Coated Powestroke 3 for Bass Drum

Stvst29

Hello I am interested in getting a coated powerstroke 3 as a batter head on bass drum. What is your take on this head?

Great heads mate. Although I'm currently using the clear PS3 on the batter and a Fiberskyn PS3 on the reso, I have used the coated as a batter numerous times in the past. My favourite bass drum heads. They will see you right, no doubt about it.

Also played those heads for a few years. Great heads. I do favor the coated more though, its general pitch is lower because of the coating. Either would do, though.

I've tried many and this is the head I always go back to. Nothing sounds as good, IMO. Tuned well on a good drum, nothing can match it. I have a clear on my 24" Classic Maple kick right now and it brings the house down. I like to combine it with an un-ported coated ambassador as a reso. That combo seems magical to my ears.

I've tried many and this is the head I always go back to. Nothing sounds as good, IMO. Tuned well on a good drum, nothing can match it. I have a clear on my 24" Classic Maple kick right now and it brings the house down. I like to combine it with an un-ported coated ambassador as a reso. That combo seems magical to my ears.

I'm curious, how is a PS3 out front as a reso in sound and everything in comparison to an Ambassador because it has no muffling? I've heard bass drums with two 10-mil single ply heads front and back and it just sounds boingy and blah most of the time... not sure if it's the tuning, but I've always been curious what having it as a reso would be like.

Is it just more sustain and boom than if I kept a PS3 on the reso side?

And by the way: I love the coated PS3 I have on my Force 3007 bass drum, it's a 20" and it sounds bigger and punchier than all but one bass drum I've ever heard in the area... which is a 22" 2007 with the same head combo. Boo muffling, hooray PS3!

I'm curious, how is a PS3 out front as a reso in sound and everything in comparison to an Ambassador because it has no muffling? I've heard bass drums with two 10-mil single ply heads front and back and it just sounds boingy and blah most of the time... not sure if it's the tuning, but I've always been curious what having it as a reso would be like.

Is it just more sustain and boom than if I kept a PS3 on the reso side?!

I notice less sustain and boom with a PS3 on both sides...but remember that I put a very small pillow up against the batter head (not the reso). The coated amb. reso gives the kick some extra "bite". It sounds more cavernous and just seems to compliment a clear PS3 perfectly. I do this on my Classic Maples as well as the Gretsch Renown kit that I have...it sounds amazing on both kicks.

I notice less sustain and boom with a PS3 on both sides...but remember that I put a very small pillow up against the batter head (not the reso). The coated amb. reso gives the kick some extra "bite". It sounds more cavernous and just seems to compliment a clear PS3 perfectly. I do this on my Classic Maples as well as the Gretsch Renown kit that I have...it sounds amazing on both kicks.

I think I may try an Ambassador then next head change... or maybe Evans equivalents and such, I don't know. I haven't had PS3 issues like I hear a lot of people have at all but the frosty coating on a bass drum head from the EQ4 interests me.

I think I may try an Ambassador then next head change... or maybe Evans equivalents and such, I don't know. I haven't had PS3 issues like I hear a lot of people have at all but the frosty coating on a bass drum head from the EQ4 interests me.

I tried the clear EQ4 w/ a coated EQ1 reso on the same kick - not as good. To mean, Evans heads just sound like they're missing a whole range of frequencies right in the mids. I'm not sure how else to explain it. They lack body, IMO. I want to like them but I always swap them back out for Remos, in the end.

What issues Chaos? I thought they were one of the more reliable heads out there. Always have been in my experience at least.

Something about them not being quite correctly sized and not seating or even fitting well on the bass drum? Unless it's not the PS3 and I thought it was... Never had that problem. Maybe because I have Force 3007s, and Sonor does the slightly undersized shell thing.

I tried the clear EQ4 w/ a coated EQ1 reso on the same kick - not as good. To mean, Evans heads just sound like they're missing a whole range of frequencies right in the mids. I'm not sure how else to explain it. They lack body, IMO. I want to like them but I always swap them back out for Remos, in the end.

Isn't the EQ1 7-mil with a control ring and vents though? That possibly could've taken away from the sound as opposed to using a G1 as a reso... hmmm.

I've had SK1's, SK2s, and EMADs, and then I got a coated PS3. It's my all time favorite. I'm planning on pairing it with a Coated Ambassador out front. It's a really cool sound that not a lot of people try, but I've only ever gotten compliments, and I was a fan of the tone as soon as I put it on. Don't be afraid to tune those heads tight like Bonham, it will really boom.

I've had SK1's, SK2s, and EMADs, and then I got a coated PS3. It's my all time favorite. I'm planning on pairing it with a Coated Ambassador out front. It's a really cool sound that not a lot of people try, but I've only ever gotten compliments, and I was a fan of the tone as soon as I put it on. Don't be afraid to tune those heads tight like Bonham, it will really boom.

Amen! ThasswhatI'mtalkin'bout!

yeah, these are awesome on vintage 22X14 kicks with a smooth white PS3 on the front, which is the nicest, warmest sounding kick reso I've heard from Remo.

Back