Gavin Harrison here!

Hi steste50

what amplifier do u use with your Yamaha NS10's? What else do u see they use in studios for these monitors?

I use a Yamaha AX-396 amplifier - but to be honest i almost never listen to the NS10s anymore. I prefer the Mackie HR824s. Sometimes I see people using the old Quad amp with NS10s.

Hi Tesseract

1. Which had the greatest impact on your musical development & why?

Everything has had an impact on my musical development - it's hard to pin point what was the greatest.

2. If you could go back in time and start your musical career all over again what changes would you make knowing what you know now?

I wish I had studied piano - and I wish I'd spent more hours working on my timing when I was young - neither of which I wanted to do at the time.

Hi SantiBanks

I'm helping out a friend with recording his SQ2 setup (same layout to yours) and I was wondering how you place your overheads in the studio?

Right behind and above my head as if they were an extension of my ears.

Also, I noticed that the snare gives a little bit of resonance in some of the toms, mostly the 8" tom. Its not annoying or anything but I think I can hear it in your snare sound too on your latest dvd. Does your mic pick up that resonance and do you leave it in the drummix?

All the toms are ringing all the time - I just except that's all part of the sound of the drum kit as an overall instrument. When you play one note on a real acoustic piano - you can hear the other strings ringing too. Therefore I don't like to gate or cut the toms in a mix.

Hi crystalfunky

Great great video from guitarcenter sessions.

Thanks - for anyone who hasn't seen that video yet - here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedjJzQu6Lk

When you play e.g. "Quite firm" i can really feel your groove and thats what i like the most when i'm listening to drummers. Is there any kind of project coming up where you play this kind of music?

Yes I recently made another 'big band' track with the excellent Laurence Cottle (who also wrote and arranged "Quite Firm"). In fact I played it on the recent Guitar Center Session clinic. Let's hope they upload it sometime.

Hi sonorplayer

I know you're not a fan of drum dials. But just as a point of reference for me can you give me a rough idea of where each of your toms and snares are tuned to? For example, would your main snare be tuned really high to 90, or low at around 80? And how high is the reso in relation to the batter side?

I tried the drum dial thing but it made no sense to me - so I got rid of it. Therefore I can't help you with settings.

Also, i'm getting a lot of snare buzz when I hit my 10 tom tom. I'm thinking of getting the PureSound Custom Pro 20 strand for both snares because I've heard you get less buzz from it. Have you tried it out? Any thoughts?

As Kalma points out - this has been asked and answered quite a few times already.

If you remember, a while back I was asking you about Giant Step pedals. I ended up buying a single pedal. I like the pedal but I kinda like the feel of the direct drive pedals a bit more. I can get the Axis A21 cheaper than a Giant Step double. I was wondering if you're now using the A21 and what your thoughts on it are?

The A21s are something I'm still experimenting with - along with other pedals and settings. The differences between pedals are really a personal preference - and the inadequacies and inconsistencies of my feet make far bigger difference. I can set a pedal up great one day and it feels great - and my feet are playing well on them. Following morning - I'm really struggling to play anything on them. If I spent a lot more time practising on the pedals maybe my feet wouldn't be so temperamental.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I know you use a Mackie 32:8 board, I have read your S on S interview from '99 and I have searched all places possible(here's your shot Kalma).

In Short; what pre-amps do you use at present for your studio mic's? Still the Mackie's? Or do you use different pre's on the way into the Mac tower?
I know you like to keep things simple so is the signal path still: mic to board to Apogee to Mac?

Thank you for keeping up with us "little folk" even as you grow into, in my opinion, the greatest drummer of our generation!

Best,
W

Hi Gavin

I think you were asked this question a lot in the past but I'll ask it anyway. What are your thoughts on playing with a metronome. Do you do it (live, practice, studio) etc. What are your experiences with playing with a click etc. I just started using it in my practice, but I have the feeling it kinnda kills the overall groove. Thanks for the tips.

Hi Gavin

I think you were asked this question a lot in the past but I'll ask it anyway. What are your thoughts on playing with a metronome. Do you do it (live, practice, studio) etc. What are your experiences with playing with a click etc. I just started using it in my practice, but I have the feeling it kinnda kills the overall groove. Thanks for the tips.

When you use the search-function of this thread and you type "Metronome" into the input you'll get 5 sites with results!

Also check out www.askgavinharrison.com!
These are questions that are asked 1001 times...

