Gavin Harrison here!

JordanC

Hi Gavin, I just wanted to think you and the rest of the band for a truly excellent performance last night in Seattle. Even from way up in the second balcony, the sound was fantastic, and the performances were recognizably top notch.

I especially loved your fills during the end of Time Flies.

Bummed that:

1) Seating was fixed, so it seemed to suck the energy out of the crowd for the most part. Can you guys recognize things like that? I hope we didn't seem too lame for you :)
2) You only had time for a Mother and Child Divided encore and half of Russia on Ice - the second half of RoI is my favorite portion of the song! Darned 11PM cut-off laws or somesuch!

Loving The Incident as well, can't wait to see you guys perform again some time. Wishing you luck for the rest of your tour!

Hi Drumbumhanza

Take a look on the pic below. The stand is made with the Sonor Hardware system, they're very versatile and strong components, you can see pics with endless examples here.

http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/sonor/english/kategorie.html?a-quicklink-n_katid=7

I know it´s gratifiying when we do things with our hands, but this stand looks really great. Hope that may help you.

Good luck!
Hey Thanks a lot for that picture :)
It gives you a great view of the setup...its simpler and a lot less messier than i thought.

I recently got endorsed by Mapex...hehe i think they might have a problem with me using sonor hardware :p
http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/india/bio_kazi.html

I guess il give this a shot....if it fails miserably...il go in for the clamp concept hehe

Thanks again.

Yes there's a 3/16 note displacement near the end of the 2nd bar of the chorus. The verse is 8 bars of 7/8 and then one bar of 4/4.
Thanks for the info :)
Haha im so accustomed to playing odd time now that 4/4 seemed difficult to count :p

Recently i've been trying this polyrhythmic exercise

Left hand 3/16 (x--x--x--x--x--x-- x : hit, - : rest) over the hi-hat and snare
Right hand 7/16 (xxx-xx-xxx-xx-xxx-xx-xxx-xx-) on the right hand with each set of hits on a different tom
Feet playing a standard samba pattern or any other simple pattern

Its got a very different feel from a polyrhythm of 4/16 and 7/16 because when you play a 4...you tend to count the 7 in groupings of 2....but when your playing a 3/16 it gets a bit tricky

do you have some other lessons like this (besides the ones on your dvd) that i could practice to improve my independence ?

Thanks

miha

Gavin, congrats on a superb PT album, I wish you (and guys) a successfull tour.

Anyone knows the exact set list for Incident live? Cheers

semaphore

I'm not sure if its the right answer but I think that its like this:

The gate lets signals flow when there are certain conditions met. Thats the basic summary of what it does. This means that if we tell the gate to open when the volume is below a certain treshold, the gate can open and let sound trough. When it is above, then shut the gate.

Now the ducking part. I think the gate is fed with the signal of the top mic too, but only for triggering functions. So when the signal of the top head is above a certain volume (a hard hit), then the gate will be closed and the bag of crisps imitation sound won't be passed trough the gate.

I have an old microgate from alesis in my rack. I think it's capable of doing that in the way I described. Feeding the trigger input wih the sound of the top mic and make sure it closes when the stick hits the top head hard.
Thank you for your detailed answer, SantiBanks! I get the idea now - I just lacked proper definition of what a gate does. Never thought to use it the other way round (i.e. closing instead of opening beyond a certain threshold).

Thanks again,
semaphore

dr.funkenstien

First off, The Incident blew me away the other day, Amazing job, big props to Steven Wilson also, and everyone, you guys just killed it. Incredible.

What I wanted ot ask was, how many of the fills do you ever plan or write first. Or are most or all just on the spot, in the groove?

Good Luck with the tour, I tried buying tickets for Toronto Months ago but it was sold out right away, I might drive 8 hours to Toronto and try and get scalpers still haha.

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

Bube

Hi Gavin!

I'm searching the internet but I cat't find it..

What snare are you playing on Modern Drummer 2008 video? And which heads and snare wires are on it?

