Favorite metal drummer?

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

Gene Hoglin or Sean Reinert (Death)
I've said it before, these guys make Danney Carrey (who is AWESOME) sound like Meg White. They are as fast, brutal and amazingly technical as a human being can get.

I think your missing the point of danny careys drumming a little. He isn't about being fast and brutal. It's not a fair comparison I.M.O

sween said:
Gene Hoglin or Sean Reinert (Death)
I've said it before, these guys make Danney Carrey (who is AWESOME) sound like Meg White. They are as fast, brutal and amazingly technical as a human being can get.

I think your missing the point of danny careys drumming a little. He isn't about being fast and brutal. It's not a fair comparison I.M.O

I'm not missing the point of his drumming. Tool is great progressive rock. If you've heard Death before, you'd hear Reinert break down off beats with all 4 limbs, PLUS he can do the fast stuff.

I guess I should be careful how I talk about Danny Carrey in a drummer forum...

meshuggah1324 said:
At the end of the day, you can have all the speed in the world, but when you think best all-around metal drummers I tend to think Tomas Haake (MESHUGGAH) and Gene Hoglan (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD) are the best of the best.

If you like Thomas Haake, you should listen to Chris Pennie from The Dillinger Escape Plan, if you have not heard him before.

Taylor said:
If you like Thomas Haake, you should listen to Chris Pennie from The Dillinger Escape Plan, if you have not heard him before.

You've got good taste, Taylor.

magand said:
Well, i think we all know who that is. Joey Jordison of chourse.

simply because he is one of the more popular metal drummers, it doesnt mean hes one of the best.

W.O.A. said:
Yeah..just take a look on Buddy Rich solos...awesome hands.

Buddy Rich isnt much of a metalhead though......

My favorites are the following

For Hard Rock - Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)
For Heavy Metal - Scott Travis (Priest, but more impressive in Racer X and Fight)
For Speed Metal - Dave Lombardo (Slayer and great playing on Testament's the Gathering)

I am sure that there are technical drummers better than these guys, but their styles make the music.

DW_DRUMMER0301 said:
Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying) is one of the best rising metal drummers out there his double bass speeds surpass joey jordison (slipknot) and chirs alder (lamb of god). to me hes the fastest double bass player out there.
you obviously havent heard of pete sandoval from morbid angel.....definatly deserves fastest double bass title more than the guys you mentioned

Led Opeth said:
you obviously havent heard of pete sandoval from morbid angel.....definatly deserves fastest double bass title more than the guys you mentioned

I must admit, Opening at the Gates is a pretty insane song. You can barely hear the individual notes, but in the end, does it really matter who the fastest double bass player is?

mediocrefunkybeat said:
I must admit, Opening at the Gates is a pretty insane song. You can barely hear the individual notes, but in the end, does it really matter who the fastest double bass player is?
lol it doesnt, but i was just trying to make a point not to give labels so easily...derek roddy is insanely fast aswell, just to add lol

oh please
everyone knows that joey jordison is the best
but my favourits are also dave silvera and igor cavalera

the nameless said:
oh please
everyone knows that joey jordison is the best
but my favourits are also dave silvera and igor cavalera

Instructions.

i) Open up DWF forums.
ii) Go to 'Joey Jordison' thread. Read.
iii) Look up some other drummers on DW and watch their videos.
iv) Please don't speak for other members. I do not 'know' JJ is the best, he is good. But I personally prefer Steve Gadd and Bill Bruford. In terms of metal drummers, Dave Lombardo and Richard Christy are two of my favourites, but I'm not objectively saying it.
v) Please do not patronise other members with this 'please' business.

and please stop this
i think so i am stuff

*chuckles to self*

So Slipknot is really underground is it, I think Joey is good, yes, but just not 'the best.' I never said they were the best, just that I like them. Here are my reasons:

Dave Lombardo played with great originality and was one of the pioneers of his genre, he plays with great power and manages to maintain the consistency and speed required for his playing with Slayer. His energy really drives the band and blends with the riffs well.

Richard Christy, from what I have heard, is much along the same ground. When I discuss Christy I am more referring to his later work after Death (not having heard enough Death to judge) but from what I have heard his playing is precise and accurate, again with the raw energy to drive a band.

Last edited by a moderator:

the nameless said:
and please stop this
i think so i am stuff

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow what you're trying to say?

i never said slipknot is underground but you listen more to metalica
and linkin parkon the radio and if you´ve ever been to a slipknot concert
you would know why i like jj
and i am really not fixed on jj have you ever heard of christoph schneider
and one of the best drummers(in my opinion)(if you want so)
john dolmayan

What do people think of Nicholas Barker?

Last edited by a moderator:

please help me who is he and where does he play
i do not realy know him
sorry

the nameless said:
please help me who is he and where does he play
i do not realy know him
sorry

Nicholas Barker plays in Cradle of Filth and also in Dimmu Borgir. Very good player, British too.. someone holding up for the side...

Back