drumming gloves

The Incarnate

Hey guys..new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using batting gloves instead of various brands of drummers gloves? I have had a pair of Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves and they both fell apart in a couple of weeks. Just curious.....

I use Nike batting gloves. I have went thru several pair of the Aheads. As you have said, they fall apart. The batting gloves hold up much better and IMO they hold up better too. The best part is they only cost 15 or $20. The Ahead gloves are almost $40 where I shop.

gloves

i've noticed some drummers use fingerless gloves while they are playing, and i'm wondering where to get some gloves like that and how much do the cost? My hands have been getting blisters latley and they hurt! So I want a pair of gloves to help stop getting blisters. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

Re: gloves

Well, I think first you should look at your technique, including how tightly you are gripping the sticks, how much they move around in your hands, and how hard you are playing. I know that one day I was playing with a pep band on a bass drum, just walking around campus. I completely ignored any technique, and by the end of an hour, both of my hands had blisters, and they had both broken open.

I'd take a look at your technique first. A mojority of problems can be solved this way.

Ahead grip tape is the only thing I'll ever need. I swear by it. Gloves (in my opinion) are dorky.

I didnt need gloves until i joined my band where every song is 90mph metal. That will make anyone blister, trust me. Coaches' tape on your sticks helps me quite a bit and is cheaper than any drum-specific grip tape, and imo is better overall.

Has anyone tried using Mechanix brand gloves?

I have some tape from work that is like an Ace bandage but has adhesive on the back. Just one wrap around and success, no more dropped sticks, and no more death grip causing blisters. If you are dead set on gloves try cheap golfing gloves.

I hear that they make them in a nice shade of pink.

Seriously, if you need gloves then there's something wrong. It always comes back to a technique thing. It has nothing to do with how hard you hit or how fast you play.

I hear that they make them in a nice shade of pink.

Seriously, if you need gloves then there's something wrong. It always comes back to a technique thing. It has nothing to do with how hard you hit or how fast you play.

I'm with you , my drum teacher told me a long time ago, if your getting blisters your holding too tight. He was right. You don't need gloves.

I don't mean to insult anyone, so please don't take this to heart, but to me, gloves are the wussy way out. The blisters are all part of drumming. As everyone of my drum teachers has said in the past: if you haven't been playing enough to have caluses, then you need to practice more.

I don't mean to insult anyone, so please don't take this to heart, but to me, gloves are the wussy way out. The blisters are all part of drumming. As everyone of my drum teachers has said in the past: if you haven't been playing enough to have caluses, then you need to practice more.

I dont really get blisters, but BP, check out my signature.

The Incarnate, http://www.elevation-music.com/sthasoshskdr.html check that out. I was actually thinking about getting them because i drop my sticks alot.

I always thought glvoes were wimpy, too, and I have some major calouses that I've had for almost 20 years. Recently though, I have been having problems with my hands drying up and cracking and bleeding all the time as I live in a very dry climate. Also using bigger sticks than I used to and playing every day have contributed some pretty gnarly blisters. I also tend to get a different set of blisters when I practice at home on my practice pad set up than I do playing on my kit. This seems to have to do with where I'm striking - one surface vs. the whole kit.

So, I picked up a pair of the Zildjian gloves and they do the trick quite nicely. I don't play with them every time, though, and I don't imagine I will. But I think that if you're having a hard time with your hands, it's definitely worthwhile to wear them until the problems clear up.

I do agree with the guys that say you should have calouses - if you don't, you're not playing right/enough.

A lot of drummers struggle with dropping sticks due to sweaty hands. My problem has always been the opposite; I have very dry skin. A couple of years ago I discovered coated drumsticks (Zildjian, Vic Firth, Pro Mark) and my problem was solved - almost.
Although my grip was improved, I was still getting sore spots and blisters. Unlike some of the more "macho" drummers out there, I prefer to avoid pain and discomfort so I can focus on playing.
One night at rehearsal I tried playing with a pair of neoprene handbell gloves, which worked okay, but they wore out quickly. Then our bass player, an avid golfer, brought me a pair of Ping golf gloves, and that was it! I now play with more confidence than ever because I don't have to worry about dropping sticks anymore.
To all of you decrying gloves as 'dorky' and 'wussy' I say this: Grow Up! The goal of drumming is to make music, not establish your manhood. If a drummer, such as myself, finds a solution that allows them to play more comfortably, then more power to them!
I recommend golf gloves in cabretta leather - they are lightweight, comfortable and fairly durable.
As for wrapping your sticks, don't waste your money on "drum tape" from drum makers. I use regular old electrical tape - it's the same stuff, anyway! It comes in lots of colors (including clear) and is a lot cheaper.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wear gloves for any reason while drumming. Not trying to bash anyone, I just think it looks goofy. I had to wear gloves with my marching uniform back when I did drumline and i absolutely hated it. I don't like the lack of feel from the sticks making contact and even though the had grip on them, I actually felt like I was gonna send the stick flying on every upstroke. IMO gloves are bad for playing and for looks...but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

I use Vater gloves, which are very nice. They're very tight-fitting, so I lose very little stick feel, but they give me lots more grip on sweaty gigs, and keep my hands mostly blister-free (not completely, since they're so thin and tight). Been using the same pair for 3-4 months now, and they hold up well.

So if I don't have callouses, I can't be a good drummer? Give me one reason why blisters have anything to do with drumming, and I might take you seriously. As it stands, you just provided your opinion with no reasoning to back it up.

Last edited:
Hey guys..new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using batting gloves instead of various brands of drummers gloves? I have had a pair of Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves and they both fell apart in a couple of weeks. Just curious.....

I have never heard of that nor have I heard of anyone wearing out their gloves in a couple of weeks maybe you should check your technique. What grip do you play with? A lot of drummers that play traditional wear gloves and also to protect your hands from blisters.

I use Vater gloves, which are very nice. They're very tight-fitting, so I lose very little stick feel, but they give me lots more grip on sweaty gigs, and keep my hands mostly blister-free (not completely, since they're so thin and tight). Been using the same pair for 3-4 months now, and they hold up well.

Give me one reason why blisters have anything to do with drumming, and I might take you seriously. As it stands, you just provided your opinion with no reasoning to back it up.

well, when you play long enough and PRACTICE you get blisters. A good , long practice will give you blisters definetly so I would say they are a definite negative but prooful part of drum practice!!!!Plus, if you hold your sticks to tight you get blisters so either way you will at least one time get blisters one way or the other!!

Back