a grip on my sticks.

When we went from playing as a 4 piece to a three, I was working on my grip and was finding I was gripping softer and didn't feel I needed the gloves or tape. When I tried without the gloves I found I had way more feeI... No gloves was the right choice! (sorta)

I got the odd small blister if I was not watching what I was doing. Nothing I could not handle... That was until Sunday. An old band mate came out for a visit and we jammed as a 4 piece. The volume level went up just due to the second amp/cab and well, my volume followed suit. With my increase in volume I went right back to my old habits, and got blisters in the same old spots. I am going to have to go for some lessons.

Its my thought that gloves and blisters have as much place in drumming as knitting and hot dogs do. If you got blisters on your feet from a crappy pair of shoes, would you keep the shoes and wear band aids on your heals? Not this guy!

But if you are still in for the gloves thing, head down to an auto parts store or hardware store and try a pair of these gloves on. I have big paws and the XL ones fit great...

Joe

H8_15_BK.jpg

Thanx for the tip! I'm going this weekend to scope out some batting gloves, and I'll definitely take a gander at the Mechanix.

Well, I have Ahead gloves and they are falling apart, I noticed a whole in them the other night at practice. AND, I don't even wear them much when I practice alone? I have just worn them to band practice and gigs. I also don't like the fact that the velcro tears up the top of the gloves when not in use too. I do like the exra support on the wrists.
I recently got some batting gloves at Walmart but have yet to use them in a gig..I think I'll try them next practice and may use them for our gig next friday. It's supposed to be outdoors (unless rain) and I know my hands will be very sweaty! I can play either way, bur when I first came back to drumming I had lots of problems dropping sticks, so that's when I started using gloves. now, I use them some, sometimes not, whatever.

Unless you are on tour playing 5 or more shows a week there is no need for gloves. Learn better technique as the others have mentioned. Then practice till they bleed.

Unless you are on tour playing 5 or more shows a week there is no need for gloves. Learn better technique as the others have mentioned. Then practice till they bleed.

This is the attitude I don't get, why do gloves automatically mean I have bad technique? Can't I both have good technique and prefer to play with gloves? Your post simply makes no sense at all, and frankly, it's a little insulting. I suppose if you happened to see my band play, you'd automatically think I was a bad drummer? Prejudiced much?

As for "practicing until they bleed"... Well, given the choice between bleeding and not bleeding, I prefer not bleeding.

Just don't tell anyone that they look "gay" and only belong in "butt rock". ;)

No need to bring that into this thread as well

edit: I just realised how ancient this thread is.

If you have good technique then please post a video to share. If you want to were gloves when you drum thats your choice. I truly don't think that there is a glove out there that will give you the feeling of a well worn hand of a drummers.

This is the attitude I don't get, why do gloves automatically mean I have bad technique? Can't I both have good technique and prefer to play with gloves? Your post simply makes no sense at all, and frankly, it's a little insulting. I suppose if you happened to see my band play, you'd automatically think I was a bad drummer? Prejudiced much?

As for "practicing until they bleed"... Well, given the choice between bleeding and not bleeding, I prefer not bleeding.

No need to bring that into this thread as well

edit: I just realised how ancient this thread is.

Re: gloves

i've noticed some drummers use fingerless gloves while they are playing, and i'm wondering where to get some gloves like that and how much do the cost? My hands have been getting blisters latley and they hurt! So I want a pair of gloves to help stop getting blisters. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

bike shop
bike shop
bike shop

like performance bikes

well an update: I tried my batting gloves tonight at rehearsal and they were okay but maybe a little thick? They were pretty comfortable but seemed a little more restrictive than the ahead ones. It's like the don't hardly breathe at all. They do seem like they will hold up very well though. The Ahead gloves are thinner and more comfortable but they are starting to rip on the thumb seam. I haven't been wearing gloves at all when I practice but I think at certain shows when I get sweaty they do help some. It's not that big of a difference but I guess a personal decision. I will be playing outside tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll wear or not? May for the 1st set to see how it goes. I've been drumming for 29 years and have only just tried gloves this past year. I had to quit drums for a while so my technique/grip, well everything had to get back into shape. I do think the gloves helped during that period but I wouldn't say I have to wear them now and after I get my strength and touch back to where it was I may not wear them at all?

This may sound very traditional, but actually just use my bare hands.... :-D

ive been using mechanics gloves 4 a while when my hands cant take the blisters anymore...they work great and last a long time. even after 25 years of playin...ya STILL git a painfull blister or two!!! just bust it or cut it off and wear gloves till it heals!! \m/ ROCK ON!! \m/

I used to tape my figures, kinda like Lars. Once I learned to loosen up my grip I didn't need the tape anymore. I little moisture gives me some grip when needed.

Hey guys..new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using batting gloves instead of various brands of drummers gloves? I have had a pair of Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves and they both fell apart in a couple of weeks. Just curious.....

Go to a golf pro shop or something like SportsAuthority and get golf gloves they will have lefts and rights, you can always get them cheaper that the drumming gloves, and they last a long time. Never dropped a stick yet after wearing gloves for the last year.

I have some seriously sweaty mitts...I use gymnasts chalk...dries out my hands and makes the sticks tacky, so I dont drop em....the stuff is dirt cheap to boot.

F

I can make a quick and cheap suggestion to those that drop their sticks often. Buy 19mm (3/4" dia.) heat shrink tubing and apply/shrink it to your sticks. 19mm tubing shrinks down to 3/8" diameter so it fits all the popular sizes. The benefits are two fold, it absorbs shock and provides a nice grippy surface. Plus you can cut it to whatever length you want. One tip however, heat it starting from the butt end first. Most importantly, for what you'll pay for one pair of drumming gloves, you could probably apply the tubing to dozens of sticks!

Edit: there's different material heat shrink. The type I used was polyolefin and it's typically black, but also can be red or green.

Last edited:
mjglove.jpg

I only use the one, my left hand feels better bare.

I bought a pair of some lambskin fingerless gloves when i first started drumming because of the callusing i'm sure we've all experienced, i liked em at first but then when i got better and my hands toughened up from callusing i realized that they just kind of restricted my movement, i don't know if all gloves are like this, but maybe invest in some gorrila snot or something

Back