Gavin Harrison here!

Hi NickPavlou_GR

Also one great thing I heard is the illusion you use at the end of "Time Flies". Sounds simple but I think I miss something over here! Maybe Terry could do a transcription ?

It's unbelievably simple (6/8) - the snare is just played on beats 2 & 5 (instead of just beat 3 as it is in the verse). Glad you like it.

Hi Drum-R

I Gavin, I recently saw a new picture of your kit. What is this huge china at your left you use for the tour?

Zildjian 22" Swish Knocker (without the rivets).

Hi Joe P

Speaking of your upcoming educational release, Gavin: will there be conceptual material on this new DVD similar to your previous ones, or will it just be like a case study on your work with 05ric?

Thanks for all the interest about this project. There will be full detailed transcriptions of the 19 songs from both of the albums I made with 05Ric "Drop" & "Circles" plus a 2 hour 45 minutes DVD of me demonstrating the parts in detail - discussing the concepts and where the creative ideas came from - plus a whole load of other discussions about the equipment/tuning/favourite rudiments etc. Plus a special live bonus performance.

Hi Drummin_Dan

Hi, I know that this question has probably been asked and answered a hundred times, but can any one tell me what this song is called? Are there charts available for it?

It's called "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle - I originally recorded it for my first DVD Rhythmic Visions. There are no charts for it as such - but somewhere there's a transcription of that YouTube performance (Frankfurt Music Show 2007).

Hi Roger//

How do you tension the drums?
Toms / Snare/ Bass
And I mean. Is for example your snare bottom tighter than the top? ect ect

Usually the bottom heads are a little tighter than the tops.

Do you get an endorsment from Axis or do you pay for your pedals?

I am an Axis endorser - but I bought two pairs of them a few years before becoming an endorser.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey everybody,

I figured that there would be a few questions about Gavin's groove on "Bonnie the Cat".

Here's a quick little transcription:

Terry

Terry,

I'm now addicted to this groove. Great transcription, although to be honest, I've never read drum transcriptions before, but I was able to figure out what was written and what was being played. Only after listening to the song about 100 times last night. Thanks for the educational experience.

Hi Drummin_Dan

Hi, I know that this question has probably been asked and answered a hundred times, but can any one tell me what this song is called? Are there charts available for it?

It's called "Quite Firm" by Laurence Cottle - I originally recorded it for my first DVD Rhythmic Visions. There are no charts for it as such - but somewhere there's a transcription of that YouTube performance (Frankfurt Music Show 2007).

Thanks. I actually took a look at his website and he has two CDs available for free download currently.

Hello Gavin!

First off I'd like to thank you sincerely for being one of the biggest inspirations for me in my musical journey!!

anywho, the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

thanx for taking the time on your busy tour schedule to read this!

-Jonathan

Hello Gavin!

the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

-Jonathan

Just scroll up to post #3610 and you'll see for yourself

Hi Gavin,

I'm hearing The Incident every morning on my way to work and I love it! One question about Time Flies and "counting" in general.
Wwhat determines the time signature in a song? Especially with illusions and rythmic manipulations (like overrides etc.), this seems more vague for me.

I can count (or feel) Time Flies as 4/4, 6/8 or 3/4. But which of the three is "correct"? The illusion you already described (having the snare on the 2 and 5 instead of 3 and 5) counts in 6/8. But I think that the illusion creates a sense of 4/4 and that the song can be transcribed in 4/4 (though with a different tempo).

Hi Roger//

But at the Modern Drummer Festival you use a Coated PS3 right?
What do you find is the difference between coated en clear PS3's?

I use the clear Powerstroke 3. They have a more eq'd sound to them - they have a little less middle frequency.

cheers
Gavin

This must make you laugh...
When i Saw the video, the white i saw was the pillow;)
Sorry Gavin. Guess I need to look a little closer next time;)

cheers

Roger//

Hi Liquid_Drummer

This is the oldest footage of Gavin I have ever seen. Gavin, you look like your about 18 here !

Yes I was 19 there. That was my first tour of the States. Big old Gretsch kit.

Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

It all in 4/4 - it's interesting that when you deviate the bass drum and snare from their 'usual' place that folks start to perceive it as something else. That what Rhythmic Illusions are all about.

Hi SantiBanks

What determines the time signature in a song?
I can count (or feel) Time Flies as 4/4, 6/8 or 3/4. But which of the three is "correct"? The illusion you already described (having the snare on the 2 and 5 instead of 3 and 5) counts in 6/8. But I think that the illusion creates a sense of 4/4 and that the song can be transcribed in 4/4 (though with a different tempo).

They are all correct . You can it or feel it any way you want. I think of the song in 6/8. That's what Rhythmic Perspectives are all about.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

congrats on the new album, I can't stop listening to it, there's some new idea or fill that i pick up from it every time!

What are the chances of PT coming to Australia, particularly, Perth? I was devastated when I couldn't go last time you were here.

If you do, feel free to come round for a jam! :p

Thanks
Cowieee

Hi Liquid_Drummer

This is the oldest footage of Gavin I have ever seen. Gavin, you look like your about 18 here !

Yes I was 19 there. That was my first tour of the States. Big old Gretsch kit.

I think it requires a lot of talent to play music like this with a band, on stage, at this age. Amazing…

Hi SantiBanks

What determines the time signature in a song?

They are all correct . You can it or feel it any way you want. I think of the song in 6/8. That's what Rhythmic Perspectives are all about.

cheers
Gavin
Thanks for the insight!
Btw, I got the 2 live bonustracks from 7digital and I enjoyed them very much. I really love the ends of both songs (though I recall the first night having a much longer illusion in way out of here). Looking forward to the dvd!

See you in a couple of weeks :)

Hey, Gavin!

My family, girlfriend and I went to the Chicago show on Tuesday and it was absolutely amazing. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to catch you after the show. There's a little spot on the upper left part of my Incident deluxe edition that should have your name on it ;)

Guess I have an excuse to go to a show or two on the next U.S. leg (as if I needed one). Hope I get to meet you next time!

Schism

Gavin,

I was on the "ask gavin harrison" site the other day. One user posted a comment asking your opinion on Tool. You said they are a great band (can't argue with that), also, you said your favorite song of Lateralus was Schism. After google-ing Schism I have read many forums in which they say that the song goes through about 20 or so time signature changes.

I can play along with Schism, note for note on the drums, but I don't really sense or hear the time signature changes. Mainly, it sounds like 5/4 or 10/4 to me. What do you think of it? Is it a song you've played along to on your set?

Speaking of drumsets, you both use Sonor kits, have you ever incorporated electronic trigger pads into your set? Or do you prefer purely acoustic kits?

Thanks

Awesome show in Philly tonight Gavin! I was front left, about 5 people from the front. Gray shirt, black zip-up hoodie. 100% seeing PT next time they come around. I feel like getting on my kit right now and its almost 1am. Thanks for the music and inspiration!

Oh, I almost forgot! Did you add a new china to your setup? Looked like you had another, maybe 20 or 22 inch to the left of you. Nice magic trick during Trains as well!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I have a question: my set is: 10 - 12 - 14 - 16, and i have problems of tunes, because of course you know, the interval from 12 to 14 sometimes is too much little and from 12 to 16 sometimes is too much big! Also, sometimes i like to have the 14's tom on the left of set. You have the same sizes, but i remember when you had a 15's tom in the Pearl set. How i can resolve this problem? Do you tune your 16's tom like a 15?
Also, i'm very exiting for your coming DVD, i have all your works, but i would have the italian subtitles.....! Whatever, i expect this DVD with anxiety! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey Gavin,

It was great to meet you in Baltimore, thank you for taking the time to sign stuff and take pictures with us fans...it really means a lot!

I had a question, I noticed you were using Vic Firth's sticks with a red lower half. I checked online and it appears that they are these: http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanclassic_vicgrip.html

I was curious as to how well they work? I have used several grips and some work better than others, but I would to try something new and it seems pretty cool that the grips are 'built in' to these new sticks.....how do these new Vic Firths hold up?

And that magic trick was very cool!

Thanks again Gavin!

Back