Thanks!

colinjnk

Hi Gavin,

Thanks so much for coming out to the drum shop this evening, it was a pleasure meeting you and I had a fantastic time (even though I was a bit shy).

Hope to see you in concert some day!

-Colin

cgrieves

Hi Gavin, I was delighted to see Thomas Dolby's 'Aliens Ate my Buick' on your playlist. That's definitely a Desert Island disc for me!

Also The Incident flopped onto my desk today (at last, no thanks to the British postal system!). I'm really enjoying it, it's everything I'd hoped for in a follow-up to FOABP.

The rhythmic work in Bonnie the Cat is clever- it's amazing what shifting the perception of "1" can do to the listener. I'm going to play it to various friends and see what their feet do....

If you haven't got it already, I'd recommend "Serious Young Insects" by "On the Virg" if you can find a copy- the track "Alien Hip Hop" is another example of a mind-bending 4/4! And there's some really interesting use of polyrhythmical ideas across the whole album.

All the best, and hope the tour goes well.

Gavin, you have shown me that you can take the Moeller, one handed drum rolls, 220bpm on the double bass (never a personal goal), juggling Phone books while you play a double bass drum solo crap and throw it all in the can !!

Musicality IS the most important aspect of every instrument. I really think that you have taken it too a new level IMHO and if given the right circumstances will go down in history as one of the best ever. Your drumming is E=MC² with soul and feel !

Hope you dont mind the compliments. However, the fact remains that watching your DVD's, your playing and spending more time thinking about approaches to playing than practicing speed and double stroke rolls over the last 2-3 year has provided me with more growth in a shorter amount of time than any other course of action I have taken to improve my drumming. I have been at it for 27 years now I have been stuck in a rut for so long. I felt myself come out of that rut in the last 6 months or so when new, inventive things just started coming out without tons of thought or effort.

Thank you.

Hi Gavin!

I'm searching the internet but I cat't find it..

What snare are you playing on Modern Drummer 2008 video? And which heads and snare wires are on it?

Thanks!
If i remember well that snare is gavin's lovely sonor designer maple 12"x5";
He uses a puresound snare wire with 8 strands, he take a 12 strands snare wire and cut 2 snare wires at left and 2 at right.
The batter head can be a coated CS or an ambassador.

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Swiss Matthias,

Amazing, how low you sit, Gavin!

Yes I do sit pretty low - it looks exaggerated in that picture.

Hi JordanC

1) Seating was fixed, so it seemed to suck the energy out of the crowd for the most part. Can you guys recognize things like that?

Yes it's not so much fun to play for a seated audience.

2) You only had time for a Mother and Child Divided encore and half of Russia on Ice - the second half of RoI is my favorite portion of the song! Darned 11PM cut-off laws or somesuch!

I think this is longest show we've ever done - and sometimes we run into curfew problems.

Hi drumbumhamza

Recently i've been trying this polyrhythmic exercise
Left hand 3/16 (x--x--x--x--x--x-- x : hit, - : rest) over the hi-hat and snare
Right hand 7/16 (xxx-xx-xxx-xx-xxx-xx-xxx-xx-) on the right hand with each set of hits on a different tom. Feet playing a standard samba pattern or any other simple pattern
do you have some other lessons like this (besides the ones on your dvd) that i could practice to improve my independence ?

Yes interesting pattern. Do you have my book Rhythmic Perspectives? I think there's some exercises like that in there.

Hi dr.funkenstien

What I wanted ot ask was, how many of the fills do you ever plan or write first. Or are most or all just on the spot, in the groove?

I try to make them up on the spot - if I really like them I might play them live - or until I can get inspired to try different ones.

Hi Bube

Italian Ricky is correct.

Hi cgrieves

The rhythmic work in Bonnie the Cat is clever- it's amazing what shifting the perception of "1" can do to the listener. I'm going to play it to various friends and see what their feet do....

