Zambizzi kit's

That's a STAVE kit? Damn! where's the seams? Superlative craftsmanship. You are a true master sir.

Meh, I prefer a pink flame wrap, blue hardware and yellow hoops. That's just too classy to look any good. They probably even sound like a comfy leather sofa, 100-year-old Scotch whisky, Cuban cigars and Miles Davis' Birth of Cool. You should definitely get one of these to complement your kit

You sir, are fashion-forward. I tried to get Frank to wrap it with camouflage fabric that glows in the dark...but he pretended he couldn't understand English at that point and (accidentally?) hung up the phone. Maybe I'll need a butler, too?

Abe - I think I'm ready to settle down. I'm pretty sure these will sour me on anything else...that'd be a good thing.

trkdrmr - I think this is about as thin as Frank makes his stave shells. As I understand it; because they're almost entirely solid wood and vertically-grained, the sound transfers far more efficiently and will sound like a much thinner shell. DMC could school you on the theory behind it. I think the answer is no, though - they'll be very much like thin-shelled plywood drums but with greater projection and presence.

As far as the staves being seamless...Frank did a phenomenal job on this one, just amazing. I can't wait to inspect them up close. I've seen another kit built from wood from the same tree for another one of Frank's customers...and these pics don't do it justice. The wood grain is much more detailed and colorful. I'll take lots of great pics when they get here.

Amazing work! The best aspect is that it looks seamless, and it's stave!

I have only heard a tama bubinga, I am wondering if the thicker staves make it a higher pitched kit?

In a ply shell, the veneers are are crosswise to each other and that tends to cancel out/moderate the resonance of individual wood grains. Glue also interferes with resonance but drum makers never, ever talk about the presence of glue and how it affects sound.

In stave and solid shell kits, all the grains of wood are aligned with each other. Sound is transferred directly from the bearing edge down through the body of the shell and into the sound chamber and each grain of wood acts as a micro-resonator. The result is a great combination of projection and warmth. In stave and solid-shell construction, a thicker shell can be just a resonant as a thin ply shell. A stave shell has about 1 percent of the wood of a ply shell and a natural whole wood solid shell has no glue whatsoever.

The trade-off is that ply shells are easier to make, more durable and less subject to splitting, warping and cracking. Plywood's superior strength and workability make it preferred for building construction and mass-produced drum kits. But if a stave drum is built well and cared for, it will last just as long as any ply kit.

Looks like excellent craftsmanship!! Good job!

Hey Shane - I think I might go with Tama Star-Cast (newer aluminum model) for the small toms, is this something I can get through you? I'd want the necessary die-cast hoops and matching hoops for all the other drums.

PM or email me if ya can?

Absolutely stunning. I know the claws don't match, but I LOVE the way the black looks on that bass drum.... Congrats.

Hey Shane - I think I might go with Tama Star-Cast (newer aluminum model) for the small toms, is this something I can get through you? I'd want the necessary die-cast hoops and matching hoops for all the other drums.

PM or email me if ya can?

I went with StarCast for my drums but they were Godawful ugly and industrial looking when I put them on my drums. I returned them and went with Gauger RIMS mounts, which are brushed aluminum and more discreet.

Maybe these newer aluminum models look better but I'd buy locally and put them on my drums to check out the appearance. If you don't like them you can return them. It's a matter of personal taste but clunky hardware could detract from those very beautiful drums.

I went with StarCast for my drums but they were Godawful ugly and industrial looking when I put them on my drums. I returned them and went with Gauger RIMS mounts, which are brushed aluminum and more discreet.

Maybe these newer aluminum models look better but I'd buy locally and put them on my drums to check out the appearance. If you don't like them you can return them. It's a matter of personal taste but clunky hardware could detract from those very beautiful drums.

The older ones are ugly as hell but the ones made after 2006 are really nice:

SC-SC1.jpg

546027.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, make sure you send those drums to Florida first to the Unix Southern Division Test Center for moisture and hurricane testing. I will send them on when testing has been completed.

On a serious note The TV show How It's Made is shot in Canada. You really need to get a hold of those folks and arrange to show them a real masters work.

Frank, make sure you send those drums to Florida first to the Unix Southern Division Test Center for moisture and hurricane testing. I will send them on when testing has been completed.

On a serious note The TV show How It's Made is shot in Canada. You really need to get a hold of those folks and arrange to show them a real masters work.

There has been a ply and streambent How It's Made. I'm not sure about Stave, Unix would be the prime example of how to make amazing stave kits!

In a ply shell, the veneers are are crosswise to each other and that tends to cancel out/moderate the resonance of individual wood grains. Glue also interferes with resonance but drum makers never, ever talk about the presence of glue and how it affects sound.

In stave and solid shell kits, all the grains of wood are aligned with each other. Sound is transferred directly from the bearing edge down through the body of the shell and into the sound chamber and each grain of wood acts as a micro-resonator. The result is a great combination of projection and warmth. In stave and solid-shell construction, a thicker shell can be just a resonant as a thin ply shell. A stave shell has about 1 percent of the wood of a ply shell and a natural whole wood solid shell has no glue whatsoever.

The trade-off is that ply shells are easier to make, more durable and less subject to splitting, warping and cracking. Plywood's superior strength and workability make it preferred for building construction and mass-produced drum kits. But if a stave drum is built well and cared for, it will last just as long as any ply kit.

I looked into a stave kit after seeing this post. Fascinating stuff, and real eye-candy. The kits however, don't come cheap. Maybe...if I ever need a bop kit...or a snare.

I looked into a stave kit after seeing this post. Fascinating stuff, and real eye-candy. The kits however, don't come cheap. Maybe...if I ever need a bop kit...or a snare.

Well you sure didn't look into Unix, because I am not pricier than any pro kit out there, ask Zambizzi or any body else in private they will tell you.

I'm sure you'd be pleasantly surprised. While not "cheap" - you'll certainly spend less than you will on a high-end DW kit or some customizer shop who puts fancy finishes on Keller shells, like SJC, etc.

Ha! Frank beat me to the punch.

Well you sure didn't look into Unix, because I am not pricier than any pro kit out there, ask Zambizzi or any body else in private they will tell you.

Actually, you are correct sir. The brands I found were Hard Bop and Artisan. Your page was under construction, and therefore impossible to determine a kit cost. I'll check back in january when I return to the USA. A stave snare would be a fine addition to my kit. I did not e-mail an inquiry because I have a custom kit in work that I am financially comitted to at the moment.

Your work looks completely first class!

Quebecois? I am studying French (Rosetta stone) while I am deployed. I should have a pretty good vocabulary by the time I return in January.

wow, great kit. Cool to see something else then a 4 piece from Unix :).
My dream config would be 7 piece, but having that made custom will be a dream all my life I am afraid ;-).

Zambizzi: Enjoy your kit!

Wow, those do look nice. I checked some out in 2006 and they must have been older models.

Yeah I like 'em better than anything I've seen out there...RIMS being a close second. I like Ludwig's version of it too, very minimalist.

What I like about these is the fact that it's so unobtrusive - you can get the toms right snug together and the mounts are barely visible. They also attach to the hoop rather than the tension rods or lugs (as I understand it?) Sure, I'd be stuck w/ Tama's die-cast hoops but they're nice and I wanted die-cast anyhow.

Back