Kick drum mic system that mounts to the kick drum itself?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I like miking my kick (who doesn't?). I use a D112.

With that said...

1. I don't like the short tripods because they always fall over or get tripped over on smaller stages.

2. I don't like using normal tripods because these are also not ideal for small stages.

3. I have one of those internal mic mounts, but my sound hole is too small to get a hand and a mic through and reach the thing if I mounted it.

4. I don't like just putting it on a towel in the kick drum. I want it out front in front of the port hole.

Isn't there some sort of thing that mounts to the rim of a kick drum that holds a kick drum mic? Y'all ever use one? Your results?

Thanks!

A really simple fix is a multi-clamp and a long gooseneck. Multi-clamp the gooseneck to one of your kick legs and bend the mic to your desired position.

EDIT: Gibraltar makes a gooseneck-compatible clamp that sells for under $10. Looks great for almost any application, not just kicks.
https://www.interstatemusic.com/35239-Gibraltar-Deluxe-Nylon-Clamp-Mount-SCDMM.aspx?sku=PB567DMM&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT24yL5NnjkbkuG4IpzbOuliRGR8cKtoQxjtn9N7rQI6i_IAqjQ_ylzYaAlnNEALw_wcB

Last edited:
A really simple fix is a multi-clamp and a long gooseneck. Multi-clamp the gooseneck to one of your kick legs and bend the mic to your desired position.

Well freakin' duh! I should have thought of that! I already own what I need to make that happen.

Thanks! :)

Try the simple route first with the gooseneck like Al suggested. If that doesn't work for you here's a few other options:

At 17 pounds the TAMA Iron Works Studio Ultra-Low Tripod should stay in place. No guarantees about falling bandmates.

I'm running two Kelly Shu mounts internally on my kick drums. I've run unported reso heads for years but now have a
two inch port near the bottom center of the reso head. That's enough to route one or two XLR jumper cables to internal
mounts. Set it and forget it for your internal microphone(s).

Attachments

• Reso&2%22PortLoRes450dpi.jpg
    Reso&2%22PortLoRes450dpi.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 288
  • SHUdual4LoRes.jpg
    SHUdual4LoRes.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 287
Try the simple route first with the gooseneck like Al suggested. If that doesn't work for you here's a few other options:

At 17 pounds the TAMA Iron Works Studio Ultra-Low Tripod should stay in place. No guarantees about falling bandmates.

I'm running two Kelly Shu mounts internally on my kick drums. I've run unported reso heads for years but now have a
two inch port near the bottom center of the reso head. That's enough to route one or two XLR jumper cables to internal
mounts. Set it and forget it for your internal microphone(s).

Was setting up the Shu mounts fussy?

Any pics of your full kit?

Was setting up the Shu mounts fussy?

Any pics of your full kit?

I didn't have any issues setting up either of the Kelly SHU mounts. The
FLATZ mount is straight forward and super easy to install. The PRO mount
takes some experimentation to find the sweet spot for your drum and mic
position. Be prepared if you have a full reso head that you'll be removing and
re-installing it a lot until you get the sound/tone you're after. Jeffery Kelly
(owner of Kelly Concepts) is super helpful if you have questions.

I have a shell bank so my kit varies. But my "go to" kit is 24/13/16 most of the time.

I didn't have any issues setting up either of the Kelly SHU mounts. The
FLATZ mount is straight forward and super easy to install. The PRO mount
takes some experimentation to find the sweet spot for your drum and mic
position. Be prepared if you have a full reso head that you'll be removing and
re-installing it a lot until you get the sound/tone you're after. Jeffery Kelly
(owner of Kelly Concepts) is super helpful if you have questions.

The sound of your kick with the reso head on was worth the effort, eh? Did you try it with a ported reso before you went unported?

I have a shell bank so my kit varies. But my "go to" kit is 24/13/16 most of the time.

"shell bank". Nice. Different brands?

The sound of your kick with the reso head on was worth the effort, eh? Did you try it with a ported reso before you went unported?

"shell bank". Nice. Different brands?

Yes, I experimented both ways and have different ported heads on hand as needed.
But ever since the 90's I've always preferred non-ported heads for more tone.
The beauty of the SHU system is once you get it set up for the sound you want,
there's no more guess work about mic placement. It's just plug and play.

All Yamaha Recording Custom Series (Japan) shells, but no Yamaha snares.

A little bit hard to see, but this is a K&M snare/tom clip attached to the wooden rim of a catalina jazz kit. The clamp has rubber each side so it doesn’t scratch the wood. Sounds great - better than I expected - with the mic pointing towards the port at a 45 degree angle.

Attachments

• 8729F8CA-B3EE-4FF5-B8F6-9D957F58B7A4.jpeg
    8729F8CA-B3EE-4FF5-B8F6-9D957F58B7A4.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 254
This is the clip used in the previous picture.

Note, it probably wouldn’t hold a really heavy mic like a B52. The screw holding the mic needs to really tight or the mic can ‘droop’ downwards. Seems more stable pointing up from the bottom rather than down from 3 o’clock. We’ve used this for 100 gigs or so.

Attachments

• 280C9674-B1BD-4900-8039-97F5E6B89238.jpeg
    280C9674-B1BD-4900-8039-97F5E6B89238.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 250
Another satisfied Kelly SHU user here. I have them in my 20" and 24" kicks, with short XLR leaders permanently attached.

I looked at all the options mentioned in this thread. Tried (stage tested) the Gibraltar, Dunnett, and Kelly SHU. The latter met all my criteria.

I use the May System in my kick.
Occasionally it comes a little loose from transporting and beating that kick over and over, but it's a quick fix so it doesn't bother me.
Mounts right to any lug on the inside of the drum.

I did see that DW just came out with a hoop attachment for a kick mic that is basically a cymbal boom arm with a mic clip on the end of it. Sounds like what you're looking for, but it also looks over complicated and problematic like most DW hardware.

7517958_800.jpg

This prevents toppling as the longer leg goes under the kick.

I also have a May mount laying around for when needed.

They have the Monorail now and are in the process of making one where you control the sled via Bluetooth for more control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbU7jD6I7v0

or Gibraltar has something similar but a bit lower tech and a lot lower money.
https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-GBDIMM-Bass-Microphone-Mount/dp/B004T0MEDI

I've used this for years - no issues whatsoever. I have a ported reso and can reach in to plug the cable in every time rather than having permanent trailing wires.

I use the DW version with the non-drill adapter on my kicks. If you go the Gibraltar route and pick up some type of wire-connector, you're going to be close to the DW version money anyway.

I figure whatever works for you (proverbial 'you') is what's best.

I3. I have one of those internal mic mounts, but my sound hole is too small to get a hand and a mic through and reach the thing if I mounted it.

If you end up putting a mic inside, it can just live there with its cable coming out of the hole. There'd rarely be a need to reach in and fuss with it.

I mounted 2 mics inside my touring kick in 2016, and haven't touched them since. Even with all the handling over 160+ shows, no problems.

Bermuda

Back