Remo emperor vs Evans EC2

Zoofie

Hey all!
Time to get new heads again! I play metal , and tbh metal only , so im after a nice 'thud' sound without many overtones at all. Atm i play on clear emperors , with moongel on both the batter and reso. Just wondering if you prefer Evans EC2 or Remo Emperor?
Cheers!

i never had the emperor but i do have the ec2s and i gotta say they sound pretty good, ive had remo pinstripes on my old sound percussion kit and it sounded great so if you want a thud sound and nice focused sound, because it has that dampening ring...then definitely go for remo pinstripes.

i never had the emperor but i do have the ec2s and i gotta say they sound pretty good, ive had remo pinstripes on my old sound percussion kit and it sounded great so if you want a thud sound and nice focused sound, because it has that dampening ring...then definitely go for remo pinstripes.

I am using the pinstrips and I love the sound they give...tune and play!!!!

I am using the pinstrips and I love the sound they give...tune and play!!!!

They were my favorite head for years and years until the quality control at Remo went down hill. You can still get good ones but I gave up on the gamble and sorting through the heads at the store. I like to be able to buy and go. Evans and Aquarian have outstanding quality from what I have experianced. To give my opinion, Emperors and EC 2 heads are both very good. I had to pick between the 2, I'd give the coated EC'2 a shot. My son has them on his Tama kit 12, 13 and 16. They are very round, punchy and loud sounding. I'd like to give them a shot on my Ddrum set, 14, 16 and 18. I have clear Emperors on my Tama set 10, 12 and 14 and they sound great. They have a nice snap and plenty of volume. Sorry if this responce sounds confusing. I would say go to Remo, Evans and Aquarians site and look the heads over and read their desciptions. That may help some if you haven't done that yet. If you are playing for yourself (not in a live band situation) the Aquarian Performance 2's are the way to go. They are designed for loose tuning. There are no overtones. Just a thud with some sustain. I have them on my Ddrum set. They are great for that classic low thud. If you are playing with a band, I wouldn't recommend them unless the drums are close micd. They won't cut thru the racket of a live band too well.

Last edited:
If you are currently using moongel,you need EC2's.
I have owned both, but prefer the slightly more open sound of Emperors.Like others have stated,I believe Evans to have better manufacturing oversight than Remo currently Just an opinion.

Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. Tried the EC2, too much dampening for my taste

Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. Tried the EC2, too much dampening for my taste

I just bought new heads not even a couple weeks ago but when I decide to try a new set of them, this is exactly what I'm going for.

I've heard many different drummers' kits and many recommendations of this pairing and it sounds excellent.

I know this is a very old post. I'm looking to not piss money away. I have a PDP Concept maple kit with 5 different Toms: 8,10,12, 14, 16 sizes. Got the Kit Used in 2021. I'm 70 YO, Retired, and play only for recreation to My Music. I repaced the stock Remo (Ambassador according to PDP), batter heads with Evans G2s Coated per my drum sho[p's recommendation as "warmer" for maple kits. But no matter how I tweak and Tune the Toms, I can't get to that "sweet spot" at least to my ear. Added Evans e-rings and that softened the overtones / ringing. I like that Doooo, Doooo sound (as decribed on Line by Jared at DRUMEO), with he e-rings , I'm almost there. However, I purchased Evans EC2s for my previous Cheapo (Gammon) kit , and saved those heads before I donated the kit to my 4 year old Grandson. I installed the EC2 on the 12 " Tom and with the e-ring , I think I got the sound i want. I will experiment with the 16" Floor Tom today. If that yields the same results, then I will order the 10 " and 14" batter heads. I returned to playing after 50 Years (1969) and back then I did none of this : replacing heads, Tweaking /Tuning my cheapo kit. I guess my remaining question is : Why do I still need some muffling (e-rings) to get me there? Do most people use some sort of Muffling application (Moongels, e-rimngs, Gatt Tape, etc) to Get There ? THX Foks, Be well. Take care. Don't Get COVID. I and my wife DID , it's no Picnic.

I know this is a very old post. I'm looking to not piss money away. I have a PDP Concept maple kit with 5 different Toms: 8,10,12, 14, 16 sizes. Got the Kit Used in 2021. I'm 70 YO, Retired, and play only for recreation to My Music. I repaced the stock Remo (Ambassador according to PDP), batter heads with Evans G2s Coated per my drum sho[p's recommendation as "warmer" for maple kits. But no matter how I tweak and Tune the Toms, I can't get to that "sweet spot" at least to my ear. Added Evans e-rings and that softened the overtones / ringing. I like that Doooo, Doooo sound (as decribed on Line by Jared at DRUMEO), with he e-rings , I'm almost there. However, I purchased Evans EC2s for my previous Cheapo (Gammon) kit , and saved those heads before I donated the kit to my 4 year old Grandson. I installed the EC2 on the 12 " Tom and with the e-ring , I think I got the sound i want. I will experiment with the 16" Floor Tom today. If that yields the same results, then I will order the 10 " and 14" batter heads. I returned to playing after 50 Years (1969) and back then I did none of this : replacing heads, Tweaking /Tuning my cheapo kit. I guess my remaining question is : Why do I still need some muffling (e-rings) to get me there? Do most people use some sort of Muffling application (Moongels, e-rimngs, Gatt Tape, etc) to Get There ? THX Foks, Be well. Take care. Don't Get COVID. I and my wife DID , it's no Picnic.
For muffling you can use moon gels or gel clings. Tape will also work, and if you need more muffling you can get a tissue, fold it, an sandwich it between the drum head and the tape.

