Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, I have a question about snare tuning.

I've looked on askgavinharrison.com and searched this thread but can't find what I'm looking for;

How do you tune the reso head compared to the batter on a;

12" snare?

13" snare?

and 14" snare?

Thanks a lot, Phil :)

Gavin,

Quick question about "Break". That light shuffling I hear between the snare and hi-hat -- especially in the intro (before vocals), are those 8th note double strokes or some kind of paradiddle? It's very light and quick but also very difficult to tell exactly what you're playing.

I've read in another thread on here that the verse of Unsettled is 7/16 + 5/16, wouldn't that be the same as 12/16th's? Or is it a bar of 7/16 followed by a bar of 5/16's?

Thanks and take care

Eric

Hi Gavin!

Regarding the next PT dvd, is there a possibility of a blu-ray version? I always thought it would be the next logical step for the band, since you've been in touch with the lastest technologies for audio and video in your records and tours.

Have a great 2010 full of blessings, health and success for PT and all your future projects!
Oh, also: Come to South America in 2010!

See ya!
Heitor.

Hi Phil Brodermann

I have a question about snare tuning.
How do you tune the reso head compared to the batter on a;
12" snare? 13" snare? and 14" snare?

I don't have a particular interval that I tune any of those drums to - but what I can tell you is that I tune the reso side quite a bit higher than the batter side.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quick question about "Break". That light shuffling I hear between the snare and hi-hat -- especially in the intro (before vocals), are those 8th note double strokes or some kind of paradiddle? It's very light and quick but also very difficult to tell exactly what you're playing.

I think maybe you're hearing the 32nds - basically they are inverted doubles - but it's all explained in high detail on the forthcoming "Rhythmic Designs" book/dvd.

I've read in another thread on here that the verse of Unsettled is 7/16 + 5/16, wouldn't that be the same as 12/16th's? Or is it a bar of 7/16 followed by a bar of 5/16's?

Yes it could be thought of as 12/16 or 3/4 or 6/8 but the intention is 7/16 followed by a bar of 5/16. All time signatures could be written in a number of ways - but they are there to help you get a grip on the way it's meant to be perceived. Of course the audience can't hear the bar lines - but the right bar lines in the right place can make something a lot easier to understand/read and play.

Hi Heitor

Regarding the next PT dvd, is there a possibility of a blu-ray version?

yes there is a good possibility this time. We're working on it.

cheers
Gavin

Hi SantiBanks

Interesting device! Im curious to hear your findings. What do you think is the main advantage of feeling the vibration of this device instead of a click track in the ear?

I think you've answered the question with your question. I'm sure most of us would rather not have a barking loud click in our ears.
cheers
Gavin

I understand :) Do you have your click set very loud?

ptinht.jpg

Sorry for the delay. This article was printed a day after you left :).
Tonnes of typos and misinformation.
Let me know if you want a higher resolution pic.
I think you might be pleased to know that facebook is flooded with posts and comments on how awesome the show was.
Thanks for coming down :) and
*insert polyrhythmic drum roll here* Happy New Year

Happy new year to everybody!!!
Gavin i hope you have another great musical year and write for us many great albums as you are used to!
As far as i know you and 05ric are preparing the new album right? When do you believe it will be available for us?

sorry to go a bit offtopic here, but there is a song on the list called "bread"? what's that about?

:p hehe thats included in the typos and misinformation bit
even i was scratching my head when i read that
i was pretty sure i knew the names of all pt songs and this was positively not one of them
any publicity is good publicity though :)
and this article took up the entire page

Hi Santibanks

Do you have your click set very loud?

Loud enough that it's not that musical. I think I remember that you're not a drummer right?. The problem is that when playing rock drums - they produce so much volume in themselves - that you need the click relatively loud to hear it over all that drum volume. I'm sure no other band member would listen to it anywhere near as loud as the drummer would.

