Help with insane time signature?

really? i know the snare is like moving down beats? i cant figure out the pattern

I just counted 4/4 through the whole song and it worked perfectly

sounds like just a creative pattern in 4/4 to me

It is 4/4. A lot of the accents in the 2nd bar are on the e, and, aahs which is why it seems more complex thn it is.

It is 4/4. A lot of the accents in the 2nd bar are on the e, and, aahs which is why it seems more complex thn it is.

gotta love when you are playing in 4/4 and you have people questioning what time signature you are in

pretty awesome actually

:)

OK, I started with just the clicking rhythm in the beginning, it is a very long phrase. It is 3 groups of 5, followed by 3 groups of 3, followed by another 3 groups of 5, followed by 2 groups of 3. I attached the midi notation of it as well as a bounce of it.

If you use the length of that phrase to give your time signature, it is 45/16. This rhythm gives us the basis for the drum part, once the guitars kick in. On each group of 5, the snare plays on the 4th note, and on each group of three, the snare plays the 3rd note. Over top of all of that, the bell of the ride is played every quarter note. This means that the quarter note gets offset by a 16th each time the 45/16 is played through. That means that the drum pattern doesn't actually repeat for 180 16th notes.

Attachments

• Output 1-2.mp3
    380 KB · Views: 434
  • Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 11.29.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 11.29.46 PM.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 4,008
Here is the drum part, I notated it in midi the way I described in the previous post, and am playing it back slower than the song. In the audio file, I point out where the quarter note ride finally lines up again. If you listen carefully to the bass drum rhythm, and look at the midi notation in the post I made above this one, you will see that it is the same rhythm.

Attachments

• gojira groove.mp3
    903.5 KB · Views: 593
OK, I started with just the clicking rhythm in the beginning, it is a very long phrase. It is 3 groups of 5, followed by 3 groups of 3, followed by another 3 groups of 5, followed by 2 groups of 3. I attached the midi notation of it as well as a bounce of it.

If you use the length of that phrase to give your time signature, it is 45/16. This rhythm gives us the basis for the drum part, once the guitars kick in. On each group of 5, the snare plays on the 4th note, and on each group of three, the snare plays the 3rd note. Over top of all of that, the bell of the ride is played every quarter note. This means that the quarter note gets offset by a 16th each time the 45/16 is played through. That means that the drum pattern doesn't actually repeat for 180 16th notes.

Excellent analysis, Luke.

I'm just trying to understand the basic rhythm. How did you get groups of 5? For some reason I'm only counting 4. Am I doing it wrong?

Back