Gavin Harrison here!

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice Gavin.

Just a couple more less specific questions. Do you have any sort of conscious process for creativity? I don't just mean your contributions as a working drummer, but musical composition/artistry in general. For example, do you wait for ideas to occur naturally and keep a record of them? Or do you allot time specifically for generating ideas? Perhaps through improvisation? There seems to be a lot of literature available regarding creativity and lateral thinking, but sadly far more in practical/problem solving areas rather than artistic endeavours. You've mentioned playing other instruments......

Hi Gavin!

Will there be any updates regarding the PT's new album some time soon? I'm thrilled to hear more about it....

By the way.. Have you heard about the drummer Benny Greb? If so, what do you think of his playing? I recently bought his new dvd. Very inspiring stuff!

Cheers!

Ah yes I still need to pick that one up. I've heard some good reviews about it.

Gavin.Is.Better. - I'm in Yorkshire too, fancy a jam? (by that I mean play along!!) :D

Just about to get some tickets for your Porcupine Tree Leeds show! Long way away though :(

Last edited:
Hi Gavin, nice to have you here..

I am a 38 year old guy from No(r)way who just started to play drums again, one of the reasons is ofcourse the drumming on "Mother and child divided" the song that made me aware of PT.. and you.. :) Saw you guys in Oslo last time (Both actually) and went to the Forum in London Nov 2007. Got ticket to Hammersmith as well.. really looking forward to that show.
Well my question is rather novice.. hehe do you have any tip/trick regarding foot/hand independence??

Graeme

Gavin,
Just wondering how you are liking your new Black Swamp snare? I heard the clips that you sent over and I must say that it sounds great, as does your playing. Will it be strictly a studio drum, or are you thinking about bringing on the road?
Also,how things were going on the new Porcupine Tree recordings. Last I heard, the band was in the studio. Are you still writing and tracking it, or has it moved into the mixdown stage?
Thanks,
Mike Arpin

Hi Steve Gregson

Do you have any sort of conscious process for creativity? I don't just mean your contributions as a working drummer, but musical composition/artistry in general. For example, do you wait for ideas to occur naturally and keep a record of them? Or do you allot time specifically for generating ideas? Perhaps through improvisation?

Sometimes I have to come up with something on the spot (in a session situation) and anything could spark an idea - maybe the song reminds me of something - maybe the melody or bass line makes me think about a rhythmic pattern. I suppose we all have a subconscious editor in our minds - avoiding things that you think are cliche or un-hip - and sometimes just avoiding those things will bring you to your destination. Some days can be a struggle - if I'm totally uninspired by the music I've been asked to play (I'm trying to avoid being in those situations - but it has happened). Other times I just improvise at home and things just accidentally happen - and then I record them into the 'ideas bank'.

Hi DTrocks

Will there be any updates regarding the PT's new album some time soon? I'm thrilled to hear more about it.

I'm starting to record the drums tomorrow - so I might not be on this thread for the next week or so.

By the way.. Have you heard about the drummer Benny Greb? If so, what do you think of his playing? I recently bought his new dvd. Very inspiring stuff!

Yes I know Benny - he's great and I'm looking forward to seeing his new DVD.

Hi Funnyguy1970

Well my question is rather novice.. hehe do you have any tip/trick regarding foot/hand independence??

Firstly try to play things perfectly together - play both hands in 16ths on a practise pad and make sure there's absolutely no flams. There's no quick tip/trick to independence you just have to work at it for years.

Hi ctdrum1

Just wondering how you are liking your new Black Swamp snare? I heard the clips that you sent over and I must say that it sounds great, as does your playing. Will it be strictly a studio drum, or are you thinking about bringing on the road?

I'm really enjoying it. Eric kindly made me a beautiful 5 lever snare drum. It's a work of art. I think it will be something I play in a recording kind of way.

Hi Kalma

you have one set in earth finish, right? is it painted in highloss?

Yes and it's finished in high gloss.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I've been practicing with a metronome for a couple years and i had this thought the other day: Is it possible that by practicing with a metronome, you can develop a metronome-dependence? Like maybe you depend on a metronome to be able to keep steady time?

I have no doubt that playing with a metronome makes you better at, well, playing with a metronome. But does just playing with a metronome make you better at keeping steady time when playing without a metronome? Are there any specific excercises for that?

