Will Calhoun

Later in his career he played Tama.
And then Yamaha.

Will started out with Pearl. Switched to Sonor. Then Mapex. And I think he's been a "free" agent for almost 2 years. He announced leaving Mapex on Twitter on Nov. 17th, 2018. So .... he's been shopping.

I picture a millenial YouTuber that's obsessed with getting 'likes' reading this thread and wondering... "Who?"

Last edited:
Gretsch , Gretsch......here there everywhere. It’s like some cosmic omen and now my duty to order me a Renown bop kit. Forces beyond my control - it’s brain control. I.....can’t............resist ....the power of the force.

I get a chuckle out of these pro guys who get endorsements with just about every brand over the course of their careers. It really messes with the fan boys' heads. I think Carmine Appice is the king though. I swear that dude switches every year!

His kit is wild - It's like a new kit built straight from the earrrrrly 80s - If had the direct shell mounting - the crazy deep power toms - one concert tom - and the internal mufflers.

Had I saw that kit for sale there's no way I'd guess it was brand new. Pretty cool!!

He also played Yamaha after that.
True.

Some people switch rather often (Appice, lately McBrain) some others stick with their brand for pretty much lifetime (Gadd, Phillips, Smith). I belong to the latter group. A drum is a drum is a drum.

True.

Some people switch rather often (Appice, lately McBrain) some others stick with their brand for pretty much lifetime (Gadd, Phillips, Smith). I belong to the latter group. A drum is a drum is a drum.
I suppose in music industry world, it’s just a support contract. If you’re relevant and people look to you for inspiration, then those companies you represent will keep you around as long as they can (like Vinnie), if you’re not, then they tie you to a few years and when it’s up, it’s up. It’s just business.

How silly. What kind of heads dose he use? The sound comes from the heads!!!! LOL

I have the Luna and the Ambient rides, plus the Mad Hats and the Alien Disc. They're all great cymbals.

The Luna is what I call my "Musical Anvil". It's thick, heavy and musical. Great for its cutting bell and bow. A very HEAVY METAL ride for cutting applications.

The Ambient is lighter and dryer. A little "gong-y" and trashy. Probably best suited for jazzy or fusion applications. There are a few YouTube videos out there.

I would really like to play on a Desert Ride as well, but it's a special order cymbal from Sabian so... finding it is probably very unlikely.
Figured I'd reply a few years after. I have the Ambient and Lunar rides now and LOVE them. the Ambient is my go-to for most music. The Lunar is what I tend to use when playing fast hardcore/punk. Its like a more musical version of the older Z series stuff. Thanks for the reply (back in 2014!)

I remember specifically when Vivid was released. MTV had their various videos playing all the time. Best memory though, was in that same summer of 1988 @ the Pennsylvania State Fair, the operator of the amusement ride the "Scrambler," had Vivid blaring at high decibels through the speakers. He would turn it up even louder once the ride started. Between the loud music and the centrifugal forces experienced on the body due to the ride itself, this turned out to be my favorite ride the whole week it was in town. Never forget that.

I love Will and the first three LC albums. Have to admit not paying attention past them, but I did hear a cover of Back In Black that they did. Let’s just say that Will and Phil aren’t interchangeable, but Will is still fantastic.

Back