Hi drumbumhamza,
thanks for posting the article. Yes there are some funny mistakes in there. First we didn't make a 7 hour soundcheck - it was closer to 40 minutes - which is unusually long for us.
We didn't play the songs "Deadwing" or "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - but we did have a moment in the show where all the power went off for about 15 seconds in the middle of one of the songs. I think the "Bread" thing should have said "Break" - as that is when we go off stage for a couple of minutes.

Hi shortsman

As far as i know you and 05ric are preparing the new album right? When do you believe it will be available for us?

We've just starting thinking about writing our first new song together. It will be a long time before we're ready to record and release a new record...so please don't hold your breath!

Happy new year everyone.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Santibanks

Do you have your click set very loud?

Loud enough that it's not that musical. I think I remember that you're not a drummer right?. The problem is that when playing rock drums - they produce so much volume in themselves - that you need the click relatively loud to hear it over all that drum volume. I'm sure no other band member would listen to it anywhere near as loud as the drummer would.

That sounds pretty horrible to me. I;m on clicktrack but never need to have it loud as a keyboardplayer (its just for checking if it actually works).

Curious how the vibrating device would work. Please keep us updated here if you (or in general, anyone here) tried it.

We've just starting thinking about writing our first new song together. It will be a long time before we're ready to record and release a new record...so please don't hold your breath!

Cheers
Gavin
Holding the breath should be worth it :) Looking forward to it, whenever it may be released!

Thanks a lot for your time and all the best for the new year!
Santi

cheers gavin

i would like to have your opinion on using electronic drums only for practice. i'm really into buying one only for practice because i don't have any space to practice on acoustic drums

thanks in advance for the answer
cheers

g'day gain, hope you had a great festive season and are ready to tackle australia! on you ned dvd designs, are you using the cymbal felts that you were designing a while ago? cheers Hurlza

Hi marin

i would like to have your opinion on using electronic drums only for practice. i'm really into buying one only for practice because i don't have any space to practice on acoustic drums

Then I think it would be a good idea. I haven't spent anytime practising on electronic drums - but when I've played them in a live situation it was remarkable how different they were in sound and feel to the acoustic set. But its better to practise on them than not to practise at all.

Hi Hurlza

on you ned dvd designs, are you using the cymbal felts that you were designing a while ago? cheers Hurlza

yes i am using them - and I'm still working on the R&D and experimenting with different formulas. when they are ready I'll make an announcement.

cheers
Gavin

I haven't spent anytime practising on electronic drums

I’m sure you would find a unique and great way to do progressive edrumming if you tried and I don’t recall seeing any edrummer who played in a way comparable to yours. It would be great to watch!
I play both acoustic and electronic and I like the possibilities that modern edrums offer, although they of course cannot replace real drums.

Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

I'm sorry if you get asked this question a lot, but I was curious, and no one recently has asked you this, that I can see. But what has been the hardest song you have played with Porcupine Tree? And what is the hardest song you've played in general? Thanks a lot! Have a great new year!

Hi drummer girl09

what has been the hardest song you have played with Porcupine Tree? And what is the hardest song you've played in general?

Do you mean physically or the most difficult? Physically speaking "Anesthetize" is very exhausting to play as is "Deadwing" and "Creator Had A Master Tape". The most difficult would perhaps be the end section of "What Happens Now" but after the first few nights it felt easy - it just took a bit of nerve to pull off something so poly-rhythmically complex. Probably the the most difficult songs I've tried to play live is "Level 5" and "The Construction Of Light" with King Crimson.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin you are one of my favorite drummers and influences. You and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater are my favorite drummers. What do you think of Mike's drumming? and what was it working with Kevin Moore and O.S.I? I enjoyed "Blood"and your drumming deffanitly fits. Cheers.

Hi Gavin!

I wanted to ask you something about "The Blind House". Could you explain the fill you're doing at about 3:30 in the second Chorus?

Thanks, and cheers
huXler

Hey huXler, is this the one?

blindhouse.jpg

It should be something like that, although the toms are probably hit in a different order, and maybe there's some bass drum in there, hope this helps Gavin clarify it for you!
Later.

Fox.

Back