Zildjian entering the E-kit competition

It's interesting to see how many drummers ^^^ regard e-drums as a threat.

Secondly, can anyone name, a cymbal maker that made a good drum or -- and this has been more common -- a drum maker that made a good cymbal?

There's a reason McDonalds doesn't sell pizza -- and it tried. For years, it tried.

Son of Vistalite Black agrees that there's a bigger market for less-loud-than-acoustic drums, but, so far, no example comes to mind of a drummer who started out on an electronic kit and made the leap to the acoustic drumming big time.

The biggest barrier keeping kids today from becoming drummers is Moms who refuse to welcome in a house-shaking set of Ludwigs or Tamas to be hammered on by an wholly inexperienced amateur with a 15-second attention span and a hyper-sensitivity to being judged or yelled at.

Why thank you for including that incredibly widely known tidbit of information .
You’re the one who acted like he was just the vp of Remo. Unless your point was that being their vp meant that he would be happy to sell bad products?

Last edited:
You’re the one who acted like he was just the vp of Remo.

Dude I am 62 years old and have been playing drums for over 55 years - you honestly think I would not know who Louie Bellson is ? My comment about him being a VP of Remo is in response to the comment by JDA about Louie using a Remo kit . Obviously as an initial investor and VP of Remo it would be pretty much expected that he would promote Remo by using a Remo Kit.

For me, an eKit is secondary when i want to play at night and not bother others in the house or neighbors. Secondly, there was no way for me to sit down on the typical eKits, rubber cymbals, pie plate pads, etc. i decided to convert one of my acoustic kits for that reason, real drums, real metal cymbals etc. absolutely will never replicate an acoustic kit.
What i like about zildjian kit is the cymbals. Real zildjian L80 cymbals. I converted both L80 and Gen16 cymbals and are fantastic to play.

Now for the price tag 😱. I will never have the opportunity to have any of these top end kits, like DW SoundWorks, or Zildjian. As someone mentioned, i would be dropping 5K-6k on a sonor vintage kit 😎.

Just my $.02 worth ✌️

I'm sold. Just don't have the space and the budget, but love all the research that went into it and the rising competition in the space that may lead to better and more options in the long run. And just look at how pretty it is!

Last edited:
To me it looks like a Taye or Crush kit from 10-20 years ago. I don’t want to pay 5K to look like I paid 1K.

• Haha
Reactions: I-P
very interesting interview:

Looking at the back of the module pic though, I like the individual outputs and the connections for 4 crashes or whatever, but the toms end at 4, and no extra inputs for normal triggers? That's kinda silly. Especially now, as they don't sell extra cymbals (yet?), so if you need anything, you can only use "normal" ones, but there is nowhere to plug them.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 21.46.26.jpg

Can’t be difficult to modify the connectors to do so … IF … those inputs can have anything but cymbal samples connected to them.

i suspect some thought went into choosing the rj45 connectors to keep people from buying the Zildjian cymbals to go with their other drum brains.

i suspect some thought went into choosing the rj45 connectors to keep people from buying the Zildjian cymbals to go with their other drum brains.
That must be a plus, but I think the main reason is having 8 wires in an ethernet cable to carry signals.

Another article mentioning this and what sounds like the kit having round robin samples (yay):

there were some very good Remo drum sets ask Louie Bellson
That's what I always understood as well; the Remo acousticon shell snares were very desirable. I play one with a Mondo head on it every Sunday at my church gig. Great sound.

The 90 degree cable end attachment going underneath the cymbal is a big design flaw. That is destined to fail. Not only will gravity work against that but also the natural motion of the cymbal swinging will put tremendous stress on that and cause the cable to pull out of the "plug" within months of regular play. They should have either made it a straight cable coming vertical from the cymbal or made the receiving end attached to the cymbal be horizontal so the 90 degree cable hangs vertically. Even a $400 alesis kit has this figured out.

Back