Favorite metal drummer?

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

It's all preference my friend. I haven't seen the names Tommy Lee and Shannon Larkin in here yet. I think they are well within the ranks of being up there with the best.

Max Kolesne -> Krisiun .....i wonder why he isnt at the drummerworld.com yet

Joey Jordison -> Slipknot ....yeaahh!! \o/

DW_DRUMMER0301 said:
Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying) is one of the best rising metal drummers out there his double bass speeds surpass joey jordison (slipknot) and chirs alder (lamb of god). to me hes the fastest double bass player out there.

Hey dude Ive carfully listened to this Jordan Mancino, and to be frank yeh he is fast but Joey is an overall better drummer, due to his creativity in songs e.g., His lightning fast tom fills and solos. Also he is technically much more precise and his style of playing can change in songs from an insane tom fill to a gut bustin double bass chop, to a funky melodic beat through playing a huge range of different cymbals and drums. In conclusion Joey is one or THE best metal drummer and most infuential to recent generations of drummers.
Also im sure im not the only one but Joey is much exiting and enjoyable to listen to.

Nathomuss 666th

I think vinnie paul with dime are tight, technical, and (for a newbie) absolutely awesome to listen to.

John Dolmayan
and Mike Portnoy

seen them both at concerts, both are nuts

portnoy is better tho

well fact is this topic is redundant

but
i can tell you a few (metal) people whose drumming I love, even though I get so little to nothing out of metal (though i have before so i think i have some idea of what i say)

John Dolmayan - perfect> tasteful, powerful and dammit - sit and play his parts on your drums either along to the song or just with it in your head and to me it brings a joy.

Derek Roddy & Hellhammer - a different part of metal spectrum to eg Dolmayan but to me are something of pioneers in the fashion that Dave Lombardo was in the 80s (time will tell). Their speed and enruance but more importantly precision ('tightness'), sound and creativity is wonderful. Very musical yet still intrinsically death/black metal. AND - both the boys can groove. Also both Derek Roddy and Hellhammer on one album each have what is for me the best extreme metal drum sound - for derek roddy, Nile's Black Seeds of Vengeance = wonderful. For Hellhammer, Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. However both players have suffered weaker and lower drum mixes on other recordings. A real shame.

Dave Lombardo - in regards to 'metal', i really think Slayer means something. And Dave Lombardo was one of those pioneers of the speed but as a suppliment to genuine creativity and real musicality. Reliably good, but rarely predictable. And to any drum-playing Slayer fan, you know as well as I do - there are some magical Lombardo moments. Paul Bostaph never quite captured those 'magical' moments with Slayer (though i think that has as much to do with the material itself from his time with the band) but like Lombardo also has a good groove. My preference to Lombardo is also to do with his more refined hand technique - Bostaph is too much a slammer. Cannot be healthy I do not think. Lombardo's double bass technique is for me also questionable - he seems to truly 'run' on his pedals and get a lot of leg power into the strokes. However he is 40 give or take and still doing it as well if not better than ever, on every occasion that i have seen him.

Joey Jordison - not someone i feel the need to praise for his speed (hand or foot) but rather his drawing attention to 'clever' metal drumming and, I find, getting more recognition for drummers in the metal genre (as a former one myself). At the same time he has made lots of young drummers go after speed and double bass too quickly etc but this is not directly his fault. Live i am really not that impressed by him, nor am i by his (newer) technique but on certain recordings - he really does know what he is saying. There's nothing specific i can really refer to as to why i think he is good - but for those who like him like i do, you'll know what i mean. There's a weird, weird groove there.

i wanted to name five players, but...
To those who count Abe Cunningham as a metal drummer - I think he is really something. To those who don't ... oh well. Cunningham has the atmosphere and groove and even clever chops that never obscure anything but sound perfect. Dave Silveria up until Issues was similar but over simplified in my opinion. It may have something to do with the surgery for his wrist injuries - but in watching him he seems to be hitting harder and 'dumber' now than i have ever seen him ... so I am inclined now to say 'whatever' in regards to Dave Silveria. Abe Cunningham leads the way for me in this field.

Has anyone heard of the band children of bodom? There drummer is amazing!!

either him, or Josh Freese in a perfect circle

Thank you! About time somone mentioned the very underated CK. The drumming on that album is fantastic - some of the best I've ever heard on a hard rock album.
And I have listend to, and watched/listened to many clips/songs, and I still don't believe that DM can pull off some precision parts from the BME album.

Apart from him:

Flo Mounier
Derek Roddy
George Kollias... and so on.

I don't see the point listing any more, as they're more my personal favourites that anything.

Umm, how could I forget:

Martin Lopez
Dave Lombardo
Gene Hoglan

Had to mention those.

sween said:
It still amazes me that Brann Dailor from mastadon gets so little press on this site. My favorite metal drummers would be:

Brann Dailor
Thomas Haake
Danny Carey
Igor Cavelera
Vinnie Paul
Also love Chris Kontos' playing on the first Machine Head album and Dave McClain's on the second.
Abe Cunningham (Though not a metal drummer he does play in a metal band of sorts)

Berzerker drummer and Flo from Cryptopsy. I would say Frost from Satyricon , he have great techniques.

Attachments

• Triple Pedals.jpeg
    Triple Pedals.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,313
  • Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).jpeg
    Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy).jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,624

I think there are many amazing metal drummers out there. But my most favorite drummer right now would be Zach Gibson of The Black Dahlia Murder...He is WAY better Than Joey from slipknot.....By far....Enough said

(sic) said:
i like joey jordison. and that guy from cradle of ilth, his name slipped my mind....

You mean Nick Barker? Now of Dimmu Borgir of course.

.................................bobby jarrzombek

h3lli0N said:
vote who u think is the best metal drummer...

i vote chris adler!
There are SO MANY GREAT DRUMMERS FLO, Gene, Sean Reinheart is really underrecognized for his Talents,The list goes on and on ...its hard to pick and you guys have named most of them.
but don't forget GUYS Like Jim Richman from drums.com he can drive METAL is just as fast as a lot of the name death guys and can handle odd time and adds creative drumming amongst a wall of grinding guitars and Gutter Vocals.
go to drums.com for more info on Jims band,\
Just my 2 cents
God Bless
Tim
www.timwaterson.com

Yeah, there are many amazing drummers out there.. So you cant really argue who is the best...within metal, there are also different styles.. So alot of it is personal preference...
Thats my thoughts on that.

Yeah..just take a look on Buddy Rich solos...awesome hands.

"best" drummer really doesnt make sense...but i'll say my favorite drummer in metal right now I'd have to say is Chris Adler....

I've played guitar for the last 4 years, and Chris Adler was the guy who got me to start playing drums again...

I can't resist...

"The Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz was a pretty good metal drummer."

Gene Hoglin or Sean Reinert (Death)
I've said it before, these guys make Danney Carrey (who is AWESOME) sound like Meg White. They are as fast, brutal and amazingly technical as a human being can get.

Back