Will Calhoun

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of all the things he has been involved in over the years, but yeah I do think he is a great drummer. He did superb work on the Living Colour stuff.

I've been a fan of he and the band since 1986, all of them are great players. My wife got pictures with him and Doug Wimbish at the NAMM show not too long ago.

Yeah, I'm quite a fan of his. Will and Danny Carey are probably my two main drum/electronic influences.​

Just saw him with Living Colour this past weekend....man, he's still got it! Just perfect powerhouse rock drumming, inspiring!!

Def love Will Calhoun!!! The video in this thread is great as is pretty much all his videos. What I like is that it's not just another video of him going HAM on what people call "Gospel Chops" which to me is strange to call cause I grew up calling one's ability to play chops, and what they do I would call shredding (like guitarist) anyways another thread another day.

So growing up in a suburb of Kansas city, I heard about new CDs from the critique section of Modern Drummer magazine or if they said something on the radio. No social media, no internet. I remember reading about Calhoun's first solo CD "Housework" and was like "I need this". fast forward to college 98-99, sophomore year I'm in the pep band for the Men's Basketball team. We get a bid to the NCAA Tournament. 1st and 2nd rounds are in Charlotte, NC we win both rounds. We head to the Reginals in Rutherford, NJ. We lose to Duke, of course. Anyways while there we got a free day in NYC, so me and the other drummer are out and about and head to a local drum shop. Looking around having fun, on the checkout counter is Copies of the CD for sale!!!! So I bought it right away. Mind you in the 4 years it had been out I couldn't find it anywhere else.
I still have the CD!!!

also learned something later that day. We went into an "electronics" store, looking around and I saw a CD player that was cooler than anything I'd seen. So I asked the guy working there how much, and after he negotiated (for both of us, lol) I was walking out with a sweet CD player at what I thought was a great deal. Found out through Circuit City that evening he had "negotiated" back down to what the CD player was actually worth. HAHAHA I was 19, never been to New York or a big city really, so what can you do!!

I came away with a life lesson you can't google, a cool cd player, a great CD from Will Calhoun and a fun story i'll remember forever.

To sum it all up, Will Calhoun is great!!!

thanks for reading.

J

Remember him demonstrating it at The Messe about 12 years ago.

Gotta love Living Colour. Always doing their own thing. "Pride" is up there with "Whole Lotta Love."

Don't get to play much of their music in bars, but "Love Rears it's Ugly Head" is genrally kosher.

Been a fan since I saw Living Colour at CBGB in 1986. What an incredible gig that was.

I recently picked up two of his solo (jazz!) records, "Celebrating Elvin Jones" and "Life In This World", and they are both excellent. Stellar playing all around, and a great line-up.

One of the greats for sure!

Yup. Grew up on a healthy portion of MTV during its heyday. I bought the release Vivid just like a lot of other people did at the time. What a great recording that package is. Some heavy hitting by Will Calhoun there. At the summer fair the year of the release, I'll never forget the carny dude who operated the "Hell Hole" ride, he played that album over and over and over. It was awesome!

As for the linked video starting this thread, what a mindbender!

I have been wondering for years how much longer he would stick to Mapex. Now he pulled the trigger.

If he is such a Jones fan, he could just as well have switched to Tama. Just saying...

Back