Gavin Harrison here!

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yes everything I've ever recorded has been quantised.
Could you elaborate on that? I understand that you're using a click when you're recording so what else is there? Are you pulling every note onto the "grid" of time, and if so, where does that leave any feel from you? Thanks!

jim arnold

HI GAVIN ,QUESTION. LEADING WITH RIGHT FOOT W/ DOUBLE BASS PEDALS IN 16 THS.PUTS LEFT FOOT ON E & AHS, BUT MY RIGHT FOOT IS STRONGER IF ITS ON E,S & AH,S BECAUSE I AM USED TO PLAYING 1/8 NOTES ON MY H/H, 1 + 2 + YOU KNOW ,BIT OF A PROBLEM, WITCH IS BETTER OR WITCH SHOULD I PRACTICE MORE ??????? ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA OR FIX.
-------------------- CAN"T ANYONE COMMIT ON THIS QUESTION OTHER THAN PRACTICE MORE OR HARDER,ANYONE HAVE A GOOD ANSWER OR METHOD OR IS QUESTION TO HARD ?????????

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi jim arnold

QUESTION. LEADING WITH RIGHT FOOT W/ DOUBLE BASS PEDALS IN 16 THS.PUTS LEFT FOOT ON E & AHS, BUT MY RIGHT FOOT IS STRONGER IF ITS ON E,S & AH,S BECAUSE I AM USED TO PLAYING 1/8 NOTES ON MY H/H, 1 + 2 + YOU KNOW ,BIT OF A PROBLEM, WITCH IS BETTER OR WITCH SHOULD I PRACTICE MORE ??????? ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA OR FIX.

It might be better if you didn't write everything in capital letters. It comes across like you are SHOUTING AT US. Regarding your question: If you just want to start on the beat and play 16ths then yes your method will be fine. I always start with my right foot even if the pattern begins on an 'E' or 'A' - in which case I would be pedaling as you describe - and sometimes I play a triplet or herta in the middle of a pattern that means I would be pedaling the other way - right foot on the beat. I think it would be best to not limit yourself to always getting the left foot on the beat - but rather get equally comfortable playing both ways. What would happen if you wanted to play 16ths on the bass drum during an odd time signature like 15/16 or 11/16 for instance? Also what about triplets and patterns that were 16ths mixed with triplets?

good luck
Gavin

jim arnold

s
Sorry, Didn't mean to yell ,I have one eye and deformed fingers and poor grammar, Its just easier to type in caps. Drumming is my release ,sorry and thanks for tip. Jim

SimSalaBim

Hi Gavin

Can you tell what is your opinion on all the illegal file and music sharing. Do you thing it affects the music and in what way? Do you do it:)

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi SimSalaBim,
if you look back on the previous page you'll see I kind of already answered that...and NO I don't illegally download.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
OK Folks here's the details of my up coming UK & Ireland clinic tour:

An evening of drums/music & chat plus a full support.

"Gavin Harrison does his first clinic tour in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales in 12 years".

The clinic tour is being organized by www.mikedolbear.com and supported by Sonor drums, Zildjian cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Remo drum heads, Hardcase drum cases and Hudson Music.

The dates and shops are:

Sunday June 5th Swansea "Drumnutt" 01792 301010 info@drumnutt.com

Monday June 6th Dublin "XMusic" 00353 1411 1100 info@xmusic.ie

Tuesday June 7th Manchester "Manchester Drum centre" 0161 789 4415 info@manchesterdrum.com

Wednesday June 8th Bradford "Northern drum centre" 01274 371271 info@northerndrumcentre.com

Thursday June 9th Gateshead "The drum shop" 0191 495 0201

Friday June 10th Edinburgh "Drum Central" 0131 667 3844/0141 552 0111 contact@drumcentral.co.uk

Sunday June 12th Colchester “Orchard Percussion” masterclass 01206 271634 orchardpercussion@keme.co.uk

Monday June 13th Chesham "The Drum Shed" 01494 793786 support@thedrumshed.co.uk

hope to see you along the way!!!

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

piperdoog

Silver Member
Very cool Gavin,
I have a question if I may, you are obviously familiar with Sonor stuff, I am hitting the studio soon, with as S Classix Birch kit should I stick with the coated Emperor heads over clear Ambass or go with clear Emperors for the batter. Usually I'm using a maple with coated just wasn't sure about the birch and the best sound. Wish I could come see a clinic however can't.
Congrats on all your success.
Cheers

mutzy

Hey Gavin, how often do you have to replace your 13" K Hihats? They look like they cop a heckuva beating and the top hat is relatively thin...