Yeah it's a fun rhythm. Terry Branam has already made a nice transcription of that groove (all in 4/4 of course) - maybe he'll post it here?

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
thanks for the kind words.

Cheers
Gavin (in San Fran).

DrummerStan

Ordered my ticket today, so its official. Im seeing PT next Saturday. Can't wait to see you there! Ill be the young looking kid upfront with the grey baseball-looking cap on, if I can make my way to the front.

I've started to learn the Mother and Child divided drum pattern down. Ive got the framework down, just the HH w/ accents, bass, and off-beat snare hit. No ghost notes for now, but Ill work them in soon enough.

Really surprised you guys are not playing Cinci, Ohio this time around. Last show there appeared to be sold out or very close. Loved the venue (Bogarts) because the sound was so very good in that room. Hope you guys play a little closer to home next tour. Also hope to see the new disc 5.1 released as a stand alone. Steve W. knows how to mix in surround like no one else and now I am spoiled on 5.1 mixes.

Damn, your drums sound amazing on the new record and the new direction is welcome. Kind of risky to have a 55 minute tune but I am glad that you guys have the artistic freedom to do that. I find the new cd to be very top shelf in every aspect. Time flies is so true isnt it ? Reminds me to make the best of it.

jivadayadasa

Yeah it's a fun rhythm. Terry Branam has already made a nice transcription of that groove (all in 4/4 of course) - maybe he'll post it here?

Cheers
Gavin (in San Fran).
YES! Terry, that would be awesome if you would post that transcription!

cygnify

Gavin - thanks so much for "The Incident" - I'm really enjoying this disc and look forward to seeing it performed in concert (I'm flying up to New York to see the show next week!)

On the CD, you are given credit for "Post Production." What exactly did that entail?

Also, in a recent interview you mentioned using the Korg wave drum. On which track does that appear? Is that used for drum loops for for specific sounds?

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
Hey everybody,

I figured that there would be a few questions about Gavin's groove on "Bonnie the Cat".

Here's a quick little transcription:

Enjoy!

Terry

Hi Swiss Matthias,

Hi Bube

Italian Ricky is correct.

Cheers
Gavin (in San Fran).
I'm spending a lot of time in studing this thread Gavin....i cannot forget those things!
and overall here in italy there's bad weather conditions...my drum study room is in danger, because all the rain probably can invade my house's 1st level...so i gotta evacuate my kit...for example my 8" tom is in kitchen! (house 2nd level) =)
and my bassdrum is in one of the 2 bathroom... XD
The only one positive thing is that i got a lot of time to spend on this forum ; )

Brundlefly

I just got back from the Club Nokia show in LA and wanted to drop a few comments. The band sounded very locked in. Certainly one of the best sounding performances I've ever heard. My companion leaned over after the first few numbers and commented that it sounded "just like the CD." Yes, but I was noticing lots of little extras coming from the drum kit too. Anyway, thanks for coming all the way out here and putting on such a great show. Hopefully, our rushed clapping during Trains wasn't too off-putting. :)

Also, I could be mistaken but I could swear that I saw Simon Phillips in the VIP section just before the show.

SantiBanks

Thank you for your detailed answer, SantiBanks! I get the idea now - I just lacked proper definition of what a gate does. Never thought to use it the other way round (i.e. closing instead of opening beyond a certain threshold).

Thanks again,
semaphore
No problem at all! I could be wrong with the following but from what I remember, the gate was invented as a noise reduction unit which would mean that you always have the gate open and need to close it (as noise is low level—well it should be low level—it would be filtered out if there was no loud signal present)

And Gavin, please pass my compliments to the whole band. The new record had to grow a bit on me but I like most of it. It's a bit of a different legue then FOABP, but nevertheless, very good music. Looking forward to see you guys in Amsterdam!

Maybe a weird question, but do you "practice" songs from bands you like? (something like metheny tune for example).
Just for fun, or maybe as a serious practice for a certain technique or concept?