What's the best snare you have tried?

The best snare I’ve tried/owned is my Oriollo 1.2mm spun brass Encore. It’s just an amazingly musical instrument....so sensitive and so much warmth and character.

Another that really stuck with me is a 20s 2pc brass in 6.5” we used in a shootout. That thing was an absolute low end monster.

Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14 - no question.

I have JN TKO in same size and various other high-end snares (Crav, Dunnett etc). They are fine drums, and more refined in some ways, but I always come back to the BB as the overall finest balance of tone, sensitivity and feel.

I am waiting to see if a new Jenkins-Martin snare can topple the BB though.

I love my pearl free floating brass doubt I'll ever play another snare. I have had old ludwig supraphonic, dw, mapex, pearl masters, and various others throughout the years. The reason I know this free floater is so good is that it sounds great even with old heads and lugs out of tune. It is very crisp marching drum sounding but that is what I'm into. It is an older one where the strainer extends outside of the rim I read somewhere that one is special and it is to me. Usually use powerstroke3 on it no other muffling.

Craviotto single ply 6.5X14 is number one.

My Black Beauty is the one I have used in the studio the most, but I don't like the sound of it live or when in the practice room.

My 1978 Supraphonic.
There's just something magical about it.

Attachments

• 1978 Supra a.jpg
    1978 Supra a.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 470
I played a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple snare that sounded pretty magical.

I love my pearl free floating brass doubt I'll ever play another snare. I have had old ludwig supraphonic, dw, mapex, pearl masters, and various others throughout the years. The reason I know this free floater is so good is that it sounds great even with old heads and lugs out of tune. It is very crisp marching drum sounding but that is what I'm into. It is an older one where the strainer extends outside of the rim I read somewhere that one is special and it is to me. Usually use powerstroke3 on it no other muffling.

My number 2 pick.
I own 10 of them.

To be serious.

I have 10 keepers. Not all are equally versatile without doing someting more to them, but I have them for a reason.

I'll choose one that I actually don't own, but that I've played a lot, a 5x14 Craviotto maple.

My Sakae Trilogy 3 ply Maple/Poplar/Maple. This is my go to snare as it just seems to be made for me. Warm, good tone, nice crack. I generally seem to get on better with lighter shells.

My Pearl (Limited Edition) Kapur snare, 14x6.5".
Has such a nice dry tone to it, but you can really crank it up so it produces a great 'pop' sound you normally get from piccolos, but due to size and depth it has more body to it. Sensitive response from the snares as well when playing ghostnotes.

The other snare i really like was in a practice place a year or 2 back. Was a Ludwig Supralite 14x5.5". Also tuned high and very similar sound as the Kapur snare, but a sharper sound due to the material used for the shell. Maybe get that one someday!

My number 2 pick.
I own 10 of them.

Wow why would you need 10 of them? Makes me want to try your number one pick If it's good enough for buddy indeed. My favorite sticks for years have been the vic firth buddy rich signatures.

I've got to agree with this one. I've got 10 FFs in different shell compositions and depths but the copper 6.5" is my favorite. The 2nd would be my Oriollo Phantom.

You have 10 too? I am definitely not buying a second I can see it leads to at least 8 more :)

I will chose a wood shell and a metal shell

Wood :
Noble and Cooley Walnut SS -6 x 14” - 8 lug snare is the nicest sounding snare to my ear, I have ever played and owned . It does everything I want from a wood shell snare

Metal :
Ludwig 5 x 14 engraved Black Beauty. This snare amazes me every time I put it on the snare stand. It can cover any style well.

Attachments

• 9BBDFB49-0705-4383-830D-9A98789BF5A1.jpeg
    9BBDFB49-0705-4383-830D-9A98789BF5A1.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 388
Back