Gavin Harrison here!

Sorry for the delay. This article was printed a day after you left :).
Tonnes of typos and misinformation.
Let me know if you want a higher resolution pic.
I think you might be pleased to know that facebook is flooded with posts and comments on how awesome the show was.
Thanks for coming down :) and
*insert polyrhythmic drum roll here* Happy New Year

shortsman

Happy new year to everybody!!!
Gavin i hope you have another great musical year and write for us many great albums as you are used to!
As far as i know you and 05ric are preparing the new album right? When do you believe it will be available for us?

sorry to go a bit offtopic here, but there is a song on the list called "bread"? what's that about?
:p hehe thats included in the typos and misinformation bit
even i was scratching my head when i read that
i was pretty sure i knew the names of all pt songs and this was positively not one of them
any publicity is good publicity though :)
and this article took up the entire page

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Santibanks

Do you have your click set very loud?

Loud enough that it's not that musical. I think I remember that you're not a drummer right?. The problem is that when playing rock drums - they produce so much volume in themselves - that you need the click relatively loud to hear it over all that drum volume. I'm sure no other band member would listen to it anywhere near as loud as the drummer would.

Hi drumbumhamza,
thanks for posting the article. Yes there are some funny mistakes in there. First we didn't make a 7 hour soundcheck - it was closer to 40 minutes - which is unusually long for us.
We didn't play the songs "Deadwing" or "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - but we did have a moment in the show where all the power went off for about 15 seconds in the middle of one of the songs. I think the "Bread" thing should have said "Break" - as that is when we go off stage for a couple of minutes.

Hi shortsman

As far as i know you and 05ric are preparing the new album right? When do you believe it will be available for us?

We've just starting thinking about writing our first new song together. It will be a long time before we're ready to record and release a new record...so please don't hold your breath!

Happy new year everyone.

Cheers
Gavin

SantiBanks

Hi Santibanks

Do you have your click set very loud?

Loud enough that it's not that musical. I think I remember that you're not a drummer right?. The problem is that when playing rock drums - they produce so much volume in themselves - that you need the click relatively loud to hear it over all that drum volume. I'm sure no other band member would listen to it anywhere near as loud as the drummer would.
That sounds pretty horrible to me. I;m on clicktrack but never need to have it loud as a keyboardplayer (its just for checking if it actually works).

Curious how the vibrating device would work. Please keep us updated here if you (or in general, anyone here) tried it.

We've just starting thinking about writing our first new song together. It will be a long time before we're ready to record and release a new record...so please don't hold your breath!

Cheers
Gavin
Holding the breath should be worth it :) Looking forward to it, whenever it may be released!

Thanks a lot for your time and all the best for the new year!
Santi

marin

cheers gavin

i would like to have your opinion on using electronic drums only for practice. i'm really into buying one only for practice because i don't have any space to practice on acoustic drums

thanks in advance for the answer
cheers

Hurlza

g'day gain, hope you had a great festive season and are ready to tackle australia! on you ned dvd designs, are you using the cymbal felts that you were designing a while ago? cheers Hurlza

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi marin

i would like to have your opinion on using electronic drums only for practice. i'm really into buying one only for practice because i don't have any space to practice on acoustic drums

Then I think it would be a good idea. I haven't spent anytime practising on electronic drums - but when I've played them in a live situation it was remarkable how different they were in sound and feel to the acoustic set. But its better to practise on them than not to practise at all.

Hi Hurlza

on you ned dvd designs, are you using the cymbal felts that you were designing a while ago? cheers Hurlza

yes i am using them - and I'm still working on the R&D and experimenting with different formulas. when they are ready I'll make an announcement.

cheers
Gavin

Joethebeat

I haven't spent anytime practising on electronic drums

I’m sure you would find a unique and great way to do progressive edrumming if you tried and I don’t recall seeing any edrummer who played in a way comparable to yours. It would be great to watch!
I play both acoustic and electronic and I like the possibilities that modern edrums offer, although they of course cannot replace real drums.

Last edited:

drummer girl09

Hey Gavin!

