Favorite metal drummer?

Re: Best metal drummers?

I like the Reverends from Avenged Sevenfolds drumming a lot. Listen to Blinded in Chains. Also Brann Dailors intros to songs, and Joey Jordison. I think its Lamb of G-d that I heard a ringtone of with the sickest metal drumming ever.

joey said:
and may i add

6. mickey dee (motorhead)

yes u may :) fantastick stuff he plays on helloween album rabbits dont come easy.
i also think uli kusch is awesome

Scott Travis-Judas Priest/ Racer X/ Fight
Shawn Drover-Megadeth
Bobby Jarzombeck-Halford etc
Blas Elias-Slaughter
Michael Thomas- Bullet for my valentine

Here are my top 6

Scott Travis
Dave Lombardo
Chris Adler
Bobby Jarzombek
Nicko McBrain
Mike Portnoy

Here are some good ones that just play cool stuff that fits the music.

Tommy Lee
Lars (And Justice and before)
Kelly Keagy (Very, very basic but fit the music)
Vinnie Paul
Scott Rockenfield
Bobby Blotzer

also shannon larkin of godsmack is amazing. his performance on their new album "IV" is quite simply astonishing.

I vote:

Chris Adler
Aaron Gillspie
Josh Eppard

i didnt read through everything to see if he was mentioned, but i vote Sean Reinhart. of course, he can play a lot more than "metal", but the most well known bands hes played in were metal bands. as far as newer/younger guys, i think Chris Pennie is one of the best. again, he can play much more than metal. to add to that, as far as death metal goes, Derek Roddy seems to be one of the best

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

I think that it depends on what kind of things that the metal drummer is good at. I evaluate him or she, by speed, technique and creativity.
Therefor here´s my folowing favourite metal drummer list: :p

Derek Roddy
Morgan Agren (this guy is completely cool, how he can mix jazz stuff with metal in odd time signatures)

Virgil Donati (he´s more rock than metal but very progressive)
Tomas Haake
Mike Portnoy
Chris Adler

x86zero said:
Tomas Haake, Gene Hoglan, and Martin Lopez are my top 3. Martin lopez is probably miles away from the other 2 in technique but his creativity,class, and style make him easily one of the best.

Martin Lopez way ahead of Gene Hoglan???
You obviously haven't heard Gene play on the two Death albums 'Individual Thought Patterns' and 'Symbolic'.

It goes like this for me:

1st - Kenneth Schalk - Candiria
2nd - Martin Lopez - Opeth
3rd - Danny Carey - Tool
4th - Thomas Haake - Meshuggah

DamageInc said:
Derek Roddy and Reno Killerich has the fastest feet in Metal. Reno now drums for Dimmu Borgir.

I'd say George Kollias and Tim Yeung have the fastest feet at present.

Enigo44 said:
gene hoglan-death angel/strapping young lad

Dark Angel/Death/SYL/The Almighty Punchdrunk/Old Mans Child/Devin T. etc etc

Headbanger Jazz said:
You know, for all the great drummers mentioned, ie Hoglan, Christy, Reinert, Roddy etc...
There is drummer that is being completely overlooked, IMO. His name is Steve Flynn, and he drummed with the band Atheist. His style is really unique, check out "Unquestionable Presence"

Yes man great point! and also the drummer from Pestilence, main on their 'Spheres' alb.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Riggghhhhhhhhhhhhhht. Which Iced Earth drummer?

There have been about 10, but I think you're referring to Richard Christy. Either way, I'm inclined to disagree. And speed isn't everything.

I beg to differ when it comes to Richard, I WOULD say he's got better chops than those three, Death's 'Sound Of P..' and Control Denied's first alb and also his work with Iced Earth is brilliant, and he ain't ALL about speed, his fills and beats are very interesting and talented.

I've lately started to like the drummers for:

Bullet for My Valentine
It Dies Today
Still Remains
Darkest Hour (although his drums sound weird)
and God Forbid

so I'd like to add them to my list

Tyrnox said:
Well Tool is progressive metal so I guess my vote goes to Carrey, but there are so many drummers to name and so many different types of metal. I would also have to mention Jason Rullo, Gene Holgan, Dirk Verbeuden, David Haley of Psycroptic ( which I have just discovered, truly one of the most impressive Death metal drummers to date ), Chris Alder, and on...and on and on :D

Personally i think tool sucks their music is so boring to me they never play hard, the only songs i like are sober and stinkfist although their drummer is pretty good, i heard a drum solo he played, i think he should quit tool and join a better band

METAL_DRUMMER said:
Personally i think tool sucks their music is so boring to me they never play hard, the only songs i like are sober and stinkfist although their drummer is pretty good, i heard a drum solo he played, i think he should quit tool and join a better band

If you think that Tool doesnt play hard stuff, you have never tried to play along with any of it.

Back