Do you remember when...

How about songs that tried to start a dance move, and it just didn't go over very well

ZZ Top
Hey, look at the hooks
On your pants makes you want to dance.
I say yeah yeah,
I say yeah yeah.
There ain't never a catch, all you got to do is snatch,
Do the velcro fly,
Do the velcro fly.

This still happens quite a bit, as hip-hop has sort of taken over (the US at least) as the standard of pop music, most of the dances are based on hip-hop songs.

There was one a few years ago about a whip motion and something else that I forget. Just go on youtube, and you can see tons of teenagers performing the dances, and teaching the dance steps, along to the music on video.

Almost every hip-hop or pop song today also has some signature moves, where certain parts of the song require a certain dance move, but the rest is open to interpretation.

When I was in High School, the "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show was what the coolest kids liked. I was never one of the cool kids.

"The Mess Around" by Ray Charles comes to mind, not sure if that was supposed to be a dance.

More recently, "The Wobble" I used to hear that one every time I went out.

Also "The Electric Slide", "YMCA", and any song from the 50's about Twisting.

I wrote one in my band in the same vein, a cheeky take on the dance songs of the 50's and 70's that's about dying in a nuclear explosion. We never did make a dance to go with it although I did notice that drunk people and children did the same little jump on the tempo change parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkQXC5V0ezw&index=9&list=PLTWTVjtD6soteMafu8wMroGHyJbLya3c9

Has anyone mentioned everyones favorite wedding dance, The Chicken Dance?

Back