Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin - thanks so much for "The Incident" - I'm really enjoying this disc and look forward to seeing it performed in concert (I'm flying up to New York to see the show next week!)

On the CD, you are given credit for "Post Production." What exactly did that entail?

Also, in a recent interview you mentioned using the Korg wave drum. On which track does that appear? Is that used for drum loops for for specific sounds?

Hey everybody,

I figured that there would be a few questions about Gavin's groove on "Bonnie the Cat".

Here's a quick little transcription:

bonniethecatgroove800x6.jpg

Enjoy!

Terry

Hi Swiss Matthias,

Hi Bube

What snare are you playing on Modern Drummer 2008 video? And which heads and snare wires are on it?

Italian Ricky is correct.

Cheers
Gavin (in San Fran).

I'm spending a lot of time in studing this thread Gavin....i cannot forget those things!
and overall here in italy there's bad weather conditions...my drum study room is in danger, because all the rain probably can invade my house's 1st level...so i gotta evacuate my kit...for example my 8" tom is in kitchen! (house 2nd level) =)
and my bassdrum is in one of the 2 bathroom... XD
The only one positive thing is that i got a lot of time to spend on this forum ; )

I just got back from the Club Nokia show in LA and wanted to drop a few comments. The band sounded very locked in. Certainly one of the best sounding performances I've ever heard. My companion leaned over after the first few numbers and commented that it sounded "just like the CD." Yes, but I was noticing lots of little extras coming from the drum kit too. Anyway, thanks for coming all the way out here and putting on such a great show. Hopefully, our rushed clapping during Trains wasn't too off-putting. :)

Also, I could be mistaken but I could swear that I saw Simon Phillips in the VIP section just before the show.

Thank you for your detailed answer, SantiBanks! I get the idea now - I just lacked proper definition of what a gate does. Never thought to use it the other way round (i.e. closing instead of opening beyond a certain threshold).

Thanks again,
semaphore
No problem at all! I could be wrong with the following but from what I remember, the gate was invented as a noise reduction unit which would mean that you always have the gate open and need to close it (as noise is low level—well it should be low level—it would be filtered out if there was no loud signal present)

And Gavin, please pass my compliments to the whole band. The new record had to grow a bit on me but I like most of it. It's a bit of a different legue then FOABP, but nevertheless, very good music. Looking forward to see you guys in Amsterdam!

Maybe a weird question, but do you "practice" songs from bands you like? (something like metheny tune for example).
Just for fun, or maybe as a serious practice for a certain technique or concept?

Hey there Gavin!

Recently say your modern drummer performance and was blown away!
Your kit sounds so close to how i want mine to sound.
Couple of questions if you don't mind?

How do you tune your drums? snare / toms / bass? Low medium high?
what is the balance? Top and bottoms same, one higher?
do you muffle drums?
How do you muffle you bass with the pillow you talk about at Pasic? Only against the batter head? or both heads?
whats the advantage to using less snare's on the bottom of your snare drum?

Thank you for your time! I know these are a lot of questions :p
You're an inspiration to my drumming.

Roger

From The Netherlands

Hi Gavin,

congratulations to the new album. Great stuff. Do you have any news on release date for the Tilburg DVD? Will it be released within this year or do we have to wait?

kind regards,
Phil

hello gavin, greetings from croatia!

i just dropped by to say hello and how great influence you are to me (well, how many times you have heard that :) ).

i got the the incident few days ago; it's great. one of my friends told me that you are one of few bands which are getting better and better as the albums go further. i totally agree. hope to see you guys at the gig in slovenia in november. also, i apologize if my english is not so well.

once more, greetings from croatia
marin

Hi DrummerStan

I've started to learn the Mother and Child divided drum pattern down. Ive got the framework down, just the HH w/ accents, bass, and off-beat snare hit. No ghost notes for now, but Ill work them in soon enough.

Yes it's a fun pattern to play. It's two bars of 4/4 divided as 10/10/10/2

Hi cygnify

Also, in a recent interview you mentioned using the Korg wave drum. On which track does that appear? Is that used for drum loops for for specific sounds?