Hey Gavin,

No questions here. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to come to the forums and answer questions. It's a pretty cool gesture on your part to check in with us fans every once in a while that is much appreciated!

Thanks again, & as Marc Bolan once said, "Rock On!"

--- Travis

Really great playing!! I like the swing time with some of the fusion/prog fills thrown in there.. makes it a "touch" modern!

I noticed in that vid two things - the VF sticks with stick grip and what appears to be a Korg Wavedrum on your left side?? If correct, what size sticks are you using there and how are you liking the Wavedrum? Is it comparable to something like a Roland SPD-S?

Hi Gavin, just wanted to start off by saying your drumming, personality and philosophy on playing is SUCH a huge inspiration to me. Having you drop by often to answer our questions is a wonderful thing, it's great to see drummers that really give back to the drumming community. Adoration and gushing praise aside, it's funny though, being able to talk to you here is much less daunting, that it probably would be if we were talking face-to-face (an opportunity which I would love to have some day), which is probably why this thread is so long, haha.

A lot of my interest is (like many) in your cymbal setup. I read that your chimes were cut down mid-sized K crashes, have you experimented with other lines of Zildjians and modifications to them? I have a 6" A which has a similar sound, so I was curious about that. Also, in regards to how you mounted them, do you mount them in a 'high to low' or similar fashion, or are they mounted depending on their sound? (for example, are there certain chimes that sound good in tandem with the ride bell and are placed to be easier to hit?)

Sorry if that got a bit technical, they are imho your signature sound, and one that I very much enjoy your use of, or 'musical embellishments' as you said in the 'drum fills' video. ;)

My other interest is with your 3 crashes, the MD Festival 2008 dvd shows you with an 18" Oriental Crash of Doom as your primary and two K crashes, and the new Guitar Center Sessions videos show you with two A's and a K. Was the change due to needing brighter crashes for your other music projects? Also, what led you to use the 18" Oriental Crash of Doom as your main crash? It sounds AMAZING in the MD Festival's Sound of Muzak performance.

Thanks again for being so active here and being open to our questions.

Hi Trip McNealy

I noticed in that vid two things - the VF sticks with stick grip and what appears to be a Korg Wavedrum on your left side?? If correct, what size sticks are you using there and how are you liking the Wavedrum? Is it comparable to something like a Roland SPD-S?

I tend to use two models of Vic Firth sticks (both with the Vic Grip which I can't do without now). For lighter things like playing and recording at home (and drum clinics) I use the 5A Extreme. On tour with PT I use the "rock" model. I really like the Korg Wavedrum because it uses the sound of the real drum head along with the electronics - so you feel a connection to it and that you're contributing to the sound. I don't really love situations where I'm just triggering samples at different volume levels - as is the case with some other electronic drums.

Hi mutzy

A lot of my interest is (like many) in your cymbal setup. I read that your chimes were cut down mid-sized K crashes, have you experimented with other lines of Zildjians and modifications to them? I have a 6" A which has a similar sound, so I was curious about that. Also, in regards to how you mounted them, do you mount them in a 'high to low' or similar fashion, or are they mounted depending on their sound?

Most of them were A Zildjians if I remember correctly. I set them out low to high (large to small) from left to right.

My other interest is with your 3 crashes, the MD Festival 2008 dvd shows you with an 18" Oriental Crash of Doom as your primary and two K crashes, and the new Guitar Center Sessions videos show you with two A's and a K. Was the change due to needing brighter crashes for your other music projects? Also, what led you to use the 18" Oriental Crash of Doom as your main crash? It sounds AMAZING in the MD Festival's Sound of Muzak performance.

The 18" Crash of Doom is a beauty - but I don't use it all the time. Of course I have quite a few cymbals and I tend to change them once in a while just for variation. The MD Fest was close to the time I was playing with King Crimson and the Crash Of Doom fitted that band very well in my opinion.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for the response, Gavin. Do you still use any of the cut down chimes, or are you using non-modified ones? I see the videos have the Zildjian logo on them, but can't see an 'A' or 'K' etc.

I read that the 18" Crash of doom is discontinued and Zildjian are only making the 20". Have you tried the 20", and is there any real difference between the two (other than size)?

Also, with your DW Drop Clutch, do you hit the bar with your hand or a stick? I have both the DW and Pearl drop clutches and while the DW is great to use the downward motion then sideways with the Pearl, it's much harder to disengage with a stick then the Pearl one due to a heavier spring. Did you modify yours at all?

