First gig ever on Sat - preparation tips

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
So we have our first gig on Sat.

What non-playing ways can I mentally prep myself for it?

I've been practicing 2-3 hrs a day for the last week or so. I do 1/2 hr of rudiments, work through the set on my kit during the day, then maybe run through the set twice to recorded drum grooves on the e-kit.

Personally I know the set well enough but need to be relaxed and focussed to perform at my best, making the best decisions dynamics-wise etc and feel in control.

Any tips on how to achieve that over and above what I'm doing?

(Been playing for a year this time round)

Strip all the audience down to their underwear.

Maybe see if you can rehearse in front of people that you are nervous about seeing you. To get a feel for playing under a little pressure.

I'd sit and visualise what you're going to play without even picking up a pair of sticks. Mental preparation is just as important as physical. Maybe even sit at the kit when you're doung it.

Whatever you do just try and have fun, that's what playing live is all about.

I'll never forget my first gig, I'm sure you won't either.

Good luck!

Theses are not mental tips but - stretch your hands well and warm up before you start. Make sure you drink water before and during your set.

Good Luck!

Barry

You will get a wealth of information on this forum on this topic- all of which will be good. But, I think the most important thing (IMO) is just relax and have fun with it! There is such a thing as over -preparing and this can drive you crazy and affect your performance. I do agree with visualization as Juniper mentioned.
Sounds like you have done your work in preparing. If you look like you are having a good time while on stage, the audience will have a good time.
Best of luck!

I'm playing a show Friday. Not exactly my first (not by a long shot) but I still get nerves. I don't have any advice except to try and relax - literally.

We played a low-key gig last weekend and hadn't practiced much beforehand so we showed up to the rehearsal space earlier than usual to do a quick run-thru of the set. It felt really great and I was very relaxed and in control, but by the time we got to the venue, got set up, hung around, and, finally started to play, my muscles tensed up almost right away! I was like, "Why is this happening when we just practiced a couple hours ago?"

Maybe I shoulda had another pint? Shoulda worked out on a pad just before? Deep-breathing exercies? Yoga?

The nerves just comes with the territory for some of us. It's part of the fun, I guess...

Strip all the audience down to their underwear.

Maybe see if you can rehearse in front of people that you are nervous about seeing you. To get a feel for playing under a little pressure.

Crap, I got this suggestion backwards. That totally explains a lot of funny looks.

The thing not to do is over think things.
Don't practice endlessly in an effort to be perfect.
This will only make you more nervous.
What I do is I just keep on going through the tunes in my head whenever I happen to think of them.
I will be at work and I will just let my mind run through a few of the tunes.
I go over the set list and I write notes next to the songs. These notes help me to remember things that I frequently forget like, "come in on 3", Or, "don't forget the stop after the guitar lead". Stupid little notes like this.
I even write the tempos down so that I don't forget. I write things like "Don't Rush"
Putting things that I forget in writing helps me to remember.

Don't play your drums the day before your gig. Listen to the songs you're going to be playing and soak it in. Warm up a little before you play the gig and remember, 99+% of the people there don't know how to play drums, and you do. Have fun with it.

Also, it is true that your nerves will heavily subside after the first song. I promise.

Crap, I got this suggestion backwards. That totally explains a lot of funny looks.

I had a complete wardrobe malfunction one Hallowe'en. When your concern over high hat placement is primarily about exactly how much of you is visible with legs spread, that truly is nerves.

I'd sit and visualise what you're going to play without even picking up a pair of sticks. Mental preparation is just as important as physical.
Yep, am doing that already, but will ramp from physical to mental prep in the next coupla days

Make sure you drink water before and during your set.
Definitely. A practice last night in unseasonably warm weather left me v dehydrated.

I think the most important thing (IMO) is just relax and have fun with it!
I aim to be dancing while playing. The guitarists have been ordered to groove too

I go over the set list and I write notes next to the songs. These notes help me to remember things that I frequently forget like <snip>
Yep, notes all prepped and ready

Don't play your drums the day before your gig.
Naah, I like to keep my hands in shape.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

You should aim to be comfortable enough with the songs that you're able to play them alone, if you can recall all the changes and sections by yourself, you should be fine.

After that, just have fun, enjoy it, playing music is awesome and more if it's your original music, also realize and accept that no matter how much you practice, mistakes WILL happen, faulty gear, momentary lapses in memory, stick falls, accept it and get over it, it's not really the end of the world, just concentrate on having a good time.

know tour set well enough that your eyes don't even have to open.. if you get scared close your eyes ... just feel it .. imagine everyone is cheering for you .. and don't sweat it /.... if you F-up .. odds are the audience is to f"in retarded and doesn't care to notice .... just play ........Uness you playing for a guaranteed $1,000 per member of the band .. then .. don't you dare mess up .... if you are playing for free or some minimal amount of money .. just enjoy it ... .. remember ,,, in the grand scheme of things ... being a drummer .. you are hidden behind everyone else .. all the girls want to "F" the vocalist or guitarist .. probably don't even realize you exist

The best advice I can offer is...get out of your own head. Give to others. When you focus on yourself too much...you're focusing on yourself too much. Try to be helpful to the others before you go on. Carry that attitude over into your playing, remember it's a team effort. You can offer to get drinks for your mates, or just be courteous to them. If you think about your own crap too much, there's a larger picture you're missing. Last time I checked it wasn't all about the drummer. Make everybody feel good by checking on them to make sure they have everything they need. It's a great way to channel excess energy, and makes for a happy band vibe when at least one person is thinking about someone other than themselves.

The thing not to do is over think things.
Don't practice endlessly in an effort to be perfect.
This will only make you more nervous.
What I do is I just keep on going through the tunes in my head whenever I happen to think of them.
I will be at work and I will just let my mind run through a few of the tunes.
I go over the set list and I write notes next to the songs. These notes help me to remember things that I frequently forget like, "come in on 3", Or, "don't forget the stop after the guitar lead". Stupid little notes like this.
I even write the tempos down so that I don't forget. I write things like "Don't Rush"
Putting things that I forget in writing helps me to remember.

This pretty much describes my routine to a tee. Especially the part about writing notes and tempos next to the songs on the set list.

When you focus on yourself too much...you're focusing on yourself too much.
Profound stuff Larry;)

Joking aside though, Larry's right on the money here. If you're going to concentrate on anything, concentrate on creating a vibe. Then feed off that vibe, & have a ton of fun. The audience picks up on a band having fun, much more than it picks up on minor errors. Having a good time improves your playing by default too!

Oh, almost forgot, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Be prepared to be flexible. I don't know what kind of venue you are playing, but you never know how things are gonna change at the gig. Maybe you won't have room for that second floor tom. Maybe the room is so small you have to play with rods. Maybe the guitar player starts the song too fast and you have to simplify your part to keep up. Maybe you can't hear the guitar player. One thing I can guarantee you, no matter how many gigs you do, it will never sound or feel like it does at rehearsal. Whatever comes up at this gig or at any of your future ones, just be prepared to deal with it with a smile!

Last edited:
Back