C-man,
Couple of things immediately jump out....swapping heads from one kit to another doesn't always work. The heads form themselves to the bearing edge of drum 'A' and therefore do not always seat themselves properly on the (probably different) bearing edge on drum 'B' making them hard (er) to tune up properly. New heads are an expense but unless you are pounding your drums for hours on end everyday they will last you, so it's probably worth getting all new ones.
The ringing that you hear is what carries the tone to the audience. Stand 'out front' whilst someone else plays your drums and they will sound totally different to what you hear sat behind them. Not important when you are just playing to yourself for fun as you are, so to answer your question - yes you would need muffling of some sort to take that ringing away (from the throne point of view) . Muffle them as you have been and don't worry about it, all that matters in your situation is getting a sound from the throne that you like and inspires you to play.
The dooo sound you seek is achieved by tuning the reso head higher than the batter.

Last edited:
I have had clear Emperors on my kit in the past and have clear Pinstripes now. Pinstripes deliver exactly the sound you're looking for.
Had EC2's on an other kit in the past and found that the EC2's sound a bit higher pitched and more plasticy sounding. Much more prefer clear Pinstripes.

I feel Remo heads are warmer sounding than Evans.

I feel Evans heads sound brighter than Remo

I'm not saying one is better than the other. These are just my obs.

Honestly, if you blindfolded me and told me I had to guess which is the pinstripe and which is the EC2, I would fail miserably.

I don't get the blindfold thing, if you know your drums you can tell ,,,, the differences.

C-man,
Couple of things immediately jump out....swapping heads from one kit to another doesn't always work. The heads form themselves to the bearing edge of drum 'A' and therefore do not always seat themselves properly on the (probably different) bearing edge on drum 'B' making them hard (er) to tune up properly. New heads are an expense but unless you are pounding your drums for hours on end everyday they will last you, so it's probably worth getting all new ones.
The ringing that you hear is what carries the tone to the audience. Stand 'out front' whilst someone else plays your drums and they will sound totally different to what you hear sat behind them. Not important when you are just playing to yourself for fun as you are, so to answer your question - yes you would need muffling of some sort to take that ringing away (from the throne point of view) . Muffle them as you have been and don't worry about it, all that matters in your situation is getting a sound from the throne that you like and inspires you to play.
The dooo sound you seek is achieved by tuning the reso head higher than the batter.
KEEF, true words of Wisdom, man. I would also add in my perticular case, since I do not play Gigs (who knows maybe a Geriatric Band locally by me may form?? :):) ]. For what it is worth, I installed the 16 " Clear EC2 batter head on the PDP Floor tom and the 12" Rack Tom ( I had that heads as described in my earlier post), using the Evans E-Ring, and I'm There with that drum. I did order the Remo Emperor Clear batter heads for all the toms (nice deal at Sweetwater), installed the 14" batter head on that Floor Tom. I don't know the exact specs on the ply Thickness , the EC2s feel a little thicker than the Remos. Using the E-Rings on all 3 drums, out of the gate, I Think the ECs are more to my liking, But I will do some more tuning to each to determine better comparison. I returned to playing Drums after 50 Years (1969 when our garage band of HS buddies broke up and moved on.... I lived in an apartment with parents and had nowhere to keep my Set), in 2019. I had no idea about Drum heads, types, qualities, etc., and no real clue at all about "tuning" . The InterWeb is a marvelous thing as a learning tool!!. My initial comparison of the Clear Batter heads vs. the Evans G2 Coated is the coated heads do sound a bit "warmer" than the Clears, at least on this maple kit. The Clears offer a bit louder, thuddier sound. At the end of the day, I am trying to keep this as a Pleasure and not drive me too crazy. I am a person with an Obsessive Nature :):). Suffering with Chronic pains and Stiffness from spinal arthritis doesn't help, but still being able to play Drums is a big satisfaction and although against my pain management doctor's advice, is a joy to me.
FTR, I play to My Music: Beatles, Blind Faith [can't touch Baker's Solos], Cars, CCR, Clapton, Sheryl Crow, CSN, Doobie Bros.,Eagles, Etheridge , Fleetwood mac, Grandfunk RR, Hollies, Kinks, Mellencamp, Mettalica, Bonnie Rait, Linda Ronstadt, Springsteen, Stones, Talking Heads, Ten Years After (and many Alvin Lee tunes , TYA were my favorite band way back when), Traffic, Van Morrison, The Who [ some parts - Keith Moon was aon another level], S. Winwood, and some more. Led Zep left out bc I Can't touch Bonham. YET :):).

But no matter how I tweak and Tune the Toms, I can't get to that "sweet spot" at least to my ear.
How much attention & effort have been given to the resonant heads through your trials?

If you want a THUD with tone, the reso head at tuned in its lower/lowest register really helps.

And regarding batter head design, the Evans EC (”edge control”) is their mimic of Remo Pinstrips. The fabric at the perimeter of the head reduces the overtones, providing a more fundamental note (less harmonics). The “O-rings” and “Rem-O” work a bit in this regard but don’t seem as effective to me.

Another thing to consider is that the drum sound you are chasing is the result of studio manipulation, specifically in how punchy & short each note from the toms are. You can apply dampening to shorten the decay with Moongel, Snareweight, tape & felt, etc.. In the extreme is the Evans Hydraulic heads, which I’ve never tried but have been curious about for years.

Coated heads do reduce the brightness of tone, but also much less stick attack. In the realm of metal drumming, I would think a clear head that’s been dampened will provide a better punch than a coated head.

If you feel like you’re chasing your tail, just work on the 14” or 16” tom. When you get a head & tension combo you like, apply that to the other drums.

Back