The thing you bought but you never use

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've kicked around the idea of buying a Yamaha Club Jordan Cocktail kit. I've been fascinated by cocktail kits since the early 90s. I like the idea of a cocktail kit, but I'm afraid that I would never use it if I bought it, and that's quite a bit of money to tie up into something that never gets used. This got me thinking...

Ever bought something drum-related that you thought you may use but never did? It may be a cymbal, a snare, etc. I'm not talking about something that you used for a while and then stashed it away. I'm talking about something that you bought, maybe used it once (or not at all), and it's been sitting ever since.

I bought one of those tamborines that attaches to the hi-hat rod and after a few months I just sort of lost track of it because I wasn't using it.

I did use it in the studio one time and got a good price so not a total waste.

An LP Pandeiro....

Saw Stanton Moore use one and thought it would go well with the acoustic stuff I am involved in.

Freely admitting my own lack of understanding and technique of\with this type of instrument, it sounded like a choked tambourine, only worse in my hands.

I went after it with a pair of needle nosed pliers to try and open it up....and...
Well it's somewhere in the baesment in a box...I think?

Lol

Pretty much every wood block type thingy I ever bought thinking this one Ill be able to incorporate better, but didn't.

A cowbell. I bought one years ago to cover 1 song. Well, we haven't played that song in years, so it's been sitting in the closet.

A cowbell for me too. I only use it for two songs (which I haven't played in quite a while). But hey, a drummer needs a cowbell, it's just one of those things we gotta have, right?

A Roland SPD-SX is laying about, I don't think electronics is my thing, it takes too much time to learn how to use it properly. The acoustic kit is more up my ally. No fiddling, just playing.

20 inch China.

Too loud! And when you try and play it at lower dynamics the timbre just isn’t right.... very disappointed there!

Pretty much every wood block type thingy I ever bought thinking this one Ill be able to incorporate better, but didn't.

Same here. I used an LP wood block at one gig and it has never re-surfaced since. I think this is why 'wood block thingies' and other small percussion are common on used sites.

I bought a Supralite - Ludwig's off-shore steel snare. I played it for a day or two, then went back to my Ludwig Standard aluminum snare. Nothing bad about the Supralite, it's cheep, sounds good and lives up to the hype. It's just that the Standard is such a sleeper of a drum - I love that thing.

bought a 10" soultone splash.. hit it twice.. no idea where it is now.

Many, many years ago (I was 12 at the time) I saw that Mike Portnoy had a set of LP Granite Blocks in one of his monster sets... I got them for Christmas that year and didn't find a use for them, I decided I would never again fall into marketing schemes for stuff I wouldn't use...

Until I got called for an Electropunk band, now I'm nothing without them.

Here's a video of them in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUPHc_XYoE

Drum Dial.

Used once, maybe twice.

I think they're still handy for the odd house kit that sounds really weird. In my experience, just getting all the lugs ball-park in the same number range improved those kits dramatically. Much faster than trying to ear tune in a loud venue on dented heads.

Yep, a 24" Yamaha BCA kick. Great drum, but I couldn't get comfortable behind so it sat unloved on a shelf until I sold it,

OP are you in North Carolina, if so you must be talking about that one listed for $1,000. I think I know that seller, I have bought stuff from him before with no issues. IF I'm right, he's the same guy that bought my BCA kick

Many years ago, I bought a brand new Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage (the one with the plastic Nouveau-style detachable lugs) to use as a gigging kit. We didn't have any gigs coming up and I never even played that thing once, as I ended up selling it a month or two later for the same price I paid for it. But it originally came with a full hardware pack, and I kept two of the cymbal stands, so I essentially got those for free (and I still use 'em). So not a total waste.

But hey, a drummer needs a cowbell, it's just one of those things we gotta have, right?

I've never understood why so many drummers think that. I HATE cowbells and would never use one. In fact, last year I was in the recording studio with my band, and one of the songs we were laying down has a quarter-note cowbell in the choruses (the keyboard player played it live at our shows). I refused to record the cowbell part, and pleaded with the band leader to ditch that idea. In the end he won, and I think he recorded the part himself.

Many years ago, I bought a brand new Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage (the one with the plastic Nouveau-style detachable lugs) to use as a gigging kit. We didn't have any gigs coming up and I never even played that thing once, as I ended up selling it a month or two later for the same price I paid for it. But it originally came with a full hardware pack, and I kept two of the cymbal stands, so I essentially got those for free (and I still use 'em). So not a total waste.

I've never understood why so many drummers think that. I HATE cowbells and would never use one. In fact, last year I was in the recording studio with my band, and one of the songs we were laying down has a quarter-note cowbell in the choruses (the keyboard player played it live at our shows). I refused to record the cowbell part, and pleaded with the band leader to ditch that idea. In the end he won, and I think he recorded the part himself.

Sounds like you took a really mature approach to that situation...

Back