I ask this because since i started playing/practicing with a metronome, i started to notice that when playing without one, my time isn't that steady anymore. I'm thinking that maybe that happens because i may be developing "metronome-dependence", but then again, maybe it's the fact that by playing with a metronome, i've started to develop a better ear for time, and i start to see flaws in my playing that i didn't see before.

I realize that this whole "metronome-dependence" idea may be ridiculous, but i'd love to hear (read) your take on this.

Cheers!

Studying Music

Gavin,

I saw some of your interviews on YouTube from PASIC 2008. I must say you are the most humble and modest drummer I've ever seen an interview with. No ego, no "holier than thou" attitude, really a pleasure to see.

One quick question for ya:
When studying a piece of music that you will play, let's say "Discipline" by King Crimson, how would you go about playing the song without feeling the need to copy the groove of Bill Bruford? Do you have access to a "no drum track" recording of the song?

There's plenty of TOOL songs I'd love to put my own beats to, but I can't help but play some of the same notes that the drummer (Danny Carey) does... this question has been bugging me for some time, so I thought I'd ask a real professional.

Thanks for all your inspiration to me and all the other drummers here and out there in the world.

Hi loser_user

have you received your Kickport and tried it out yet? I'm interested in your experiences because I ordered one as well (still waiting).

Yes it arrived a week ago. I installed it and couldn't hear any difference from my playing position. I'm going to a very big studio next week - so I will try to see if it makes a difference to the microphones out the front of the kit.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,
how were your experiences with the kickport in the studio? Do you still use it? For my bassdrum sound it is a real improvement. In our rehearsal room (not the best accoustic) I receive a deep, fat, wet sound with a better defintion and punch (also behind the kit) even with the lowest possible pitch. I could remove all the damping material (a woolen blanket). Just the batter head EVANS 22" EMAD2 CLEAR is damped from outside with the foam rubber ring. I can recommend the kickport.

Gavin,
Also,how things were going on the new Porcupine Tree recordings. Last I heard, the band was in the studio. Are you still writing and tracking it, or has it moved into the mixdown stage?
Thanks,
Mike Arpin

Hi! Really make a "black swamp snare"? Where do i can heard it?

Hey Gavin,
I was looking at your drumset. On the left side there's a stand with 5 splashes or cup chimes on it. What kind of stand is that? Is it a crotale stand with splashes on it? I'm just wondering because the Paiste 2002 Cup Chime 5-Piece Cymbal set is the closest I've been able to find to the 5 piece stand you have there, but the heights are different.
Thanks,
Stan

Hello Gavin,

I just watched a video on youtube where you played Futile from your Rhythmic Horizons DVD, and somebody said in a comment that you completely stopped practicing rudiments. This can't be true right?

This is the comment i'm talking about:
"What I really love about this guy is his coordination. He doesn't even practice rudiments or exercise his arms or legs, it just flows out of his mind straight onto the set. Mind over matter"

As a professional drummer you need to keep practicing your rudiments, right? I know you stopped focussing on technique, but stopping completely? I think that guy is someone who does not know where he's talking about.

Hidde.

Hey Gavin,
I was looking at your drumset. On the left side there's a stand with 5 splashes or cup chimes on it. What kind of stand is that? Is it a crotale stand with splashes on it? I'm just wondering because the Paiste 2002 Cup Chime 5-Piece Cymbal set is the closest I've been able to find to the 5 piece stand you have there, but the heights are different.
Thanks,
Stan

Looks to me like it's his own creation. Nice little addition. sounds sweet.

Hey Gavin,
Just stopping in to say what everyones been saying, congrats on all the albums you have worked on, your material is truely inspiring. Found out about yourself and PT about 6 months ago and I'm hooked!

Two quick equipment questions for you! About two months ago I was fortunate enough to pick up a 12x5 Designer snare on Ebay and as you are the only other person I know who owns one, what head would you recommend? Currently it has a coated Ambassador on it but I'm thinking Controlled sound or Emporer X? I originally was goin to use it as an aux. snare but I have tried a few gigs with it as the primary one and its serving me well!
Lovely wee drum! Second question is a bit more random and you might not remember but it's cool, but what Ride were you using for 'Strip the Soul'? was just listening to it the other night and was digging the bell sound!

Thanks anyway for reading, take care now!

Nige

P.S come to N. Ireland for a jam!

Back