Zildjian Ride Suggestions

johnbarnesiii

Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up a Zildjian ride and was wondering if you have suggestions based on my style & needs. I am a rock drummer and currently play a 22" Sabian AA Medium ride.

I tend to wash on the ride quite a bit so I'm looking for a ride with a good wash that doesn't sound like a thick clunk of metal when washed, but that also has some decent stick definition when not crashing on it but simply using as a ride.

I love the 'K' series and as crashes I have a 19" K crash on my left and a 20" K crash/ride as my second crash on my right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In keeping with your K's, check out the 22" K Series Light ride (also comes in a 24" but I personally favour the 22". To my ear it's just a more musical cymbal). Don't be afraid to try out a 21" Avedis Series Sweet ride whilst you're on your travels too.

check out a custum z ride 20 they are very loud with great stick definition super when riding...

I used a 20" A Medium Ride for a few years. Nice definition and a good heavy crash, it opens up quite well. Also own a 21" Sweet Ride which is my main ride now, it's better for getting that washy sound. Has less definition, but it's still enough for what I need.

The ride I used in my band's recordings on our facebook page (link in my signature) is my sweet ride. Most of the crash-riding sections were done on that or one of my crashes, but it's easy to tell which is which.

The 21" K crash ride is nice, very similar to the Sweet ride but a little darker.

I agree with all the above,but if you can find an A Zildjian Rock 21 model from the 70's,it will deliver what you speak of.Not the current 21 rock ride....vintage Rock 21.Never should have sold it,and I am still lookin for one like it.Good luck.

Steve B

A couple months ago I found an A 22" Medium Ride. I used to have one that didn't crash all that well (and I eventually cracked it trying!), but this one is much thinner. It's not quite as thin as a Sweet Ride but pretty close. It will crash nicely if you lay into it, but also has enough definition to keep it playable as a ride. When I first heard and played this cymbal, I was surprised and delighted, so I bought it. It goes great with my 20" K Crash/Ride, 19 A Custom Crash, and 14" New Beats (as well as an assortment of Sabians I have).

Of the two you gave links for, it's pretty hard to say. Zildjian's never been known for their sound files that give a good idea what their cymbals sound like (IMO, only Paiste's been able to figure that out). But I did play on a 22" K Dark Medium once (was strongly considering buying it) but it was too trashy and hard to control for my taste. Maybe it was that particular cymbal, but it was pretty far from what I wanted - I actually like brighter rides...

Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up a Zildjian ride and was wondering if you have suggestions based on my style & needs. I am a rock drummer and currently play a 22" Sabian AA Medium ride.

I tend to wash on the ride quite a bit so I'm looking for a ride with a good wash that doesn't sound like a thick clunk of metal when washed, but that also has some decent stick definition when not crashing on it but simply using as a ride.

I love the 'K' series and as crashes I have a 19" K crash on my left and a 20" K crash/ride as my second crash on my right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A Sweet Ride. Definitely. Best ride I've tried.

Why limit yourself to Zildjian? There are so many companies to choose from?

Especially since you currently play Sabian and want to move to Zildjian- basically its the same company.

I personally would only go with Saluda- but that's my choice. They make me whatever type/sound I'm looking for.

Go into as many stores as you can and hit as many things as you can- let your ears do the deciding for you.

Why limit yourself to Zildjian? There are so many companies to choose from?

Especially since you currently play Sabian and want to move to Zildjian- basically its the same company.

I personally would only go with Saluda- but that's my choice. They make me whatever type/sound I'm looking for.

Go into as many stores as you can and hit as many things as you can- let your ears do the deciding for you.
Why shouldn't he limit himself to Zildjian? You've limited yourself to Saluda, what's the difference? He likes Zildjian, you like Saluda. Live and let live.

And Zildjian and Sabian are not the same company. There's a common history and that's pretty much where it stops, the way I see it.

Back