I'm sorry if you get asked this question a lot, but I was curious, and no one recently has asked you this, that I can see. But what has been the hardest song you have played with Porcupine Tree? And what is the hardest song you've played in general? Thanks a lot! Have a great new year!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi drummer girl09

what has been the hardest song you have played with Porcupine Tree? And what is the hardest song you've played in general?

Do you mean physically or the most difficult? Physically speaking "Anesthetize" is very exhausting to play as is "Deadwing" and "Creator Had A Master Tape". The most difficult would perhaps be the end section of "What Happens Now" but after the first few nights it felt easy - it just took a bit of nerve to pull off something so poly-rhythmically complex. Probably the the most difficult songs I've tried to play live is "Level 5" and "The Construction Of Light" with King Crimson.

Cheers
Gavin

protestthedrummer

Hey Gavin you are one of my favorite drummers and influences. You and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater are my favorite drummers. What do you think of Mike's drumming? and what was it working with Kevin Moore and O.S.I? I enjoyed "Blood"and your drumming deffanitly fits. Cheers.

huXler

Hi Gavin!

I wanted to ask you something about "The Blind House". Could you explain the fill you're doing at about 3:30 in the second Chorus?

Thanks, and cheers
huXler

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey huXler, is this the one?

It should be something like that, although the toms are probably hit in a different order, and maybe there's some bass drum in there, hope this helps Gavin clarify it for you!
Later.

Fox.

AAP

Hi Gavin!
What stand you use with those you "home made" cymbals over your Hi-hat?
Its looks like one boom with some holders?
You did great gig at Finland Helsinki (21.10.2009) I was there at front you maybe saw me (boy with long hair staring you whole consert)...
PS sorry my english aren't very good :)

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin!
You did great gig at Finland Helsinki (21.10.2009) I was there at front you maybe saw me (boy with long hair staring you whole consert)...
PS sorry my english aren't very good :)
Hi AAP,

i think he's using his custom made holder or the new sonor basic-arm system sometimes!

Roger//

Hey there Gavin,

Quik question.
At the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 you talking with Simon Phillips right? (interview ect)
I was wondering, did you hear his set up close without mices?
If so, how did it sound? If not, what do you think about his drum-sound in general?
And the combo of clear ambassadors top and bottom on toms and bass drum?

Thank you for the time you take to look and reply the questions I ask you.
Really, wonderfull to see a pro do this. Posting so frequently and patiently.

Not only a great drummer, but a great person too;)

Thanks!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi protestthedrummer

What do you think of Mike's drumming? and what was it working with Kevin Moore and O.S.I? I enjoyed "Blood"and your drumming deffanitly fits.

Mike's great and I've met him a few times now. OSI was great fun to play - I didn't meet Kevin or Jim as I did the whole project at home on my own. It was very much an 'internet relationship' - but I think it came out very well.

HI huXler

I wanted to ask you something about "The Blind House". Could you explain the fill you're doing at about 3:30 in the second Chorus?

I think Fox622003 almost has it right except the last little triplet run I think is
tom, kick, tom flam, kick, tom, kick, snare.

Hi AAP

I used to have custom made ones - but it's been easier to make them in Sonor parts. I had to customize one little thing though. The basic arm which is the cymbal holder needed to be threaded right the way down to the bottom of the shaft on cymbal positions 1,3 & 5. This is so I could get the height differences and have the cymbals overlapping and very close together.

Then I just cut off the excess thread that is standing up above the cymbal. You can see that here before I did the cutting.

IMG_0293.jpg
IMG_0294.jpg

when I break it down I just take off the cymbals and slide the bar out that's holding the 5 cymbal arms - then put it in a case like that.

Hi Roger//

Quik question.
At the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 you talking with Simon Phillips right? (interview ect)
I was wondering, did you hear his set up close without mices?
If so, how did it sound? If not, what do you think about his drum-sound in general?
And the combo of clear ambassadors top and bottom on toms and bass drum?

I did tap his drums backstage to see how they sounded. The heads were on tighter than I expected but they sounded great. It really is part of Simon's sound and I know he's used that head combination for the last 30 years.

cheers
Gavin

David Floegel

Silver Member
Gavin,

could you make some photos of your home-studio? It would be great as I would know how you organized your room.
Also i'd like to see what absorber-stuff you used and how you setted them up!

Thanks
David