The Wavedrum is on the early verses of "Remember Me Lover"

Hi Brundlefly

Also, I could be mistaken but I could swear that I saw Simon Phillips in the VIP section just before the show.

Yes Simon came down to the show. What a great guy he is.

Hi Santibanks,

Maybe a weird question, but do you "practice" songs from bands you like? (something like metheny tune for example).
Just for fun, or maybe as a serious practice for a certain technique or concept?

yes sometimes I do play along to records when I have the time.

Hi Roger//

How do you tune your drums? snare / toms / bass? Low medium high?
what is the balance? Top and bottoms same, one higher?
do you muffle drums? whats the advantage to using less snare's on the bottom of your snare drum?

do a search through this thread and you'll find a lot of discussion about it.

How do you muffle you bass with the pillow you talk about at Pasic? Only against the batter head? or both heads?

Usually it touches both heads - but sometimes in studio situations I velcro in a piece of wood inside the shell to stop it touching the front head.

Hi phil_EN

Do you have any news on release date for the Tilburg DVD? Will it be released within this year or do we have to wait?

no news at the moment - we haven't got time to work on it right now because of this tour.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

Sorry for being late to say "Thanx for your answers" but I was away for a while :p

Also the new album sounds PERFECT! I can't choose which is the best track, honestly! But I love a lot the emotion. the whole band emmits, on "I drive the hearse"!

Also one great thing I heard is the illusion you use at the end of "Time Flies". Sounds simple but I think I miss something over here! Maybe Terry could do a transcription ? <3 <3 <3

Thanx once again for your innovative playing :)

Cheers from Greece,
Nikos Pavlou

Circles Transcription?

Gavin,

I haven't logged onto this site in well over 4 months. I do remember you saying that somebody might be transcribing the entire Circles album and posting it here. Did that ever happen? I'm still frustrated over trying to count on the time signatures on the songs. I have made some guesses (i.e. Crisis in 5/4,Scar in 11/8, Break in 12/8)...could be wrong, but I was just curious as to whether or not that transcription has blessed the pages of this forum.

Let me know whenever you get a free chance, thanks so much.

Eric

Re: Circles Transcription?

Gavin,

I haven't logged onto this site in well over 4 months. I do remember you saying that somebody might be transcribing the entire Circles album and posting it here. Did that ever happen? I'm still frustrated over trying to count on the time signatures on the songs. I have made some guesses (i.e. Crisis in 5/4,Scar in 11/8, Break in 12/8)...could be wrong, but I was just curious as to whether or not that transcription has blessed the pages of this forum.

Let me know whenever you get a free chance, thanks so much.

Eric

Gavin and Terry Branam are actually collaborating on a book with his work with 05ric. That's probably what you're thinking of.

The Wavedrum is on the early verses of "Remember Me Lover"

Hi Santibanks,

yes sometimes I do play along to records when I have the time.

Gavin, thanks for the wavedrum information. I had the same question in my mind but you already answered.
In case you might not have heard about it already, Korg plans to put out a new wavedrum, the wavedrum X:
http://futuremusic.com/blog/?p=4385

And nice to read that high profile drummers still play with records now and then :)

Gavin and Terry Branam are actually collaborating on a book with his work with 05ric. That's probably what you're thinking of.
I believe the PT news section stated that there will be a dvd with it too. Looking forward to see this released!

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of your upcoming educational release, Gavin: will there be conceptual material on this new DVD similar to your previous ones, or will it just be like a case study on your work with 05ric?

Hi, I know that this question has probably been asked and answered a hundred times, but can any one tell me what this song is called? Are there charts available for it? Thanks! Sorry, but 91 pages is a lot to go through.

First off, thank you Gavin for your reply.
I found some things about tuning indeed.
I just have one more question and then i'm ok.
ok, here goes...

How do you tension the drums?
Toms / Snare/ Bass
And I mean. Is for example your snare bottom tighter than the top? ect ect

Thanks a lot!

Btw: tried some Axis pedals. Really nice indeed. But exspensive though...
Do you get an endorsment from Axis or do you pay for your pedals?

Cheers

Roger

Back