Lastly, I know it's probably a long shot, but are there any plans down the track to do any clinics in Australia? The possibility of meeting you and getting my Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere dvds signed would be awesome.

Hey Mr. Harrison,

This is a rather strange question, but how hard do you think you're pressing down on the high hat pedal?

Thanks very much,
Nathan

HI GAVIN ,QUESTION. LEADING WITH RIGHT FOOT W/ DOUBLE BASS PEDALS IN 16 THS.PUTS LEFT FOOT ON E & AHS, BUT MY RIGHT FOOT IS STRONGER IF ITS ON E,S & AH,S BECAUSE I AM USED TO PLAYING 1/8 NOTES ON MY H/H, 1 + 2 + YOU KNOW ,BIT OF A PROBLEM, WITCH IS BETTER OR WITCH SHOULD I PRACTICE MORE ??????? ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA OR FIX.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

having watched the Guitar Center Video "When To Play Fills" some questions came to my mind.

Playing lengthy Drumsolos: I watched Jon Hiseman doing this, about half an hour and really exiting. It CAN work out, but mostly in a jazz-band setup, not in a rock band.

Playing bass: When did you start to play bass? As a bass player myself and self-taught drummer and percussionist I think there are a lot of similarities between bass and drums. What bass do you own and play?

And the "Killer Joe" Video is great, it would be nice to see more jazz and Big band things with you!

And a general, rather personal question, hope not too personal: Have you been a rather calm and quiet boy and the music helped to build your confidence?

Thanks

Andy Lux

When you're lookin at the development of the music industry in the last years,
how do you see it?
The teachers in my music school often tell us, that if you play more shows you get more money than selling cds. That is something that has changed in the last years.
What do you see in the next years? I'm sometimes worried that the chances of living as a musician becomes really difficult.

Last edited:
Hey Gavin,

I am working through your first book, rhythmic illusions, and had a question. (Great stuff by the way!)

Sometimes when playing the displaced patterns (ride pattern on e,a,e,a for example) I find myself starting off counting the A Status correctly in my head (or out loud), but once I repeat it a couple times, I just start feeling it as the B Status, and start counting it that way. It's still being played right, I'm just counting it and feeling it as if it were the B Status.

Do you have any advice on how to keep the A Status in your head, without shifting to the B Status? It's hard because once you start repeating it, they sound exactly the same, and it feels easier to count it by the B Status.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi mutzy

Do you still use any of the cut down chimes, or are you using non-modified ones? I see the videos have the Zildjian logo on them, but can't see an 'A' or 'K' etc.

Zildjian have made some custom ones for me - and they would be from the 'A' series.

I read that the 18" Crash of doom is discontinued and Zildjian are only making the 20". Have you tried the 20", and is there any real difference between the two (other than size)?

Yes I like the 20" too - they have similar characteristics.

Also, with your DW Drop Clutch, do you hit the bar with your hand or a stick? Did you modify yours at all?

It's not modified and I usually operate it with my hand.

Lastly, I know it's probably a long shot, but are there any plans down the track to do any clinics in Australia?

No plans to head down under anytime soon - sorry.

Hi yothatswack

This is a rather strange question, but how hard do you think you're pressing down on the high hat pedal?

As hard as I need - to achieve the required sound from the hi hat cymbals.

Hi astroandy

When did you start to play bass? As a bass player myself and self-taught drummer and percussionist I think there are a lot of similarities between bass and drums. What bass do you own and play?

I started messing around on my first bass about 25 years ago. The bass I have now is an old Yamaha BB1100S which has four strings set up like the lower four strings of a 5 string bass (if that makes sense) so B, E, A, D

Hi crystalfunky

When you're lookin at the development of the music industry in the last years,
how do you see it?

sad decline.

What do you see in the next years? I'm sometimes worried that the chances of living as a musician becomes really difficult.

there will always be music - it doesn't mean that lots of people want to pay for it though. Yes playing live is an important way to go. There always were obstacles - you just have to be creative to make a living as a musician these days.

Hi daredrummer

Sometimes when playing the displaced patterns (ride pattern on e,a,e,a for example) I find myself starting off counting the A Status correctly in my head (or out loud), but once I repeat it a couple times, I just start feeling it as the B Status, and start counting it that way. It's still being played right, I'm just counting it and feeling it as if it were the B Status.

This question came up not long ago - maybe a page or two back. Don't switch your mind into the B Status at all. Fight the urge and hear it as a completely new pattern.

cheers
Gavin

Back